Sikh Protest Over Controversial Play

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heard about this on BBC this morning. I feel sorry for them if they are offended, but hello...it is Britain and there is such a thing as FREEDOM OF SPEECH! If you don't like a play...just don't go to it. :huh:

Sewa Singh Mandla, chairman of Sikh Gurdawas, said he did not condone what had happened at the theatre but protesters had been provoked.

"The problem is that the entire play is in a Gurdawa and a Gurdawa is a sacred place of worship for Sikhs.

"The play depicts sexual abuse, homosexual activities, rape and murder. In real life these things do not happen in Gurdawas."

i guess that would be the perception seeing that no one is even allowed to talk about it. :huh: it scares me when people say things like this, "oh, those kinds of bad things don't happen in our community." they happen everywhere, unfortunately.

censorship is always bad, especially when it serves to silence people who may not have a voice to tell what's happening to them behind closed doors.

i agree, if you've got a problem with the play, don't go see it, but that's no excuse for violently protesting against it.

:down:

Last edited:
It is absolutely woeful and entirely infuriating. A play, written by a Sikh and enjoyed by members of the Sikh community, is having to be closed down (the theatre has decided to end its run) because a bunch of ignorant peasants choose to violently protest about it. Apalling.

This sort of behaviour would only be encouraged should the Bill Banning Incitement for Racial Hatred be followed through by Parliament, and we will be seeing more and more people protesting over certain plays they dont like, over novels they can't stomach.

Pathetic and reprehesinble. If they don't like it they can go elsewhere.

Ant.

Anthony said:
It is absolutely woeful and entirely infuriating. A play, written by a Sikh and enjoyed by members of the Sikh community, is having to be closed down (the theatre has decided to end its run) because a bunch of ignorant peasants choose to violently protest about it. Apalling.

This sort of behaviour would only be encouraged should the Bill Banning Incitement for Racial Hatred be followed through by Parliament, and we will be seeing more and more people protesting over certain plays they dont like, over novels they can't stomach.

Pathetic and reprehesinble. If they don't like it they can go elsewhere.

Ant.

Probably the 1st time I have agreed with Ant on FYM.

100% agree - word to word :)

I agree with you guys, this is horrible. When a few nuts determine what's available to an entire community, something's really wrong.

They will probably be able to lay charges against the writer when the thought police - oops -I mean "religious tollerance" laws get layed down.

dandy said:
i guess that would be the perception seeing that no one is even allowed to talk about it. :huh: it scares me when people say things like this, "oh, those kinds of bad things don't happen in our community." they happen everywhere, unfortunately.

censorship is always bad, especially when it serves to silence people who may not have a voice to tell what's happening to them behind closed doors.

i agree, if you've got a problem with the play, don't go see it, but that's no excuse for violently protesting against it.

:down:

Agree wholeheartedly with this post :up:.

Yeah, disagree with the play all you want, express that you don't like the themes, whatever. But to become violent about it-first off, that's only proving what the play talks about to be true (they said murder was a part of the play, and that's a violent act, just as this incident was (thankfully nobody was killed, though), so...), and second, it's a stupid way to get what you want. You don't go endangering other people's lives just because you disagree with the beliefs they're expressing. You just don't.

So yeah, major :down: to those who are trying to censor this play.

Angela

Sadly the violence worked. The protesters got what they wanted. Makes me wonder what they are afraid of.

Boy, this is too close to home. It happens a lot in Malaysia as well. When they staged a local adaptation of Eve Ensler's Vagina Monologues, with some bits from the Quran weaved into the play, some fogies (who never saw the play) complained and the play was subsequently banned. I guess this is the kind of thing that keeps us in the "Third World", eh.

Ant :wave:

foray

Indeed, but it would be better, and a whole lot less irritating if these people, who have such a problem with our free speech, went back to where they came from, instead of being hell-bent on dragging the UK to the culture of a third world country.

:wave: foray. I was looking at your present the other day - I'm still incredibly grateful. How come I can't PM you?

Ant.

merry christmas nonetheless, everyone

Anthony said:

:wave: foray. I was looking at your present the other day - I'm still incredibly grateful. How come I can't PM you?

Ant.

Because I am not a Premium Member. foray at hotmail dot com will do it - sorry, I've forgotten your e-mail.

foray

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom