Silly Christofacsists on CNN burning Harry Potter books - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2005, 06:27 PM   #181
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Halifax
I like to drink my own piss.
That's nice. Does it taste like beer?

Old 07-18-2005, 06:29 PM   #182
The Fly

Local Time: 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

That's nice. Does it taste like beer?
Not really. I was a bit suprised how warm it tasted.

Old 07-18-2005, 06:31 PM   #183
The Fly

Local Time: 02:06 AM
Sorry people. Seeing how this discussion is so heated that no logical conclusion is in sight, I just wanted to "break the ice".

You can continue your political/theological/freedom of speech slugfest now...
Old 07-18-2005, 06:32 PM   #184
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:06 AM
Quote:
You've got a good point.

When someone apologizes, I forgive. When they don't, it takes me a little longer to do so.

However, that's no excuse. I'm supposed to forgive even if I don't get an apology.

So, I'm going to forgive and try not to think about it anymore or bring it up.

In the meantime, I owe Indra an apology for not forgiving her sooner, so I do. I apologize, and I mean it.

I was told by a conservative Roman Catholic on another forum than the Christian is not obligated to forgive his detractors, that it is only up to God to forgive. It is to your credit that you do not subscribe to that particular form of 'theology'.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:38 PM   #185
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Not really. I was a bit suprised how warm it tasted.
Beer is served warm in Germany, so maybe there is a connection...
Old 07-18-2005, 06:41 PM   #186
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

I was told by a conservative Roman Catholic on another forum than the Christian is not obligated to forgive his detractors, that it is only up to God to forgive. It is to your credit that you do not subscribe to that particular form of 'theology'.
Thanks. Christ tells us to forgive, so that's all I need to know.

Christ forgave those people who hung him a cross, and they didn't aplogize first. Honestly, teher's nothing that's ever been done ot me that I could really call "offensive" compared to what they did to Christ, or what my sins did to Christ.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:59 PM   #187
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Or at least give the opportunity to express hated with terms like "Christofacsists" or "Christian Taliban"
I see "Islamofacists" used all the time here and in the media to distinguish between peaceable Muslims and violent ones. Why should our faith be exempt, NBC or 80's?

That said, the point that you can't honestly compare a violent group with non-violent group (however unreasonable, backwards, biggoted, etc) is well taken. I think this discussion could benefit some from point sides acknowleding the fair-enough points that have been made.

Sparkygrrl, your post = I people who care about books.

80's, there is no such thing as reading without interpreting. If you CHOSE to read a particular passage literally, that itself IS an interpretation.

Indra, thank you.

Now, if ya'll muggles will excuse me, I just got my copy of HP and the Half Blood Prince.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:09 PM   #188
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
What's your point, melon? I know that Christ said that.
My point is that if someone ordinarily said "You are my friend if you do everything I say," that doesn't sound like a friend to me. That sounds like an abusive husband.

Melon
Old 07-18-2005, 07:39 PM   #189
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling

80's, there is no such thing as reading without interpreting. If you CHOSE to read a particular passage literally, that itself IS an interpretation.
Sherry, allow me to rephrase. There are many things in the Bible that have meanings that are explicitly spelled out and therefore have only one reasonable interpretation. For example, Christ told many parables. For most of these, he left the meaning for others to figure out, but on some he told the meaning. Or for a more basic example, the Bible tells us that Christ was born of a virgin. That's pretty self-explanatory. Now, you could interpret that any way you want, but it was explicitly spelled out in scripture, so any other interpretation other than the explicitly speleld out meaning would be wrong.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:43 PM   #190
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:06 PM
Poor Harry, everyone's ignoring him now.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:49 PM   #191
Blue Crack Addict

Wow. I'm amazed at what kind of discussion a fantasy book generates.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:15 PM   #192
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Just to clarify, I don't believe what that person said is indicative of typical Roman Catholic theology. Being a Roman Catholic myself, I'm kind of surprised one would take that stand on the issue. Personally, I think most Catholics (including myself) would side with 80's as far as that goes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
I see "Islamofacists" used all the time here and in the media to distinguish between peaceable Muslims and violent ones. Why should our faith be exempt, NBC or 80's?
Well, it seems like a number of people here have seen that term used on this forum before. I, however, am not one of those people. I must not be looking in the right threads.

