Signs the Apocalypse Are Upon Us - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2004, 10:00 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:20 AM
I love how some can create false distinctions over identical behavior based on party affiliation.

Old 10-27-2004, 10:32 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by strannix

Say all you want, but you'll never see a Democrat trying to prevent people from voting. There's a reason why nobody says they're intimidating anyone.
Some wags might say that getting felons and dead people to vote is the Democrats' bag.

Old 10-27-2004, 11:11 AM   #18
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I love how some can create false distinctions over identical behavior based on party affiliation.
It's like you don't even read the words on the page.

IT'S NOT IDENTICAL BEHAVIOR!
Old 10-27-2004, 11:12 AM   #19
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

Some wags might say that getting felons and dead people to vote is the Democrats' bag.
They might, but that's a different argument. As long as they're not intimidating the dead people, my point stands....
Old 10-27-2004, 11:13 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Oh please. Both parties have people to watch the polls. The idea is to identify potential voting irregularities. If the DNC wants to give it a different label, so be it. The behavior is identical.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:41 AM   #21
Acrobat

Quote:
Oh please. Both parties have people to watch the polls. The idea is to identify potential voting irregularities. If the DNC wants to give it a different label, so be it. The behavior is identical.
That's a ridiculous contention. Even if I accept that the goal is identical - preventing voter fraud - the means of achieving this could not be more different.

But if you want to argue that preventing people from voting and enabling people to vote is the same thing, go ahead. Most people will realize that "preventing" and "enabling" in fact have completely opposite meanings.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:43 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

If you mean ex-felons -

that should be the bag of every decent American.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:45 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Ah, so the contention is that the DNC lawyers will only assist potential disenfranchised voters from GOP poll watchers?

I guess the idea that someone from the left would ever intimidate another person is outside the realm of possibility?

The DNC may give it another title, but the practical affect of the poll watchers is identical.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:58 PM   #24
Acrobat

Quote:

The DNC may give it another title, but the practical affect of the poll watchers is identical.

No point in arguing. If the sight of a DNC lawyer arguing that the black guy in front of you is indeed eligible to vote intimidates you, what can I say?

Look, I'm not arguing that the DNC folks are on the side of the angels in every single instance. But if you think their intent or their effect is to scare people away from voting, you're simply, objectively wrong. It's just not a matter of opinion.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:29 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by strannix
But if you think their intent or their effect is to scare people away from voting, you're simply, objectively wrong. It's just not a matter of opinion.
What is the basis for this contention? Because that is what they told you?

I don't want to get into a partisian pissing match over this. But it strains credibility to suggest that the GOP's main goal is to intimidate registered voters while the DNC's main goal is to protect the "disenfranchised". It is based on tired old stereotypes of the parties.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:34 PM   #26
Acrobat

Quote:

What is the basis for this contention? Because that is what they told you?

I don't want to get into a partisian pissing match over this. But it strains credibility to suggest that the GOP's main goal is to intimidate registered voters while the DNC's main goal is to protect the "disenfranchised". It is based on tired old stereotypes of the parties.
No, it's not based on "stereotypes". It is in the GOP's interest to suppress turnout, especially minority turnout. Likewise, it is in the Dems' interest to ensure a high turnout, especially minority turnout. Polling has born this out again and again. It's self-evident (or at least I thought it was ...) that both parties will act in their own self-interest.

Again, I'm not claiming that the Dems are necessarily on the side of the angels. If the situation was reversed, the roles would be too. But they're not.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:16 PM   #27
The Fly

I heard one news report that they don't expect "official" results for 30 days...I think it is better to wait then to incorrectly call a winner.