Silly Christofacsists on CNN burning Harry Potter books - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2005, 07:09 PM   #331
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
How can anyone be so weak in their own faith that they fear reading a child's book?
I'm not sure parents are unsure of their faith to read the book. It is more a matter of what you are willing to expose to your child and the example one sets for their children.

Thankfully, we will only have one more of these dreadful threads when the last book comes out.

Old 07-20-2005, 07:28 PM   #332
Refugee

Local Time: 01:53 AM
Quote:
It's not a question of being "weak in their faith". In fact, it might be just a quesion of obeying the Bible. The Bible says to stay away from sorcery and witchcraft. Just the fact that the protagonists use sorcery may be reason enough for parents to not let their kids read it. I'll tell you the truth, the fact that the protagonists use sorcery would probably be enough for me not to read it. I, and others, happen to believe that sorcery and witchcraft are works of the devil.
80's,

These books are soooo not about sorcery and witchcraft, unless you think the likes of Gandalf is of the devil.

Seriously.... JK is a bit like Bono - the God thing is going to come out in the end.

Old 07-20-2005, 07:31 PM   #333
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Thankfully, we will only have one more of these dreadful threads when the last book comes out.
At this rate, we might keep this one going UNTIL the last book comes out.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:03 PM   #334
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

I don't have weak faith, and I don't wish to read the books.

Weak faith doesn't enter into the picture at all. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with faith. It has to do with how they apply their moral values.
It has nothing to do with values. Your values tell you not to enjoy fantasy...hell that would put Walt Disney out of work. These people fear it will corrupt them. That's weak faith. You said as a parent that you wouldn't read it to see if it was appropriate because it may promote witchcraft, well so what if it did. Then you put down the book and you tell your child not to read it, but if you don't even take that step, it's out of fear.

Quote:

No, of course not. From their view, they would say that this type of book is different, because the Bible expressly forbids having anything to do with sorcery or magic.
So is sorcery real?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:05 PM   #335
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Frankly, I'm used to people making hit and run insults against me, so that's why I took it the way I did. If you did not intend it as an insult, I apoligize for misunderstanding.
No biggie. I wasn't trying to insult you.

It was a general comment, and frankly it probably didn't read right.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:09 PM   #336
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I'm not sure parents are unsure of their faith to read the book. It is more a matter of what you are willing to expose to your child and the example one sets for their children.

But that's the point I'm trying to make. How do you protect you children from things you don't know? I think it would be a terrific example to your children saying you know what I read the book and I've decided you shouldn't read it. Not, look I haven't read it, no one I knows read it, but you can't because I know it will make you want to be a witch.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:11 PM   #337
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

It has nothing to do with values. Your values tell you not to enjoy fantasy...hell that would put Walt Disney out of work. These people fear it will corrupt them. That's weak faith. You said as a parent that you wouldn't read it to see if it was appropriate because it may promote witchcraft, well so what if it did. Then you put down the book and you tell your child not to read it, but if you don't even take that step, it's out of fear.

So is sorcery real?
My values don't necessarily tell me not to "enjoy fantasy". I am a very creative person, and have even written a fictional novel. Sorcery and witchcraft do not the whole of fiction make.

BVS, I'll say this one more time. The Bible says to stay away from sorcery and witchcraft. I don't wish to disobey him. It's not fear.

And yes, I do believe sorcery is real.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:28 PM   #338
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

My values don't necessarily tell me not to "enjoy fantasy". I am a very creative person, and have even written a fictional novel. Sorcery and witchcraft do not the whole of fiction make.

BVS, I'll say this one more time. The Bible says to stay away from sorcery and witchcraft. I don't wish to disobey him. It's not fear.

And yes, I do believe sorcery is real.
So if it's real(which I don't believe), will reading a child's book about it be too powerful for you? We watch movies, read books and see news stories about many "sins", are we not suppose to expose ourselves to these things? Will the Wizard of Oz corrupt my soul? Sleeping beauty? Fantasia?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:31 PM   #339
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Ok, now I know you believe every word of the Bible to come directly from God, and I'm not interested in arguing that.

But I'm curious as to where these scriptures are located? Are they OT man written laws or did Jesus ever say anything about it? Because I don't remember it being in the 10 commandments.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:35 PM   #340
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Ok, now I know you believe every word of the Bible to come directly from God, and I'm not interested in arguing that.

But I'm curious as to where these scriptures are located? Are they OT man written laws or did Jesus ever say anything about it? Because I don't remember it being in the 10 commandments.
Many are Old Testament Laws from God, but Paul even warned against sorcery and witchcraft in the book of Galatians.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:37 PM   #341
Refugee

http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksea...&qs_version=31

http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksea...raft&x=13&y=13

But for all of those who watch soap operas, or even 'Friends' for that matter, they endorse adultery.

So sad.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:38 PM   #342
Refugee

Seriously 80s - have you addressed the Star Wars, Gandalf thing?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:39 PM   #343
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

So if it's real(which I don't believe), will reading a child's book about it be too powerful for you? We watch movies, read books and see news stories about many "sins", are we not suppose to expose ourselves to these things? Will the Wizard of Oz corrupt my soul? Sleeping beauty? Fantasia?
I never said it would corrupt my soul. My soul is bought with the blood of Jesus, and "there is therfore no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus".

I want to obey God, so I dont want to expose myself to sorcery and witchcraft. I watched a couple of seasons of the TV shows Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel. After a while, I felt really convicted to stop, so I did.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:40 PM   #344
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
I, and others, happen to believe that sorcery and witchcraft are works of the devil.
Yeah first burn the books, then burn the witches.

Couldn´t help but make this point - this mindset just reminds me too much of the medieval age.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:43 PM   #345
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksea...&qs_version=31

http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksea...raft&x=13&y=13

But for all of those who watch soap operas, or even 'Friends' for that matter, they endorse adultery.

So sad.
There are several TV shows and movies that endorse things that are against, and frankly I believe we shouldn't watch them.

But I also believe that sorcery and witchcraft are even more dangerous because i believe they can open the person up to the world of the occult.