Silly Christofacsists on CNN burning Harry Potter books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:
Yes. Doesn't that explain "Christofascists," "Christianists," and the "Christian Taliban"?

I really love that last term myself. :sexywink:
Ironic how some here spend more time shredding on the "Christian Taliban" than the actual Taliban itself...

melon said:

Yes. Doesn't that explain "Christofascists," "Christianists," and the "Christian Taliban"?

I really love that last term myself. :sexywink:

Melon

melon,if that's your idea of distinction, it's honestly kind of weak. Imagine that a person new to teh forum doesn't know how you feel. Imagine that he reads "the Christian Taliban" from you. Is teher anything in that would tell him that you are only calling some Christians The Taliban, and not applying it to all Christians? No, there's really not.

But even that level of distinction is not always made, and I'm sure you're aware of that. You've said things against Christians witout specifying that you're talking about a "certain brand". So have others.

So what Irvine said about everyone always taking great steps to distinguish between "Christian types" is simply not true.

financeguy said:
Hey. You haven't been around here in a while. :wave:
Not for a while, no. I moved out and have no internet at home. I'll try to keep bugging you guys whenever I can though.:wink:

Macfistowannabe said:
Not for a while, no. I moved out and have no internet at home.

That explains it. I thought you might have been doing exams or something. :wink:

Sherry Darling said:
Wow. :eyebrow:

Such a chance here for an important debate, and yet so much tit-for-tat (no, YOU answer MY question, MY point is this, I won't respond to other points :sigh: )

Here a few thoughts from a liberal Christian lit. geek. :wink:

Antriam's point that a Christian's time is better spent serving his "least brothers" is well taken and should be emphasized.

I'd also like to emphasize, not as a Christian but as a Tolkein fan and lit. teacher, that LOTR is NOT an allegory. Tolkein went to great lenghts to make this point in numerous interviews and reflectinos on his work. As has been pointed out here, he made this criticism of Lewis's Narnia. Allegories, Chrisitan or otherwise, tend to be a bit reductive and ham-handed. LOTR is far more than an allegory--though is does have some Chrisitian, Arthurian and Celtic background of course. This is nit-picky, I realize, but that's what fans do I guess. :p

Finally, do these folks have the legal right to burn books? Well, yes, I suppose so, just as flag-burners do. Basic rationality, though, suggests that putting $ into JKR's pocket is self-defeating. Just as it suggests that not being able to see the basic logical contradictions that BVS has aptly noted is childish. So too is judging a book that one hasn't read (just common sense here...the book is sinful, no...why would they read it?)

And regarding Nazi comparisons, it is totally legit to recognize the historical FACT that 1. these folks are burning books and 2. Nazis did as well. If they wish to avoid Nazi comparisons, they should choose another method. It's also legit and even wise to note that such legal yet fanatical actions are how things like the Holocaust begin. Now, do I think it's likely at all that such book burnings here will lead to a holocaust against non-Christians (or "bad" Christians). Not at all--happily, these book-burners are in the fringe minority, and to argue that one WILL lead to the another is the slippery slope fallacy. But noting potential early warning signs of a potential violent conflict is valid IMHO.

Anyway, my thoughts. :wave:

That was a particularly well stated post. :yes:

80sU2isBest said:

Yeah, Irvine goes to great length to distinguish between Christians. Those Christians who believe that every word in the Bible is true are "dangerous".

you know, you've never said anything that ever actually angered me.

until now.

you only see what you want to see, you only read the words that serve whatever persecution complex you have. if you go back and read the earlier thread, you'll find something quite different.

for now, get off the Cross, 80s. we need the wood.

woe is you.

80sU2isBest said:
melon,if that's your idea of distinction, it's honestly kind of weak. Imagine that a person new to teh forum doesn't know how you feel. Imagine that he reads "the Christian Taliban" from you. Is teher anything in that would tell him that you are only calling some Christians The Taliban, and not applying it to all Christians? No, there's really not.

Would you rather I call them "fundamentalists"?

I think we can agree that the Christian Taliban does not represent all Christians.

Melon

nbcrusader said:
Funny how the people who defend flag burnings ridicule this act of free speech (as silly as it may be).

i don't think anyone's saying they shouldn't be *allowed* to burn the books.

we (or at least i) are just saying that they're simple minded fools.

80sU2isBest said:

Things like the Holocaust begin when people start thinking that no one besides their race, or their "type" of people, is worth having around. The Holocaust didn't come about because the Nazis burned a few books. The holocaust came around because Hitler and his kind envisioned a master race and hated anyone who didn't fit into that mold.

