Silly Christofacsists on CNN burning Harry Potter books - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2005, 11:35 AM   #136
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
What kind of Christians does it represent?
A brand of far-right, irrational and illogical Christians that prefer to live on their own dystopic plane of reality from everyone else.

Melon
__________________

__________________
melon is offline  
Old 07-18-2005, 11:39 AM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon


A brand of far-right, irrational and illogical Christians that prefer to live on their own dystopic plane of reality from everyone else.

Melon
This could mean anything from Ann Coulter to Pat Robertson. My reason for asking was to get a specific definition, and I don't mean to nag for following through. But is it the religion aspect or the political aspect that leads to all these Nazi and Taliban comparisans?
__________________

__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 07-18-2005, 11:41 AM   #138
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
This could mean anything from Ann Coulter to Pat Robertson. My reason for asking was to get a specific definition, and I don't mean to nag for following through. But is it the religion aspect or the political aspect that leads to all these Nazi and Taliban comparisans?
Good. That's because Ann Coulter and Pat Robertson are both part of the Christian Taliban, as far as I'm concerned.

It's about a group of fanatics that have distorted and slandered an entire religion based on their lunatic actions. After all, "Christian" has now become synonymous with intolerance, small-mindedness, and ignorance. Shouldn't more Christians be offended?

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 07-18-2005, 11:46 AM   #139
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Shouldn't more Christians be offended?

Melon
I don't know about "offended", I wouldn't say it's downright offensive since I tend to expect those kinds of comments from time to time, but curious and puzzled enough to seek definition would be just fine.

I still think it's overstatement of the year to compare these types to Nazis and the Taliban.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 07-18-2005, 11:47 AM   #140
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon


Good. That's because Ann Coulter and Pat Robertson are both part of the Christian Taliban, as far as I'm concerned.

It's about a group of fanatics that have distorted and slandered an entire religion based on their lunatic actions. After all, "Christian" has now become synonymous with intolerance, small-mindedness, and ignorance. Shouldn't more Christians be offended?

Melon

stop Melon!!! you're accusing ALL Christians of bieng Nazis!!! every last one!!! ALL CHRISTIANS!!! how dare you spread your lies and stereotypes in here!!!
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-18-2005, 12:02 PM   #141
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra


Whereas they should all come to their senses and realise that I, and only I, am correct, damn it!
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-18-2005, 12:06 PM   #142
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I still think it's overstatement of the year to compare these types to Nazis and the Taliban.
It would be to call them "Nazis," yes, but they are the Christian equivalent to the Taliban. They want their archconservative illogic to spread all over America, whether we like it or not. The difference is that the Christian Taliban is in the process of trying to take over America, while the other Taliban is already deposed.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 07-18-2005, 12:07 PM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 09:13 PM
I see this entire thread as a laughing matter.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 07-18-2005, 12:13 PM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




you know, you've never said anything that ever actually angered me.

until now.

you only see what you want to see, you only read the words that serve whatever persecution complex you have. if you go back and read the earlier thread, you'll find something quite different.

for now, get off the Cross, 80s. we need the wood.

woe is you.
As I said before, I don't care whether you're talking about me or not. So you can throw that "persecution complex" garbage out the window. What I take issue with is that you deem those who who don't believe certain of the same things you do as "dangerous", because science says it, and if science says it, it must be true. To me, that is intellectual snobbery.

Irvine, you said that believing that every word in the Bible to be true is dangerous. You said it several times, in fact. Then you say that it's only dangerous when people believe every word even when those words contradict science. Well, there are indeed ideas in the Bible that contradict popular scientific thought. So, if I or anyone else believes that every word in the Bible is true, we are by default believing in things that contradict popular scientific thought. So, we are, by default, dangerous, according to your definition.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-18-2005, 12:19 PM   #145
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,651
Local Time: 07:13 PM
Harry Potter, books burning, the people doing this anybody remember the subject at hand?
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 07-18-2005, 12:20 PM   #146
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon


It would be to call them "Nazis," yes, but they are the Christian equivalent to the Taliban. They want their archconservative illogic to spread all over America, whether we like it or not. The difference is that the Christian Taliban is in the process of trying to take over America, while the other Taliban is already deposed.

Melon
While the archconservative movement is alive and well as the neo-liberal movement here at home, that's not a valid comparisan. The Taliban were willing to declare jihad in what seemed to be a time of peace. They're terrorist scum, and they rightfully belong in graveyards for their plots against any civil society that doesn't conform to islamofascism. Anyone who does not convert to their perverted brand of Islam, they want dead. There is hardly a Christian equivalent to the Taliban, which would include a very select few, such as Fred Phelps.

