Silly Christofacsists on CNN burning Harry Potter books - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2005, 07:05 AM   #301
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:24 PM
For the record, the word "pagan" originally meant someone who lived out in the country. When the Romans became Christians Christianity was sort of a "city thing"; it didn't reach as many people in the country, thus they were more inclined to stick to the old ways. Another useless piece of information courtesy of the local history nut.

Old 07-20-2005, 07:09 AM   #302
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
What a pity that nbcrusader hasn´t replied to my initial argument as to the differences between political and religious freedom of protest.. obviously he thinks I got the right point of view, but can´t admit it..
Take silence as vicotry? Who will give you the award?

No, you are wrong.

This was not an attempt to eliminate all vestiges of the Harry Potter book. It was a protest, and form of speech.

To these people, they are protesting something more important than would be represented by burning a flag.

I hope you didn't over do it at your celebration party.

Old 07-20-2005, 07:10 AM   #303
Blue Crack Addict

I love that God and Nietzsche quote, thanks sallycinnamon.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:40 AM   #304
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:24 PM
A few of my favorites, to inject a bit more humor into the tread

"Lord, grant me constancy and chastity--but not yet" ~St. Augustine

And from CS Lewis
"If you look upon bacon and eggs with hunger in the morning, you have already comitted breakfast in your heart"
Old 07-20-2005, 11:24 AM   #305
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I hope you didn't over do it at your celebration party.
nice one

But you still haven´t replied to the point in question: the difference between protesting against sth political (burning a flag as a symbol of a nation) in compare to sth religious (burning a book being a piece of art/ litterature). You don´t see any difference?
Old 07-20-2005, 12:11 PM   #306
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
from CS Lewis
"If you look upon bacon and eggs with hunger in the morning, you have already comitted breakfast in your heart"
I love that.

... Just came in here to see what this thread was all about.

... religious arguing... ewwww.

well, in the spirit of this thread, here's my two cents with a couple of quotes of my own:

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." -Verbal Kent... uh, I mean, Keyser Soze.

"Preach the Gospel at all times... When necessary, use words." - St. Francis of Assisi
Old 07-20-2005, 12:23 PM   #307
The Fly

Re: Silly Christofacsists on CNN burning Harry Potter books

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Cripes, they're at it again.

Can someone explain to me why they don't arrange burnings of the Tolkien Lord of the Rings series? I mean weren't their wizards in Lord of the Rings too?
If memory serves me correctly (and hopefully I'm not repeating anything - I've yet to read all posts) Tolkien was a Christian... Perhaps a Christian's wizards are more acceptable?!?! Perhaps it's better that in LOTR, the wizard isn't the main character? I can't figure it out - these people are, IMO, crazy...

Harry Potter and LOTR are great... (And I'm a Christian...)

Also, I may think why they're protesting is stupid (I'm a HUGE Potter fan), but I do recognize that it's their right to do so...
Old 07-20-2005, 12:56 PM   #308
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:24 AM
i am a christian, and i struggle with life's choices every day.

one of them...

to let my daughter read harry potter, or not.

my daughter did see the LOTR movies at her father's house. even tho i am a huge fan of the movies, it was not something i was too happy with when i learned daisy saw those movies. but because she loved the movies so much, i coudlnt really do anything about it except to maybe educate her with the morals of the stories.

i've not seen any of the harry potter movies. so i cant make a decision on that one.

so if i do let my daughter read harry potter...then i guess im exposign her to sorcery and witchcraft. and then some would argue that its a fight between good and evil.

if i dont..then im labeled a deranged lunatic.

confusing.

its getting harder and harder each day to stand up for our christian beliefs.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:59 PM   #309
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil
Very silly and sad...more sad than silly. I live in a province with a very high illiteracy rate. From what I've seen, Harry Potter seems pretty harmless...plus it gets kids reading, which is vital for their future. Who knows, they may even be inclined to pick up the bible to read one day.

Book-burning, it seems, would have the opposite effect, and instill a sense of fear....which we already have too much of....
Exactly.

Thaey are harmless -- they'd have no problem with them if they took out the FEW minor words there are (hell, damn), and eliminated the magical element. Then it would merely be a story of good v. evil.

With the magic, that's still all that they are. (I do not think that it advocates the occult...)

