Silly Christofacsists on CNN burning Harry Potter books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:
How can anyone be so weak in their own faith that they fear reading a child's book?

I'm not sure parents are unsure of their faith to read the book. It is more a matter of what you are willing to expose to your child and the example one sets for their children.

Thankfully, we will only have one more of these dreadful threads when the last book comes out.

It's not a question of being "weak in their faith". In fact, it might be just a quesion of obeying the Bible. The Bible says to stay away from sorcery and witchcraft. Just the fact that the protagonists use sorcery may be reason enough for parents to not let their kids read it. I'll tell you the truth, the fact that the protagonists use sorcery would probably be enough for me not to read it. I, and others, happen to believe that sorcery and witchcraft are works of the devil.

80's,

These books are soooo not about sorcery and witchcraft, unless you think the likes of Gandalf is of the devil.

Seriously.... JK is a bit like Bono - the God thing is going to come out in the end.

nbcrusader said:
Thankfully, we will only have one more of these dreadful threads when the last book comes out.

At this rate, we might keep this one going UNTIL the last book comes out. :wink:

80sU2isBest said:

I don't have weak faith, and I don't wish to read the books.

Weak faith doesn't enter into the picture at all. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with faith. It has to do with how they apply their moral values.

It has nothing to do with values. Your values tell you not to enjoy fantasy...hell that would put Walt Disney out of work. These people fear it will corrupt them. That's weak faith. You said as a parent that you wouldn't read it to see if it was appropriate because it may promote witchcraft, well so what if it did. Then you put down the book and you tell your child not to read it, but if you don't even take that step, it's out of fear.

80sU2isBest said:

No, of course not. From their view, they would say that this type of book is different, because the Bible expressly forbids having anything to do with sorcery or magic.

So is sorcery real?

80sU2isBest said:

Frankly, I'm used to people making hit and run insults against me, so that's why I took it the way I did. If you did not intend it as an insult, I apoligize for misunderstanding.

No biggie. I wasn't trying to insult you.

It was a general comment, and frankly it probably didn't read right.

nbcrusader said:

I'm not sure parents are unsure of their faith to read the book. It is more a matter of what you are willing to expose to your child and the example one sets for their children.

But that's the point I'm trying to make. How do you protect you children from things you don't know? I think it would be a terrific example to your children saying you know what I read the book and I've decided you shouldn't read it. Not, look I haven't read it, no one I knows read it, but you can't because I know it will make you want to be a witch.:|

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It has nothing to do with values. Your values tell you not to enjoy fantasy...hell that would put Walt Disney out of work. These people fear it will corrupt them. That's weak faith. You said as a parent that you wouldn't read it to see if it was appropriate because it may promote witchcraft, well so what if it did. Then you put down the book and you tell your child not to read it, but if you don't even take that step, it's out of fear.

So is sorcery real?

My values don't necessarily tell me not to "enjoy fantasy". I am a very creative person, and have even written a fictional novel. Sorcery and witchcraft do not the whole of fiction make.

BVS, I'll say this one more time. The Bible says to stay away from sorcery and witchcraft. I don't wish to disobey him. It's not fear.

And yes, I do believe sorcery is real.

80sU2isBest said:

My values don't necessarily tell me not to "enjoy fantasy". I am a very creative person, and have even written a fictional novel. Sorcery and witchcraft do not the whole of fiction make.

BVS, I'll say this one more time. The Bible says to stay away from sorcery and witchcraft. I don't wish to disobey him. It's not fear.

And yes, I do believe sorcery is real.

So if it's real(which I don't believe), will reading a child's book about it be too powerful for you? We watch movies, read books and see news stories about many "sins", are we not suppose to expose ourselves to these things? Will the Wizard of Oz corrupt my soul? Sleeping beauty? Fantasia?

80sU2isBest said:

Ok, now I know you believe every word of the Bible to come directly from God, and I'm not interested in arguing that.

But I'm curious as to where these scriptures are located? Are they OT man written laws or did Jesus ever say anything about it? Because I don't remember it being in the 10 commandments.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Ok, now I know you believe every word of the Bible to come directly from God, and I'm not interested in arguing that.

But I'm curious as to where these scriptures are located? Are they OT man written laws or did Jesus ever say anything about it? Because I don't remember it being in the 10 commandments.

Many are Old Testament Laws from God, but Paul even warned against sorcery and witchcraft in the book of Galatians.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

So if it's real(which I don't believe), will reading a child's book about it be too powerful for you? We watch movies, read books and see news stories about many "sins", are we not suppose to expose ourselves to these things? Will the Wizard of Oz corrupt my soul? Sleeping beauty? Fantasia?

I never said it would corrupt my soul. My soul is bought with the blood of Jesus, and "there is therfore no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus".

I want to obey God, so I dont want to expose myself to sorcery and witchcraft. I watched a couple of seasons of the TV shows Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel. After a while, I felt really convicted to stop, so I did.

80sU2isBest said:
I, and others, happen to believe that sorcery and witchcraft are works of the devil.

Yeah first burn the books, then burn the witches.

Couldn´t help but make this point - this mindset just reminds me too much of the medieval age.

MadelynIris said:
http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=sorcery&qs_version=31

http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=witchcraft&x=13&y=13

But for all of those who watch soap operas, or even 'Friends' for that matter, they endorse adultery.

So sad.

There are several TV shows and movies that endorse things that are against, and frankly I believe we shouldn't watch them.

But I also believe that sorcery and witchcraft are even more dangerous because i believe they can open the person up to the world of the occult.

MadelynIris said:
Seriously 80s - have you addressed the Star Wars, Gandalf thing?

George Lucas must be a direct representative of Satan. I mean look at Yoda and the Sith and all that magic stuff in there. Plain evil.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Yeah first burn the books, then burn the witches.

Couldn´t help but make this point - this mindset just reminds me too much of the medieval age.
I'm not going to burn witches, and I don't even hate witches.

But I know what the Bible says about it, and that's what I am repeating.

I'm trying to think of any show on TV that doesn't focus on some kind of sex/violence/selfishness...in one way or another.

Buffy - good riddence, but I say you chuck the whole TV.

hmm....

MadelynIris said:
Seriously 80s - have you addressed the Star Wars, Gandalf thing?

I've never seriously thought about those two in regards to sorcery, to be honest.

80sU2isBest said:

I want to obey God, so I dont want to expose myself to sorcery and witchcraft. I watched a couple of seasons of the TV shows Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel. After a while, I felt really convicted to stop, so I did.

Well I'm glad you did because those show absolutely sucked.:wink:

MadelynIris said:
I'm trying to think of any show on TV that doesn't focus on some kind of sex/violence/selfishness...in one way or another.

Buffy - good riddence, but I say you chuck the whole TV.

hmm....

I can think of lots - mainly old TV shows, but there are a few new shows, even. Joan of Arcadia, which has recently been canceled, is one.

I also believe that sorcery and witchcraft are even more dangerous because i believe they can open the person up to the world of the occult

No.

Adultery, selfishness, pride, gluttony, are all more dangerous than Harry Potter.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well I'm glad you did because those show absolutely sucked.:wink:

Angel and Buffy wern't really into the occult the first season or so. But when they started getting that way, I stopped.

But I think they were very well-acted TV shows.

This is getting none of us anywhere. I still do not believe that these people are Nazis, the KKK, the Taliban or even mentally deranged. That was my whole point to begin with.

80sU2isBest said:

I'm not going to burn witches, and I don't even hate witches.

But I know what the Bible says about it, and that's what I am repeating.

That´s a good thing that you don´t hate witches. because indeed Jesus told us not to hate, but to love.

While we´re at it, what do you think about Adam´s first wife, Lilith? (the one you can´t find in today´s version of the Bible anymore..) ...you think she was a witch?

This is getting none of us anywhere. I still do not believe that these people are Nazis, the KKK, the Taliban or even mentall deranged. That was my whole point to begin with

True. And I FULLY support you here. But, I am bringing about the point of the original post - care to take a crack at the difference between JKR and JRR?

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

That´s a good thing that you don´t hate witches. because indeed Jesus told us not to hate, but to love.

While we´re at it, what do you think about Adam´s first wife, Lilith? (the one you can´t find in today´s version of the Bible anymore..) ...you think she was a witch?

You see, I believe that the Bible we have today is the accurate Bible, so I do not believe in Lilith.

80's I just read Galations 5 and also did a little internet research.

I found some interesting things.

Here's the scripture I think you were refering to:
19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

One interpretation I found which I thought was interesting:

Now clearly revealed, we know that human nature is committed to some of these things: sexual recklessness including prostitution (harlotry), adultery, incest, sexual intimacy without the benefit of vows (fornication); physical and moral impurity; extravagance (licentiousness), decadence (debauchery); 20worshiping images and false gods; over-medicating and poisoning self and others with drugs and potions (practicing witchcraft), dealing drugs (sorcery), tricksters and con artists (magic);

But another thing one has to consider is terminology. Witchcraft at the time was probably something applied to something they couldn't explain by their very limited knowledge of science.

It probably wasn't mixing toads with batwings saying funny words and waving a wand. This is what Harry Potter is about.

Now I ask you. You honestly believe that some out there can wave wands, mix animal parts, say a few words and actually cast a spell?

Back
Top Bottom