The problem is that a lot of the people who burn these book do believe they are better than others and do want to prevent others from living their lives (I bet you that the book burners are also anti gay marriage -- and that is trying to rule someone else's life).

Whereas they should all come to their senses and realise that I, and only I, am correct, damn it! :wink:

Macfistowannabe said:
Ironic how some here spend more time shredding on the "Christian Taliban" than the actual Taliban itself...

That's because the actual Taliban has been superceded by the endless specter that is "Iraq."

After all, who even hears a peep about Afghanistan anymore in the media?

Melon

80sU2isBest said:

But even that level of distinction is not always made, and I'm sure you're aware of that. You've said things against Christians witout specifying that you're talking about a "certain brand". So have others.

So what Irvine said about everyone always taking great steps to distinguish between "Christian types" is simply not true.

only someone looking to be offended would think that "Christian Taliban" applies to all Christians.

there you go again, 80s, that whole "I think that you think."

i wonder how you'd react to actual stereotyping and oppression...

melon said:

I think we can agree that the Christian Taliban does not represent all Christians.

Melon

I think "twits" is an appropriate term. :yes:

indra said:
I think "twits" is an appropriate term. :yes:

I can only imagine the reaction if we used the term "Christian Nazis." :shh:

After all, Sen. Rick "man on dog" Santorum thought it was alright to refer to liberals as "Nazis."

Melon

melon said:

Melon
What kind of Christians does it represent?

Macfistowannabe said:
What kind of Christians does it represent?

A brand of far-right, irrational and illogical Christians that prefer to live on their own dystopic plane of reality from everyone else.

Melon

melon said:

A brand of far-right, irrational and illogical Christians that prefer to live on their own dystopic plane of reality from everyone else.

Melon
This could mean anything from Ann Coulter to Pat Robertson. My reason for asking was to get a specific definition, and I don't mean to nag for following through. But is it the religion aspect or the political aspect that leads to all these Nazi and Taliban comparisans?

Macfistowannabe said:
This could mean anything from Ann Coulter to Pat Robertson. My reason for asking was to get a specific definition, and I don't mean to nag for following through. But is it the religion aspect or the political aspect that leads to all these Nazi and Taliban comparisans?

Good. That's because Ann Coulter and Pat Robertson are both part of the Christian Taliban, as far as I'm concerned.

It's about a group of fanatics that have distorted and slandered an entire religion based on their lunatic actions. After all, "Christian" has now become synonymous with intolerance, small-mindedness, and ignorance. Shouldn't more Christians be offended?

Melon

melon said:
Shouldn't more Christians be offended?

Melon
I don't know about "offended", I wouldn't say it's downright offensive since I tend to expect those kinds of comments from time to time, but curious and puzzled enough to seek definition would be just fine.

I still think it's overstatement of the year to compare these types to Nazis and the Taliban.

Last edited:
melon said:

Good. That's because Ann Coulter and Pat Robertson are both part of the Christian Taliban, as far as I'm concerned.

It's about a group of fanatics that have distorted and slandered an entire religion based on their lunatic actions. After all, "Christian" has now become synonymous with intolerance, small-mindedness, and ignorance. Shouldn't more Christians be offended?

Melon

stop Melon!!! you're accusing ALL Christians of bieng Nazis!!! every last one!!! ALL CHRISTIANS!!! how dare you spread your lies and stereotypes in here!!!

Macfistowannabe said:
I still think it's overstatement of the year to compare these types to Nazis and the Taliban.

It would be to call them "Nazis," yes, but they are the Christian equivalent to the Taliban. They want their archconservative illogic to spread all over America, whether we like it or not. The difference is that the Christian Taliban is in the process of trying to take over America, while the other Taliban is already deposed.

Melon

Irvine511 said:

you know, you've never said anything that ever actually angered me.

until now.

you only see what you want to see, you only read the words that serve whatever persecution complex you have. if you go back and read the earlier thread, you'll find something quite different.

for now, get off the Cross, 80s. we need the wood.

woe is you.

As I said before, I don't care whether you're talking about me or not. So you can throw that "persecution complex" garbage out the window. What I take issue with is that you deem those who who don't believe certain of the same things you do as "dangerous", because science says it, and if science says it, it must be true. To me, that is intellectual snobbery.

Irvine, you said that believing that every word in the Bible to be true is dangerous. You said it several times, in fact. Then you say that it's only dangerous when people believe every word even when those words contradict science. Well, there are indeed ideas in the Bible that contradict popular scientific thought. So, if I or anyone else believes that every word in the Bible is true, we are by default believing in things that contradict popular scientific thought. So, we are, by default, dangerous, according to your definition.

melon said:

It would be to call them "Nazis," yes, but they are the Christian equivalent to the Taliban. They want their archconservative illogic to spread all over America, whether we like it or not. The difference is that the Christian Taliban is in the process of trying to take over America, while the other Taliban is already deposed.