If I would have known that, I could've at least seen that those terms originated with a purpose instead of merely out of hate. That being said, I still stand by my point that any term like that is inappropriate and shouldn't be used by reasonable people in a debate, no matter what the reason for using it may be.

Also, I'd like to point out something that I don't believe I've seen around here yet. Especially in this thread, I've seen a few people mention specific parts of the Bible where Jesus told people how to behave respectably and live a good life in God's eyes. I'm referencing the "love one another" and "love God" quotes especially. If no one minds, I'd like to add one more quote to these. This is a quote that I think is often forgotten by most people, including myself. It kind of ties in with "love one another," but I think it's worth specifying because I often see the arguments here heat up to a point where people start to insult each other without thinking first. Anyway, I think it's best to let the quote speak for itself.

"Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you." (Luke 6:27)
Old 07-18-2005, 09:12 PM   #193
New Yorker

Quote:
The Bible says to stay away from sorcery and witchcraft. These people are taking a stand for their beliefs. You call them mentally deranged for that?
[/B]
Perhaps they are poor misguided fools? Who knows. Who cares, apart from them?

Personally, I certainly would not knoeck people for defending what they believe to be right - that's what life is all about. What I do object to is people who cannot tell the difference etween fact and fiction.

Heeeere's Harry:

Just when you thought it was safe to start surfing again... more Potter hysteria! In a reversal of the old saying: it would be TRAGIC if it wasn't so funny!

"The pressure to participate in the fun and frenzy is intense. So what can a Christian child do in the midst of such hype, hypocrisy and popular wizardry? Those who know God can find answers in His Word. Consider this list of Biblical warnings and wisdom, then put on the Armor of God and pray that He lead you in His way."

Oh, absolutely. Dear Lord Almighty, please forgive me for READING A WORK OF FICTION and enjoying it. Please save the younger generations from using their imaginations and learning to be creative; after all, children educating themselves through reading voluntarily is such a hideous sin, and a terrible danger to society. I see where I have gone wrong in encouraging my little nieces to be literate. I am sure we will all go to hell for allowing our children to learn about mythical creatures, based on ancient fables, thereby developing their knowledge of Greek, Roman, Celtic, Egyptian, Native American, Japanese, Chinese, and Babylonian Mythology. Most of all, forgive these children for reading a series which clearly emphasises the value of loyalty, love, friendship, honesty, integrity, teamwork, academic prowess, and all those other traits that are valueless and should be eradicated from society.

I would go on, but I have no time for nincompoops with no grasp on reality.

The Harry Potter books are FICTION, correct?! I'm not going to bother getting into the ridiculous, prejudiced rubbish I've heard about these books promoting evil... it would be an neverending rant, and I believe it is futile to attempt to reason with the terminally stupid. If these extremists put their energy into something cnstructive to help make the world a better place, rather than getting delirious over a storybook, we might get somewhere.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:35 PM   #194
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
I am going to print this thread off and burn it.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:12 PM   #195
New Yorker

Quote:
I like to drink my own piss.
Thanks for sharing. Better your own than someone else's, I suppose!

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

let me tell you something:

i am currently helping to produce a series of educational DVDs about math. the company i work for believes that a big potential market for this particular education product will be home-schoolers. the business assumption -- which comes from research -- is that the majority of home schoolers in the US are of a fundamentalist Christian stripe and will not purchase anything that goes against a specific worldview. and we know what the specifics are, because marketing and research has laid it all out for us. we cannot have any of the following things in our programs:

-- no tattoos
-- no mention of "evolution"
-- no mention of "contraversial" science, i.e., the age of the earth, when the dinosaurs lived, etc.
-- some claims must always be prefaced by, "Some scientists believe that ..."
-- no card games
-- no billards
-- no horse racing
That really is scary!