Silly Anticapitalists in AZ Burning Wal-Mart? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2005, 09:32 PM   #1
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:16 PM
Silly Anticapitalists in AZ Burning Wal-Mart?

Didn't want to derail the Harry Potter thread even further by posting this there, but I stumbled across this while checking a reference in that thread and thought it was too good not to share. If this doesn't take the cake for overdrawn analogies, I don't know what does.

Wal-Mart To Apologize For Ad in Newspaper

By Amy Joyce
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, May 14, 2005

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. said yesterday that it made a "terrible" mistake in approving a recent newspaper advertisement that equated a proposed Arizona zoning ordinance with Nazi book-burning.

The full-page advertisement included a 1933 photo of people throwing books on a pyre at Berlin's Opernplatz. It was run as part of a campaign against a Flagstaff ballot proposal that would restrict Wal-Mart from expanding a local store to include a grocery.

The accompanying text read "Should we let government tell us what we can read? Of course not . . . So why should we allow local government to limit where we shop?" The bottom of the advertisement announced that the ad was "Paid for by Protect Flagstaff's Future-Major Funding by Wal-Mart (Bentonville, AR)."

"It's not the imagery itself. It trivializes the Nazis and what they did. And to try to attach that imagery to a municipal election goes beyond distasteful," said Bill Straus, Arizona regional director for the Anti-Defamation League.

Wal-Mart, the nation's largest retailer, has given about $300,000 to Protect Flagstaff's Future to help defeat Proposition 100, a local ordinance that would restrict stores of more than 75,000 square feet that devote more than 8 percent of their floor area to groceries. The proposal is one of a number around the country to regulate the size and design of big-box stores, particularly Wal-Marts.

Though the ad includes no apparent Nazi insignia or imagery, Straus said it's a well-known image among people "with any kind of knowledge of the Holocaust." Straus contacted Wal-Mart on Friday, and they told him an apology would be issued.

The group that created the advertisement said the ad was one of a series opposing Proposition 100. Other ads included a picture of a child praying and a person with duct tape over her mouth. "We wanted people to think about the freedoms we enjoy in America. The intent was wholly honorable and good," said Chuck Coughlin, president of Highground Inc., a Phoenix consulting company that created the advertisement. "We will not back away from substance of the ads . . . We will apologize for the use of imagery."

"People make mistakes. They move on," he said.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:05 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 12:16 PM
ah yes, because puting people in death camps or forced labor camps is JUST like not allowing people the "freedom" to wander around in the bright white glow of a Wal-Mart searching for twinkies at midnight.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:16 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 04:16 PM
^ LOL ..........you kill me
Old 08-02-2005, 07:29 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Old 08-02-2005, 07:35 AM   #5
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
ah yes, because puting people in death camps or forced labor camps is JUST like not allowing people the "freedom" to wander around in the bright white glow of a Wal-Mart searching for twinkies at midnight.
That could very well be one of the best replies I've ever read.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 08-02-2005, 07:48 AM   #6
War Child

That F&%$ing takes the cake indeed. Like service men fought and died so we could have the "freedom" to buy cheap quality products made in sweatshops in an aesthetically nightmarish big-box shop which puts all other retailers within a 15 mile radius out of business!
Old 08-02-2005, 09:47 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

ah, but paul harvey loves wal mart so we should too
Old 08-02-2005, 09:48 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

wal mart
Old 08-02-2005, 12:36 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:16 AM
They should have equated the ballot measure with someone shooting themselves in the head.

Follow the trail of money to those who back the ballot measure. Things will not get better for the workers and consumers of Flagstaff.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:27 PM   #10
Refugee

heh thanks. I'm glad I got some laughs out of that one. I was afraid I would offend everybody with it.

As far as Wal-Mart goes. As a shopper, I love the place. It has a huge selection, the prices are low and I can get everything I need with only one stop.

However, as a human being I hate Wal-Mart. I see so many small stores driven out because they cannot compete with Wal-Mart. I hate them because they ultimately hurt the economies of small towns.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:16 AM
The ad doesn't even make sense! The proposition doesn't have anything to do with banning the sale of books. Wal-Mart was planning to expand to sell groceries, not more books!