I don't get how they can't see that Harry is good - magic or not - and is fighting a darker side. (If Harry's bad, what's Voldemort?!?!) This leads me to believe that the majority of the people with protests regarding this book (or any "banned" book for that matter) have no even picked it up other than to throw it onto their censorship bonfire.

Yes, the Potter books are good (perhaps not great literature, but whatever), but from my experience (and my friend, who is a bookseller for a mega-book chain), these books pique interest in reading - which leads to an interest in other books...

Yes, that interest is sometimes limited to other books in the fantasy genre (His Dark Materials, The Seeing Stone (Arthur trilogy), Artemis Fowl, etc), but I think that eventually, they'll venture out from there...

In any case, it's still far better than children being glued to TV sets or their video game consoles...
Old 07-20-2005, 01:36 PM   #310
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by icelle
so if i do let my daughter read harry potter...then i guess im exposign her to sorcery and witchcraft. and then some would argue that its a fight between good and evil.

I'd prefer to look at it like this: If you let your daughter read Harry Potter, you expose her to a world of imagination - to a world that isn't real but that teaches good lessons about friendship and good vs. evil. The sorcery and witchcraft is incidental.

It'd be a shame to not allow your daughter to read a well crafted book (of fiction) that could teach good lessons and also spark her imagination simply because it's got magic in it.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:37 PM   #311
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Re: Re: Silly Christofacsists on CNN burning Harry Potter books

Quote:
Originally posted by schnazdoodle

If memory serves me correctly (and hopefully I'm not repeating anything - I've yet to read all posts) Tolkien was a Christian... Perhaps a Christian's wizards are more acceptable?!?!
JK Rowling is a Christian as well, so that doesn't quite fit.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:41 PM   #312
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

I'd prefer to look at it like this: If you let your daughter read Harry Potter, you expose her to a world of imagination - to a world that isn't real but that teaches good lessons about friendship and good vs. evil. The sorcery and witchcraft is incidental.

It'd be a shame to not allow your daughter to read a well crafted book (of fiction) that could teach good lessons and also spark her imagination simply because it's got magic in it.

thank you diemen, i'll take that into consideration...
Old 07-20-2005, 01:48 PM   #313
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by icelle
i am a christian, and i struggle with life's choices every day.

one of them...

to let my daughter read harry potter, or not.

my daughter did see the LOTR movies at her father's house. even tho i am a huge fan of the movies, it was not something i was too happy with when i learned daisy saw those movies. but because she loved the movies so much, i coudlnt really do anything about it except to maybe educate her with the morals of the stories.

i've not seen any of the harry potter movies. so i cant make a decision on that one.

confusing.

its getting harder and harder each day to stand up for our christian beliefs.
The advice I would be give is to go with your gut. You seem like a good mother to me; you don't want your child to read anything that might harm them. I perssonally don't know much about the Harry Potter books, so I can't say whether they promote sorcery and withcraft. But if my kids wanted to read it, and there was any doubt in my mind at all, I'd play it safe. There are many other books they can read.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #314
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

How about this: Read the book yourself and then determine if it would be suitable for your child, rather than making a determination based on your gut when you don't actually know the contents of the book. Seems to make a little more sense to me.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:19 PM   #315
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I personally don't think any harm would come of a kid reading Harry Potter books, I don't really understand what the big concern is. My friend Rachel reads them constantly, and I've read a book. And last time I checked, both our beliefs in God are still fully intact, neither of us has gone to whatever horrid "dark sides" these religious groups fear people who read the books will go to or something like that. And the outcry is even more amusing when you consider that you cannot actually do any of the magic involved in these books. Also, verte's talk of the whole thing with "pagan" reminds me...from what I've heard about Christian history, I understand that some parts of the Christian faith were adopted from the pagan festivals and stuff like that. So if that's true, then it's a bit odd now that some Christians turn around and bash pagan-related things.

But regarding parents and these books, here's my take on it: If a parent personally chooses to not let their own kids read certain books or things along that line, I say, it's their kid, they can raise 'em however they want.

I just have issues when that same parent tries to start telling other kids who are not their own what they should/shouldn't be reading (or watching or listening to). I've got parents of my own, I'll let them decide that for me, thanks. Or, I can decide that sort of thing for myself, too. I'm certainly old enough to do that.

That's all.

Angela