Silly Christofacsists on CNN burning Harry Potter books - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-19-2005, 08:35 PM   #271
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
VertigoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I'm never alone (I'm alone all the time)
Posts: 9,860
Local Time: 08:13 PM
How bout we have a thread where everyone who decides they want to come to Jesus gets to, and those among us who feel compelled to convert make a pact with those who chose not to come to Jesus, to leave them the hell alone in the future. like you said 80s, some people just don't want to listen, why push the matter?
__________________

__________________
VertigoGal is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 08:38 PM   #272
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 08:13 PM
I think, overall, some of us take this forum too seriously, and even I am guilty of this on some occasions.

It's too bad it can't be more about an exchange of ideas and less about bickering. I can't think of too many minds that are changed when the discourse becomes bitter. That's when people get defensive, back into a corner, and refuse to listen to anything but their own POV.

Melon
__________________

__________________
melon is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 08:40 PM   #273
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
How bout we have a thread where everyone who decides they want to come to Jesus gets to, and those among us who feel compelled to convert make a pact with those who chose not to come to Jesus, to leave them the hell alone in the future. like you said 80s, some people just don't want to listen, why push the matter?
I'm not pushing him. He said I was brainwashed, and I told him what I believed is the truth about who is deceiving him. I was warning him. And then I wanted him to know that I want him to come to Christ.

I spoke the truth as I see it. I did it because I don't want him to be deceived any longer.

You're right in that I can't force it upon anyone. I'm not trying to force it upon him, but I'm not going to shy away from telling what I believe is truth simply because some may view it as politically incorrect.

If I do indeed know the truth, I have the obligation to speak it.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 08:43 PM   #274
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
VertigoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I'm never alone (I'm alone all the time)
Posts: 9,860
Local Time: 08:13 PM
I know you were responding to a rude comment, but I'm not just talking about that time in particular. I know you think you know the truth, but repeating it over and over is not going to convert anyone and maybe it'd be easier on you to accept that some people have no desire to become Christians.
__________________
VertigoGal is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 08:47 PM   #275
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sallycinnamon78


Pure pedantry.
Give me a break, will you?

Irvine said something to me that almost everyone would have taken the way I took it, based on the way he worded it, and the common understandings that people place on things.

But then not only does he say I misunderstood, but he takes absolutely no blame for teh way he worded it, and even tells me to grow up.

Of course I am going to defend myself and explain why I interpreted the way I did. Wouldn't you?
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 08:48 PM   #276
New Yorker
 
sallycinnamon78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,977
Local Time: 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


Christ told his followers to share the Gospel.
Yes dear, I realise this happy fact - I went to the C of E school (which I was talking about before) for a long time. Thanks for the reminder though; much appreciated.

Quote:
Not necessarily, because many Christians would feel that they are called to win converts also.
I've always interpreted that as meaning one ought to point someone who is lost, and needs guidance or assistance, in the 'right' direction. I don't know if anyone agrees with that, but in my opinion, that is how it should be.

Quote:
Or just has a different perspective to you, which would have been a nicer way of putting it.
Quote:
I know you think you know the truth, but repeating it over and over is not going to convert anyone and maybe it'd be easier on you to accept that some people have no desire to become Christians.
Most of us have interpreted biblical teachings according to our individual perspective. This thread demonstrates that clearly. I don't want someone else's personal analysis of precisely what I should believe and how I must view the fundamental concepts of my Church. I can figure that one out for myself, in my own way, as can anybody else, in theirs.

I think that the only way to completely rule out such subjectivity, would be brainwashing. I feel very strongly that faith should be individual and personal.
__________________
sallycinnamon78 is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 08:50 PM   #277
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
I know you were responding to a rude comment, but I'm not just talking about that time in particular. I know you think you know the truth, but repeating it over and over is not going to convert anyone and maybe it'd be easier on you to accept that some people have no desire to become Christians.
It wasn't the rudeness of his comment that bothered me the most...it was the fact that he thought the Gospel was foolishness.

That does bother me, because I want everyone to come to Christ, not for my sake, but for theirs.

I do accept that some won't, but it doesn't overjoy me.

And that was the first time I ever told LH what I think is the truth, so I can't exactly be accused of trying to browbeat him with it.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 08:59 PM   #278
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Vertigo Gal,
I just want to say that I don't usually agree with you, but I like the succinct and polite way that you word your arguments.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 09:02 PM   #279
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
VertigoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I'm never alone (I'm alone all the time)
Posts: 9,860
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Vertigo Gal,
I just want to say that I don't usually agree with you, but I like the succinct and polite way that you word your arguments.
aw thanks

you've always been polite to me as well.
__________________
VertigoGal is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 09:04 PM   #280
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal


aw thanks

you've always been polite to me as well.
Thanks.

Usually when I go to bed after a night of arguing, I feel bad and am restless, but this makes me feel better.

Good night.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 09:06 PM   #281
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
VertigoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I'm never alone (I'm alone all the time)
Posts: 9,860
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


Thanks.

Usually when I go to bed after a night of arguing, I feel bad and am restless, but this makes me feel better.

Good night.
I love arguing. I sort of have a thing against lawyers (which is unfair, I know), but if I ever get past it I'd love to be one.

G'night

I should go to bed, but I missed the Daily Show so I have to watch the rerun at 1.
__________________
VertigoGal is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 09:07 PM   #282
New Yorker
 
sallycinnamon78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,977
Local Time: 02:13 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Irvine, you won't get away with this. If you did not intend it that way, you did not word it all properly.
Having just reread that post and the few preceding it, I see why you wrote that reply... so apologies for my 'pedanty' comment. I stick by the rest of what I said though!
__________________
sallycinnamon78 is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 09:09 PM   #283
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sallycinnamon78
Quote:


Having just reread that post and the few preceding it, I see why you wrote that reply... so apologies for my 'pedanty' comment. I stick by the rest of what I said though!
Thank you very much. I do appreciate that.

And goodnigh to you as well, sc.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 09:14 PM   #284
New Yorker
 
sallycinnamon78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,977
Local Time: 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


I'm not pushing him. He said I was brainwashed, and I told him what I believed is the truth about who is deceiving him. I was warning him. And then I wanted him to know that I want him to come to Christ.

I spoke the truth as I see it. I did it because I don't want him to be deceived any longer.

You're right in that I can't force it upon anyone. I'm not trying to force it upon him, but I'm not going to shy away from telling what I believe is truth simply because some may view it as politically incorrect.

If I do indeed know the truth, I have the obligation to speak it.
Although I don't agree with somet of what you've said, I admire your depth of conviction and your willingness to explain your point of view patiently. That takes a strong person, which you seem to be.

Sleep well!
__________________
sallycinnamon78 is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 09:21 PM   #285
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Thanks, SC, that was very kind!

You sleep well, also.
__________________

__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com