Silly Christofacsists on CNN burning Harry Potter books - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2005, 08:23 PM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

Then quite simply these peoples' belief is wrong in this case. Harry Potter no more promotes sorcery and witchcraft than Star Wars "promotes" using the force or The Lord of the Rings "promotes" fighting the undead.

It is a work of fantasy and fiction whose central theme is the fight between good and evil. You would think Christians wouldn't be so upset at that.
Whether they are right or wrong is not the issue with me. The issue with me is the reactionary comments, calling them mentally deranged comparing them to Nazis, The Talbin, and the KKK.

Good grief, the decision of liberal judges to allow imenent domain by private industry raised less fuss than this topic, and it's much more important. But you didn't see me calling those judges "communists".

Old 07-17-2005, 08:36 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

So why bother responding?
Oh I'm sorry, did I say the wrong thing? Alright, it's a very important debate then. Happy?

Also, my original post made quite clear the one reason why I AM responding.

Old 07-17-2005, 08:40 PM   #93
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Whether they are right or wrong is not the issue with me. The issue with me is the reactionary comments, calling them mentally deranged...
Yet no one has really challenged my rebuttals...
Old 07-17-2005, 08:56 PM   #94
War Child

Local Time: 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

deranged - To upset the normal condition or functioning of.
Convenient you left out the "mentally" part.

deranged - To disturb mentally; make insane.

Quote:

But hey that have every right, but yes I stand by the fact that they are not functioning on a normal adult logic.
Logic is objective, it works on absolutes, 1's and 0's. Here we are dealing with your subjective opinion, since the "logic" of what these people are doing cannot be empirically measured to a pre-defined set of standards, it is impossible for you to assess that they are "not functioning on a normal adult logic", what you are expressing is just another opinion, nothing more.

Of course, maybe you can actually back up your assertion somehow that what you posted is more than just the yang to their yin, as far as I can tell you're just the other extreme, a mirror image.

A wise man once said: "There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't".
Old 07-17-2005, 08:56 PM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

BVS, you have not been paying attention, paying attention (thank you, Thom Yorke). This thread is about SEMANTICS. Not about Harry Potter. But about who chose which lateral comparison and then the non sequitur that followed each of them.

So you will get no rebuttal from anyone.

Grim.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:01 PM   #96
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:41 PM
I wonder if the book burners themselves would defend others' right to burn Bibles or flags?
Old 07-17-2005, 09:10 PM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:41 PM
Frankly, I'm glad these folks got airtime on CNN, burning copies of Harry Potter.

Makes it sooo much easier for me to identify those who, IN MY OPINION, are mental midgets. And now that I know who they are, I can avoid their company. If for no other reason than that, I support a person's right to burn a book or a flag or an effigy - whatever.

And the only foray I'm going to make into the "is it an expression of fear or an expression of opinion" debate is this: If the only goal is to say to the world 'Hey - I think Harry Potter promotes evil and is detrimental to children & I beseech you not to read it!', then why not a peaceful, non-incendiary protests outside bookstores and the like? Make some signs, chant a catchy slogan, etc. Why burn a pile of books unless your message is actually 'This story is so vile and putrid, the only way to fight its evil is to burn as many copies as we can - irradicate them from the Earth!' ?????? Why the overkill? And I'm asking because I really want to know -- I'm not just trying to stir up a hornet's nest here.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:10 PM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

What rebuttal?
Old 07-17-2005, 09:14 PM   #99
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

Convenient you left out the "mentally" part.

deranged - To disturb mentally; make insane.
Um, no. First you make the comparison with your child and a mental DISORDER, but I don't think you would call your child insane. Mentally deranged does not mean INSANE.

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

Logic is objective, it works on absolutes, 1's and 0's. Here we are dealing with your subjective opinion, since the "logic" of what these people are doing cannot be empirically measured to a pre-defined set of standards, it is impossible for you to assess that they are "not functioning on a normal adult logic", what you are expressing is just another opinion, nothing more.

Of course, maybe you can actually back up your assertion somehow that what you posted is more than just the yang to their yin, as far as I can tell you're just the other extreme, a mirror image.

A wise man once said: "There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't".
So one can't assess normal adult logic? You just said it's objective, that it works on absolutes. So how does this make sense?

You have 5 items that are same, just different names, colors, and time periods, but you only label one as being evil? How is this logical? Please tell me.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:17 PM   #100
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

What rebuttal?
The fact that the fairy tales these parents grew up with and the movies they take their children to are the same exact stories yet somehow aren't evil enough to burn...I see no logic in that. Do you?
Old 07-17-2005, 09:19 PM   #101
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

BVS, you have not been paying attention, paying attention (thank you, Thom Yorke). This thread is about SEMANTICS. Not about Harry Potter. But about who chose which lateral comparison and then the non sequitur that followed each of them.

So you will get no rebuttal from anyone.

Grim.
True.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:58 PM   #102
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville

Oh I'm sorry, did I say the wrong thing? Alright, it's a very important debate then. Happy?

Also, my original post made quite clear the one reason why I AM responding.
Pseudo 'intellectual' twat.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:16 PM   #103
War Child

Local Time: 12:41 AM
Quote:

So one can't assess normal adult logic? You just said it's objective, that it works on absolutes. So how does this make sense?

You have 5 items that are same, just different names, colors, and time periods, but you only label one as being evil? How is this logical? Please tell me.
You've lost it.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:40 PM   #104
Refugee

Quote:
Makes it sooo much easier for me to identify those who, IN MY OPINION, are mental midgets
Unless you have a photographic memory, it seems that it would be impossible to ever realize if you run into one of these mental midgets ever again.

Unless your grouping 'all christians' up with these folks.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:23 AM   #105
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris

Unless your grouping 'all christians' up with these folks.

everyone on this board goes to great lengths to distinguish between different stripes of Christianity, and even to spell out the rather obvious implied point that, no, these are not *all* christians. the only people who ever use the word "all christians" are the christians themselves who are out looking to be offended and to increase their persecution/victim complex.