Taking over America? I think we're jumping into concrete with that one, too. Having an influence in the country does not equal a takeover. Same goes for environmentalists or any other group seeking political power. Yet, the comparisan does not hold water - neither group is out to shed blood on their own people, with the exception of those who commit atrocious crimes, and deserve nothing but the worst possible punishments for them.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 07-18-2005, 12:24 PM   #147
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


As I said before, I don't care whether you're talking about me or not. So you can throw that "persecution complex" garbage out the window. What I take issue with is that you deem those who who don't believe certain of the same things you do as "dangerous", because science says it, and if science says it, it must be true. To me, that is intellectual snobbery.

Irvine, you said that believing that every word in the Bible to be true is dangerous. You said it several times, in fact. Then you say that it's only dangerous when people believe every word even when those words contradict science. Well, there are indeed ideas in the Bible that contradict popular scientific thought. So, if I or anyone else believes that every word in the Bible is true, we are by default believing in things that contradict popular scientific thought. So, we are, by default, dangerous, according to your definition.


okay. plain and simple: if one is going to insist that the world is only 4,000 years old because the Bible tells them so, and if the best science we know has reached a virtual consensus that the earth is 4.5 billion years old, then i am guilty of intellectual snobbery when i think that people who believe THEIR OWN INTERPRETATION of the Bible is correct are willfull fucking idiots.

they're being purposefully ignorant, and i'm going to calla spade a spade. and, yes, that is dangerous. closed minds are dangerous.

what i think is just HILARIOUS, 80s, is that you are making the assumptions that ALL christians (or perhaps it is all true Christians? are you looking to play that game?) believe every word the Bible says? or that belief in every word the Bible says is necessarily predicated upon scientific ignorance?

if so, then God help you all.

i wrote this in another thread, but i'm going to post it again here because i think it elucidates what Melon, and I, and others are talking about:

this has nothing to do with intelligence, it has everything to do with willful self-deception.

let me tell you something:

i am currently helping to produce a series of educational DVDs about math. the company i work for believes that a big potential market for this particular education product will be home-schoolers. the business assumption -- which comes from research -- is that the majority of home schoolers in the US are of a fundamentalist Christian stripe and will not purchase anything that goes against a specific worldview. and we know what the specifics are, because marketing and research has laid it all out for us. we cannot have any of the following things in our programs:

-- no tattoos
-- no mention of "evolution"
-- no mention of "contraversial" science, i.e., the age of the earth, when the dinosaurs lived, etc.
-- some claims must always be prefaced by, "Some scientists believe that ..."
-- no card games
-- no billards
-- no horse racing

and that's just for starters. i didn't make any of this up, and these rules weren't drawn simply from stereotypes -- they were created via research and marketing and product testing.

this is the Know-Nothingism of which i speak, and it terrifies me that, through my work, i am acquiescing and therefore economically legitimizing a segment of American society that ultimately seeks my social death as a gay person.

and, gosh, if these people knew just how many homos, jews, unwed mothers, divorced people, and childless married people who worked on these products ...
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-18-2005, 12:29 PM   #148
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 02:13 AM
Science.....a modern conceit....
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 07-18-2005, 12:44 PM   #149
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Rono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: the Netherlands
Posts: 6,163
Local Time: 02:13 AM
Can i burn some of that dvd`s
__________________
Rono is offline  
Old 07-18-2005, 12:57 PM   #150
War Child
 
Sparkysgrrrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: under the table and screaming
Posts: 754
Local Time: 05:13 PM
"Where they have burned books, they will end in burning human beings."Heinrich Heine, from his play Almansor (1821)

Book burning is just absolutely infuriating to me.
I don't take the written word lightly, it can educate, entertain, enlighten, anger, it pretty much conjures up every emotion (as we see in this thread lol )

People that take books for granted make me ill.
And I realize that in this case we are just talking about Harry Potter but I don't care. That book would make a lot of children in miserable situations forget their troubles for a time and that to me is a good thing.

And if you want to be taken seriously, then you'd think burning a book would be the last thing you'd do. As righteous as one thinks their being, to most people, when someone says "book burning" they DO think of Nazis. It's not something you can easily get away from.

"The common people were eager to learn. To destroy their literature was to burn a bridge from common knowledge to deeper thought and introspection."

I just saw this site, really cool -
http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedboo...ookburning.htm
__________________

__________________
Sparkysgrrrl is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com