Silly Christofacsists on CNN burning Harry Potter books - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2005, 07:45 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Actually, I think the Vatican said that it was a good illustration of the struggle between good verses evil.
Yes. For all the Vatican's hysterical, irrational tendencies, it, for once, erred on the side of reason on this subject.

Not before, of course, watching groups like the Catholic League make a fool out of itself and condemn it.

Melon

Old 07-16-2005, 08:20 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
from an interview with JK Rowling in the Vancouver Sun, 26 Oct. 2000:

''Now I am starting to get impatient because I feel that you can lead a fool to a book but you can't make them think. And you can quote me, actually, because I'm just getting impatient about it.''

I like that "lead a fool to a book, but you can't make them think" line.

Pretty much sums it up.

Old 07-16-2005, 08:36 PM   #18
Refugee

They've got to be on the publisher's payroll.

Nothing generates a "I've got to read this book" like a good old fashioned book burning on CNN.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:38 PM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Yes. For all the Vatican's hysterical, irrational tendencies, it, for once, erred on the side of reason on this subject.

Not before, of course, watching groups like the Catholic League make a fool out of itself and condemn it.

Melon
Actually, from what I heard anyway, the Vatican has switched back to the "Harry Potter is the tool of the devil" mode. Makes sense since the tolerant and rational Joey Ratz has assumed the role of pope.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:43 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Halifax
Actually, from what I heard anyway, the Vatican has switched back to the "Harry Potter is the tool of the devil" mode. Makes sense since the tolerant and rational Joey Ratz has assumed the role of pope.
I know that during Benedict XVI's past life as JPII's rottweiler, he hated the series. But he shut up after JPII said good things about it. I'd be surprised if he'd make such a reverse position now.

It doesn't matter anyway. People stopped listening years ago.

Melon
Old 07-16-2005, 10:24 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Silly Christofacsists on CNN burning Harry Potter books

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Cripes, they're at it again.

Can someone explain to me why they don't arrange burnings of the Tolkien Lord of the Rings series? I mean weren't their wizards in Lord of the Rings too?
Tolkein was a Christian, and his books were largely allegorically Christian in nature.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:27 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Because they are mentally deranged and mentally deranged people don't do well with logic.
The Bible says to stay away from sorcery and witchcraft. These people are taking a stand for their beliefs. You call them mentally deranged for that?

Where's the tolerance, BVS?
Old 07-16-2005, 10:31 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
The Christian Taliban
The Christian Taliban?

Burning books merits a comparison to people who don't let their women have jobs, make women cover from head to toe, and can legally beat women to bloody pulps simply for being alone in the streets?

Come on melon, that's completely ludicrous.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:36 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The more venomous of the replies in this thread floor me; they really do. Some of you scream nonstop about having tolerance for other viewpoints. These book burners obviously have a different view than yourselves, so here is your perfect opportunity to put that tolerance into action. But what do you do? You let a perfect opportunity pass you by; instead you level accusations of "taliban" and "mental derangement". Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:46 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Because they are mentally deranged and mentally deranged people don't do well with logic.

I'm not about to burn books just because I don't personally believe in them. So yes, I agree with above...I can tolerate differeing opinions, I'm not out burning thier books for one....
Old 07-16-2005, 10:51 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue

I'm not about to burn books just because I don't personally believe in them. So yes, I agree with above...I can tolerate differeing opinions, I'm not out burning thier books for one....
You agree with BVS that these people are mentally deranged because they burned Harry Potter books? do you really?
Old 07-16-2005, 10:54 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Look....there is alot of people that have opinions that I don't agree with. Do you really think burning those books is going to get anyone to agree with my opinions? Think about it.....if I go and stand on the street and set flame to a book that says something I don't agree on what is that going to accomplish?

Besides, do you really think that witchcraft is really what these books are about? No, not really.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:00 PM   #28
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:16 AM
Is burning books tolerance?

I don't think so.

Why should we tolerate those who cannot respect a piece of fiction? No, they don't have to like it--and I can disagree with them, but outright destruction of something (be it a book, a statue, a painting, etc.) smacks of something else.

I don't think we REALLY need to remind ourselves who else was burning books in the 20th century, now do we??
Old 07-16-2005, 11:01 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Look....there is alot of people that have opinions that I don't agree with. Do you really think burning those books is going to get anyone to agree with my opinions? Think about it.....if I go and stand on the street and set flame to a book that says something I don't agree on what is that going to accomplish?
I don't know what it will accomplish, maybe nothing. But that;s not what I asked you. Answer me - do you think that these people are mentally deranged?

Quote:
Besides, do you really think that witchcraft is really what these books are about? No, not really.
I don't know much about these books, not enough to make an informed decision, but that's not my point either. Do you consider these people to be "mentally deranged" and would you compare them to the "Taliban"?

I consider calling them "mentally deranged" or comparing them to be the Taliban to be every bit as irrational as burning some books.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:04 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Well, I guess that begs the question: Why are they so scared as to be burning these books?

I am sure there are alot of things that you don't agree with...are you going to stand in the street and cause a commotion as you publicly burn them? I am sure that you are comfortable enough in your own faith to not act out as that way. They had to have bought these books ( a true Christian wouldn't steal) which only served to help the sales count of this book that they burned....wouldn't a larger statement of disagreement just to be to ignore the whole thing and have nothing to do with it?