Silly Christofacsists on CNN burning Harry Potter books - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2005, 11:13 AM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Yes. Doesn't that explain "Christofascists," "Christianists," and the "Christian Taliban"?

I really love that last term myself.
Ironic how some here spend more time shredding on the "Christian Taliban" than the actual Taliban itself...

Old 07-18-2005, 11:17 AM   #122
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Hey. You haven't been around here in a while.

Old 07-18-2005, 11:17 AM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:34 PM
Quote:

Yes. Doesn't that explain "Christofascists," "Christianists," and the "Christian Taliban"?

I really love that last term myself.

Melon
melon,if that's your idea of distinction, it's honestly kind of weak. Imagine that a person new to teh forum doesn't know how you feel. Imagine that he reads "the Christian Taliban" from you. Is teher anything in that would tell him that you are only calling some Christians The Taliban, and not applying it to all Christians? No, there's really not.

But even that level of distinction is not always made, and I'm sure you're aware of that. You've said things against Christians witout specifying that you're talking about a "certain brand". So have others.

So what Irvine said about everyone always taking great steps to distinguish between "Christian types" is simply not true.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:20 AM   #124
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Hey. You haven't been around here in a while.
Not for a while, no. I moved out and have no internet at home. I'll try to keep bugging you guys whenever I can though.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:21 AM   #125
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Not for a while, no. I moved out and have no internet at home.
That explains it. I thought you might have been doing exams or something.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:23 AM   #126
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
Wow.

Such a chance here for an important debate, and yet so much tit-for-tat (no, YOU answer MY question, MY point is this, I won't respond to other points )

Here a few thoughts from a liberal Christian lit. geek.

Antriam's point that a Christian's time is better spent serving his "least brothers" is well taken and should be emphasized.

I'd also like to emphasize, not as a Christian but as a Tolkein fan and lit. teacher, that LOTR is NOT an allegory. Tolkein went to great lenghts to make this point in numerous interviews and reflectinos on his work. As has been pointed out here, he made this criticism of Lewis's Narnia. Allegories, Chrisitan or otherwise, tend to be a bit reductive and ham-handed. LOTR is far more than an allegory--though is does have some Chrisitian, Arthurian and Celtic background of course. This is nit-picky, I realize, but that's what fans do I guess.

Finally, do these folks have the legal right to burn books? Well, yes, I suppose so, just as flag-burners do. Basic rationality, though, suggests that putting $ into JKR's pocket is self-defeating. Just as it suggests that not being able to see the basic logical contradictions that BVS has aptly noted is childish. So too is judging a book that one hasn't read (just common sense here...the book is sinful, no...why would they read it?)

And regarding Nazi comparisons, it is totally legit to recognize the historical FACT that 1. these folks are burning books and 2. Nazis did as well. If they wish to avoid Nazi comparisons, they should choose another method. It's also legit and even wise to note that such legal yet fanatical actions are how things like the Holocaust begin. Now, do I think it's likely at all that such book burnings here will lead to a holocaust against non-Christians (or "bad" Christians). Not at all--happily, these book-burners are in the fringe minority, and to argue that one WILL lead to the another is the slippery slope fallacy. But noting potential early warning signs of a potential violent conflict is valid IMHO.

Anyway, my thoughts.
That was a particularly well stated post.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:26 AM   #127
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Yeah, Irvine goes to great length to distinguish between Christians. Those Christians who believe that every word in the Bible is true are "dangerous".

you know, you've never said anything that ever actually angered me.

until now.

you only see what you want to see, you only read the words that serve whatever persecution complex you have. if you go back and read the earlier thread, you'll find something quite different.

for now, get off the Cross, 80s. we need the wood.

woe is you.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #128
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
melon,if that's your idea of distinction, it's honestly kind of weak. Imagine that a person new to teh forum doesn't know how you feel. Imagine that he reads "the Christian Taliban" from you. Is teher anything in that would tell him that you are only calling some Christians The Taliban, and not applying it to all Christians? No, there's really not.
Would you rather I call them "fundamentalists"?

I think we can agree that the Christian Taliban does not represent all Christians.

Melon
Old 07-18-2005, 11:28 AM   #129
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Funny how the people who defend flag burnings ridicule this act of free speech (as silly as it may be).

i don't think anyone's saying they shouldn't be *allowed* to burn the books.

we (or at least i) are just saying that they're simple minded fools.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:28 AM   #130
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Things like the Holocaust begin when people start thinking that no one besides their race, or their "type" of people, is worth having around. The Holocaust didn't come about because the Nazis burned a few books. The holocaust came around because Hitler and his kind envisioned a master race and hated anyone who didn't fit into that mold.
The problem is that a lot of the people who burn these book do believe they are better than others and do want to prevent others from living their lives (I bet you that the book burners are also anti gay marriage -- and that is trying to rule someone else's life).

Whereas they should all come to their senses and realise that I, and only I, am correct, damn it!
Old 07-18-2005, 11:29 AM   #131
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Ironic how some here spend more time shredding on the "Christian Taliban" than the actual Taliban itself...
That's because the actual Taliban has been superceded by the endless specter that is "Iraq."

After all, who even hears a peep about Afghanistan anymore in the media?

Melon
Old 07-18-2005, 11:29 AM   #132
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

But even that level of distinction is not always made, and I'm sure you're aware of that. You've said things against Christians witout specifying that you're talking about a "certain brand". So have others.

So what Irvine said about everyone always taking great steps to distinguish between "Christian types" is simply not true.

only someone looking to be offended would think that "Christian Taliban" applies to all Christians.

there you go again, 80s, that whole "I think that you think."

i wonder how you'd react to actual stereotyping and oppression...
Old 07-18-2005, 11:29 AM   #133
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I think we can agree that the Christian Taliban does not represent all Christians.

Melon
I think "twits" is an appropriate term.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #134
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I think "twits" is an appropriate term.
I can only imagine the reaction if we used the term "Christian Nazis."

After all, Sen. Rick "man on dog" Santorum thought it was alright to refer to liberals as "Nazis."

Melon
Old 07-18-2005, 11:34 AM   #135
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Melon
What kind of Christians does it represent?