Silly Christofacsists on CNN burning Harry Potter books - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2005, 12:47 AM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:53 PM
This whole thread is ridiculous but at least it allowed avsgirl to expound a little on what makes Lord of the Rings such a vast piece of work, and that's always good to see.

As for the rest of the thread, um yeah.

Old 07-17-2005, 07:26 AM   #62
War Child

Local Time: 06:53 AM
Re: Silly Christofacsists on CNN burning Harry Potter books

I bought 2 copies, one for each of my older 2 kids, they've been up half the night reading them. People wanna burn them ? Let 'em. They have the right/freedom to do so, stupid as it may seem to you or I that people would buy records/CD's/books for the express purpose of burning them, so be it.

Old 07-17-2005, 07:29 AM   #63
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Because they are mentally deranged and mentally deranged people don't do well with logic.
I have a child who suffers from a TRUE mental disorder, these people are not mentally deranged, please, DO go educate yourself on such matters before inserting foot in mouth.

They are expressing an opinion/belief. Substitute "American Flag" for Harry Potter book" and you'd be defending their right to freedom of expression. There's a word for that.....
Old 07-17-2005, 08:11 AM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AvsGirl41

But the Nazis burned the books written by Jews, communists and other "degenerate" authors. They did it in 1933, long before exterminations began. To those of us who study history and politics, you can't help but raise an eyebrow--its our job--and wonder what would happen if they had the support of the majority. I am NOT saying they would start killing people, I'm only wondering what else in literature, music, whatever, they would find evil. It wasn't that long ago some other yahoo wanted to ban works with homoerotic themes or imagery. Of course the comparison must be made, because when does "opinion" stop?
exactly. it's not only the act of book-burning, but everything that it represents. and they know damn well what it means. the term "book-burning" has very strong connotations, and they're not good. and these people know that. they may not be deranged, but they're pretty deluded. I would never, never burn a book, no matter what it said. that's the worst kind of ignorance.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:21 AM   #65
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal

exactly. it's not only the act of book-burning, but everything that it represents. and they know damn well what it means. the term "book-burning" has very strong connotations, and they're not good. and these people know that. they may not be deranged, but they're pretty deluded. I would never, never burn a book, no matter what it said. that's the worst kind of ignorance.
I'm not defending it, I bought 2 copies of it myself as my 2 older kids were so anxious and neither of them wanted to wait for the other to finish it, but if we have the freedom to publish whatever we want pretty much, then we shouldn't be limiting the freedoms of those who want to express opinioins on what i spublished either. If that expression is by burning them in a manner which is not a public safety threat, stupid as it may seem to you or I, they should be allowed to do so.

Giving these people more publicity only adds to sales, so perhaps we can all take satisfaction in their counter-productive methods ?
Old 07-17-2005, 08:25 AM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

oh, I know. I'm not saying it should be made illegal. but my opinion of book-burners is very low, and I think it goes way beyond expressing your opinion in a constructive manner.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:28 AM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life

I think it's amusing. We hate book burning, but liberals will defend the rights of people to do it anyway. We hate flag burning, but conservatives want to create a constitutional amendment to ban it, because if they hate something, then everyone must hate it too.

I find the subtle behavioral differences between liberals and conservatives to be quite interesting.

Melon
Old 07-17-2005, 11:33 AM   #68
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

The Bible says to stay away from sorcery and witchcraft. These people are taking a stand for their beliefs. You call them mentally deranged for that?

Where's the tolerance, BVS?
Did the Bible say stay away from fantasy? Should we ban Star Wars they have the force? Should we stand up against The Wizard of Oz, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc? THEY'RE STORIES!!!

Where's the logic 80's?
Old 07-17-2005, 11:35 AM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
This whole thread is ridiculous but at least it allowed avsgirl to expound a little on what makes Lord of the Rings such a vast piece of work, and that's always good to see.

As for the rest of the thread, um yeah.
So why bother responding?
Old 07-17-2005, 11:37 AM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

If C.S. Lewis wrote the Harry Potter books, word for word, I'd guarantee that Christians would suddenly love them.

The fact is that C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien are perceived to be in "their club," whereas J.K. Rowling is not, even though she has said repeatedly that she is Christian herself.

It's quite illogical, but whatever. I'm used to this kind of behavior from the Christian Taliban.

Melon
Old 07-17-2005, 11:38 AM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Silly Christofacsists on CNN burning Harry Potter books

Quote:
Tolkein was a Christian, and his books were largely allegorically Christian in nature.
Precisely. You've hit the nail on the head.

Writers seen as Christian are allowed freedom of expression. Writers not seen as Christian are seemingly not.

That is what the issue is about at its core, it is about attempts by the Christian Taliban, as Melon rightly called them, to suppress freedom of expression and intimidate people.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:41 AM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
So, by burning books, these people are trying to force Christ on people?
Very definitely, yes. They are trying to intimidate people into not reading books they don't approve of.

And for those who say comparisons to Nazism are over the top - well, the Nazis started off as a fringe movement too!

Now I'm off to burn a few Bibles and Korans on live TV, I assume 80sU2isBest will be joining me, given his much vaunted commitment to freedom of expression.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:53 AM   #73
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

I have a child who suffers from a TRUE mental disorder, these people are not mentally deranged, please, DO go educate yourself on such matters before inserting foot in mouth.

They are expressing an opinion/belief. Substitute "American Flag" for Harry Potter book" and you'd be defending their right to freedom of expression. There's a word for that.....
That's rich coming from you, someone who generalized a whole country as violent people.

I completely defend their right to do burn the books. Where and when did I say I don't think they have the right to do this?

deranged - To upset the normal condition or functioning of.

People who grew up watching Wizard of Oz, reading Sleeping Beauty, taking their kids to see Star Wars and not see the same themes and devices in these and don't realize they are fantasies are not functioning on a normal condition. These parents somehow feel they're child will be sucked into evil from reading a child's book of fantasy? Maybe they fear their own parenting if that's all it takes.

But hey that have every right, but yes I stand by the fact that they are not functioning on a normal adult logic.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:46 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Very definitely, yes. They are trying to intimidate people into not reading books they don't approve of.
No, they are not. They are expressing their feelings toward the books themselves.

Quote:

And for those who say comparisons to Nazism are over the top - well, the Nazis started off as a fringe movement too!
Hitler's plan from the very start was to install a master race, and the Jews had to go. He didn't start out immediately by throwing them in concentration camps and executing them, but that's because he wanted to get people used to the idea of treating the Jews as second class people. Make no mistake; his plan form teh beginning was the advancement of the Aryan race to the detriment and genocide of the Jews.

Do you see any of that in this book-burning?

Quote:
Now I'm off to burn a few Bibles and Korans on live TV, I assume 80sU2isBest will be joining me, given his much vaunted commitment to freedom of expression.
Good point, FG...

NOT.

I nerver said I would join with anyone in any protest. I said people have a right to protest.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:04 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

I think these people have the right to protest. If they think Harry Potter is demonic or whatever, I think they're nuts, but I also think they have the right to said nutty opinions. After all, I also think the Ku Klux Klan has freedom of speech rights, as much as I detest their ideas.