Silly Christofacsists on CNN burning Harry Potter books - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2005, 01:18 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I think these people have the right to protest. If they think Harry Potter is demonic or whatever, I think they're nuts, but I also think they have the right to said nutty opinions. After all, I also think the Ku Klux Klan has freedom of speech rights, as much as I detest their ideas.
I know that you are not comparing these people to the KKK. I do know that. But I only know that based on who I think you are form your other posts.

However, I think you should be careful when mentioning the KKK in the same breath with the book burners, as it might be natural to assume that you were making a comparison.

Old 07-17-2005, 01:21 PM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

I know that you are note comparing these people to the KKK. I do know that. But I only know that based on who I think you are form your other posts.

However, I think you should be careful when mentioning the KKK in the same breath with the book burners, as it might be natural to assume that you were making a comparison.
Such a comparison would be appropriate.

The KKK want to stir up hatred against blacks, while the bookburners want to stir up hatred against Pagans.

I see no essential difference.

Old 07-17-2005, 01:25 PM   #78
Blue Crack Supplier

i dunno ... i think the image of people tossing Harry Potter books onto an open fire is so hilarious that they've pretty much indicted themselves as simple-minded and paranoid and really not worthy of this much discussion. of course they have the right to burn HP books, just as black ministers have the right to smash violent and obscene rap/hip-hop CDs.

and they all make asses out of themselves. let them continue to do so. especially as we've finally seen some good news in education -- our elementary school kids have made dramatic strides in reading in recent years. and i'd say that's much to do with Harry Potter.

but i assume those who burn HP books probably aren't all that into reading in the first place. or at least reading things that might *gasp* not be fully in accordance with their worldview!!!

it amazes me when people attack pieces of fiction -- and i have the same reaction when GLAAD went after Eminem. it's all embarassingly patronizing to the people such groups are saying they are trying to protect. in works of fiction, characters make decisions. they sometimes make decisions that you or i would never ourselves make. but, if the work of fiction is done well, you follow the characters through their decision making processes and understand that life is complicated, and that there's more than one way to do things, and that bad people sometimes do good things and that good people sometimes do bad things and that no one is either all good or all bad and that the point of fiction is not to instill morals and values but to give us a mirror so that we might examine our own morals and values and come to question them. perhaps our morals and values are reaffirmed, perhaps they are challenged, but the important thing is to get people to THINK about how they live and why they live that way, and about how to think about the ways in which we have been taught to think.

but such a process is no match for the adrenaline rush of tossing a book onto a fire. garrrrh!

morons.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:30 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Such a comparison would be appropriate.

The KKK want to stir up hatred against blacks, while the bookburners want to stir up hatred against Pagans.

I see no essential difference.
This book burning has nothing to do with "stirring up hatred against pagans". The people burning this book are doing so because they believe the books promote sorcery and witchcraft. They are taking a stand against that and are showing people what they think.

It's simply a form of protest, and that's it. When people were protesting the Vietnam war, do you think they were trying to stir up hatred against the soldiers? No, they were trying to stop what they felt was an unjust war.

The KKK were infamous for burning crosses on people's yards, but that was the least of the damge they did; they dragged blacks out of their homes and off the street to lynch and murder them. Bookburnings pale in comparison to that.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:52 PM   #80
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:06 PM
Quote:

No, they are not. They are expressing their feelings toward the books themselves.

Throughout history book burning was not just a sign of protest but more of a means to actually rid the society of these books. Now of course these people can't actually do this, but it's a symbolic way to rid society of this book.

So I do believe this to be out of fear.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:04 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Throughout history book burning was not just a sign of protest but more of a means to actually rid the society of these books. Now of course these people can't actually do this, but it's a symbolic way to rid society of this book.

So I do believe this to be out of fear.
Yeah, there's a reason they're burning the books, not ceremoniously chucking them in a dumpster or scribbling on them with Magic Markers.

I wonder if they know how stupid they look. Idiots.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:51 PM   #82
Refugee

Quote:
it amazes me when people attack pieces of fiction
Like the Turner Diaries...
Old 07-17-2005, 04:05 PM   #83
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris

that was more of a how-to book. especially the whole flying-the-airplane-with-the-bomb-into-the-pentagon part.

it is and should be legal to publish crap lke that. though i think it would be better to attack it's total lack of any and all literary merit rather than the crap it's pushing.

so, anyway, did you have a point you were trying to make? or did you just want to bring out a very, very extreme piece of writing and somehow make the comparison that people who react negatively to a book about the White Supremecist overthrow of the Zionist governmend and their black henchmen are every bit as credible as people who burn Harry Potter books?
Old 07-17-2005, 04:08 PM   #84
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris

Yeah that's a great comparison.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:17 PM   #85
ONE
love, blood, life

I hope those who defend burning books also defend burning flags.

Melon
Old 07-17-2005, 04:31 PM   #86
Refugee

Quote:
especially the whole flying-the-airplane-with-the-bomb-into-the-pentagon part
I think Tom Clancy invented that first.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:34 PM   #87
Refugee

No, I'm just saying it isn't that big of a freakin deal that some people burn stuff in protest. Very few people I might add. It's just not that big of a deal.

Yes, if they were at a Harry Potter convention and were burning the books and had megaphones, and stuff making all the kids cry - maybe that's a bigger deal, but still doesn't merit you guys calling them nazi's. lol

Same with burning flags at a war veteran convention - maybe a bigger deal, but not that big of a deal.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:37 PM   #88
Refugee

christofacists....
Old 07-17-2005, 07:47 PM   #89
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
The people burning this book are doing so because they believe the books promote sorcery and witchcraft.
Then quite simply these peoples' belief is wrong in this case. Harry Potter no more promotes sorcery and witchcraft than Star Wars "promotes" using the force or The Lord of the Rings "promotes" fighting the undead.

It is a work of fantasy and fiction whose central theme is the fight between good and evil. You would think Christians wouldn't be so upset at that.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:04 PM   #90
War Child

Local Time: 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I hope those who defend burning books also defend burning flags.

Melon
I'll defend both. Consistency is a great thing. Burn a flag, flush a Koran, burn Harry Potter.......