Melon
While the archconservative movement is alive and well as the neo-liberal movement here at home, that's not a valid comparisan. The Taliban were willing to declare jihad in what seemed to be a time of peace. They're terrorist scum, and they rightfully belong in graveyards for their plots against any civil society that doesn't conform to islamofascism. Anyone who does not convert to their perverted brand of Islam, they want dead. There is hardly a Christian equivalent to the Taliban, which would include a very select few, such as Fred Phelps.

Taking over America? I think we're jumping into concrete with that one, too. Having an influence in the country does not equal a takeover. Same goes for environmentalists or any other group seeking political power. Yet, the comparisan does not hold water - neither group is out to shed blood on their own people, with the exception of those who commit atrocious crimes, and deserve nothing but the worst possible punishments for them.

80sU2isBest said:

As I said before, I don't care whether you're talking about me or not. So you can throw that "persecution complex" garbage out the window. What I take issue with is that you deem those who who don't believe certain of the same things you do as "dangerous", because science says it, and if science says it, it must be true. To me, that is intellectual snobbery.

Irvine, you said that believing that every word in the Bible to be true is dangerous. You said it several times, in fact. Then you say that it's only dangerous when people believe every word even when those words contradict science. Well, there are indeed ideas in the Bible that contradict popular scientific thought. So, if I or anyone else believes that every word in the Bible is true, we are by default believing in things that contradict popular scientific thought. So, we are, by default, dangerous, according to your definition.

okay. plain and simple: if one is going to insist that the world is only 4,000 years old because the Bible tells them so, and if the best science we know has reached a virtual consensus that the earth is 4.5 billion years old, then i am guilty of intellectual snobbery when i think that people who believe THEIR OWN INTERPRETATION of the Bible is correct are willfull fucking idiots.

they're being purposefully ignorant, and i'm going to calla spade a spade. and, yes, that is dangerous. closed minds are dangerous.

what i think is just HILARIOUS, 80s, is that you are making the assumptions that ALL christians (or perhaps it is all true Christians? are you looking to play that game?) believe every word the Bible says? or that belief in every word the Bible says is necessarily predicated upon scientific ignorance?

if so, then God help you all.

i wrote this in another thread, but i'm going to post it again here because i think it elucidates what Melon, and I, and others are talking about:

this has nothing to do with intelligence, it has everything to do with willful self-deception.

let me tell you something:

i am currently helping to produce a series of educational DVDs about math. the company i work for believes that a big potential market for this particular education product will be home-schoolers. the business assumption -- which comes from research -- is that the majority of home schoolers in the US are of a fundamentalist Christian stripe and will not purchase anything that goes against a specific worldview. and we know what the specifics are, because marketing and research has laid it all out for us. we cannot have any of the following things in our programs:

-- no tattoos
-- no mention of "evolution"
-- no mention of "contraversial" science, i.e., the age of the earth, when the dinosaurs lived, etc.
-- some claims must always be prefaced by, "Some scientists believe that ..."
-- no card games
-- no billards
-- no horse racing

and that's just for starters. i didn't make any of this up, and these rules weren't drawn simply from stereotypes -- they were created via research and marketing and product testing.

this is the Know-Nothingism of which i speak, and it terrifies me that, through my work, i am acquiescing and therefore economically legitimizing a segment of American society that ultimately seeks my social death as a gay person.

and, gosh, if these people knew just how many homos, jews, unwed mothers, divorced people, and childless married people who worked on these products ...

Last edited:
"Where they have burned books, they will end in burning human beings."Heinrich Heine, from his play Almansor (1821)

Book burning is just absolutely infuriating to me.
I don't take the written word lightly, it can educate, entertain, enlighten, anger, it pretty much conjures up every emotion (as we see in this thread lol )

People that take books for granted make me ill.
And I realize that in this case we are just talking about Harry Potter but I don't care. That book would make a lot of children in miserable situations forget their troubles for a time and that to me is a good thing.

And if you want to be taken seriously, then you'd think burning a book would be the last thing you'd do. As righteous as one thinks their being, to most people, when someone says "book burning" they DO think of Nazis. It's not something you can easily get away from.

"The common people were eager to learn. To destroy their literature was to burn a bridge from common knowledge to deeper thought and introspection."

I just saw this site, really cool -
http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bookburning/bookburning.htm

Back
Top Bottom