Significance of 33 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2001, 08:04 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 09:25 PM
Significance of 33

I brought this up in “Everything you know…” but it was buried. In the Bible, Jesus is said to be 33 when he dies and is resurrected. Adam, the mythical first man, was estimated to be around 33 at his creation. In “At the End of the World” – Bono is 33 at the end of the book and the author points out the link between Bono’s age and the age of Jesus at the end of his ministry. In “Vanilla Sky”, the main character is 33. (a movie about immortality)

It is said that our souls will eternally be 33 in heaven, no matter what age we were when dead.

I was just wondering if anyone could add some insight or knowledge to this theme.

Thanks

Old 12-18-2001, 08:11 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 05:25 PM
Can I be 25 instead in heaven?

Regardless, I never once heard that before. As for the age of Adam, no one can remotely tell his age, and anyone who claims to know is lying.

But I never realized this "33" connection in literature. I will have to use it more often in my own writing...heh.

~Melon

------------------
"Oh no...my brains."

Old 12-18-2001, 08:23 PM   #3
The Fly

As far as the REAL age - you are right, nobody will ever know. By why chose 33 as the mythical age?

I am 31 - so I wonder if when I am 33 I will understand...
Old 12-18-2001, 08:41 PM   #4
The Fly

Watch the movie "Pi" someday, if you haven't yet. The quote I love is that if you look for a specific number, you'll find it anywhere.

The "666" thing, to me, was the biggest joke. Three Hebrew characters for Satan are now supposed to be numbers? Because I find that amusing, considering that Arabic numerals didn't hit Palestine and the Western world until the Crusades in c. A.D. 1200, and the Old Testament was written at least 1700 years prior.

And I remember the biggest hype about "666": 666 x 3 = 1998. So, all these numerologists were trying to pin the end of the world on 1998 and it never happened.

But I've gone way off topic here. The hype over the number "3" is that it is half of "6." That's all. "333" is the supposed number of God and "666" is the supposed number of Satan, but the Bible is full of seemingly arbitrary numbers...7...12...40...

Basically, I guess, my point is not to put much store in it (even though I know you weren't per se).

~Melon

------------------
"Oh no...my brains."
Old 12-18-2001, 09:05 PM   #5
The Fly

I do not think there is any real significance other than a symbolic one. I am just curious what point the authors and artists were trying to get across.

Is 33 our peak (in physical form and appearance - if not in sexual performance)?
It is sort of a crossroads age - a time when we are still young enough to have the energy to apply our new found wisdom. An age when we have built up enough experience to see the world with mature eyes, yet old enough to not be so quick to anger and to judge.
Old 12-18-2001, 10:45 PM   #6
Banned

WoW , 33? , really , but ofcource even God understands that to see ZOO TV / Zooropa shows live deserves even to re-write the holy bible , LoL
Old 12-19-2001, 01:30 AM   #7
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Quote:
Originally posted by Hans Moleman:
The quote I love is that if you look for a specific number, you'll find it anywhere.
I agree. You could do this with any number...the numbers 40 and 7 show up a lot in the Bible and other places also...

------------------
One love, one life...
Give peace a chance!
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Create Light
Create Unity
Create Joy
CREATE PEACE!
Old 12-19-2001, 02:44 AM   #8
War Child

Local Time: 02:25 PM
I've never been much for numerology but here goes:

Jesus Christ died and was resurrected at the age of 33.

Larry Bird wore number 33. The Celtics have never been the same since he retired. *Sob*

U2 lyric: "They want you to be Jesus/They'll go down on one knee/But they want their money back if you're alive at 33."

"thirty-three" is the title of a gorgeous Smashing Pumkins song. "Speak to me in a language I can hear/Humor me before I have to go/Deep in thought I forgive everyone..."

MAP
Old 12-19-2001, 03:07 AM   #9
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by hippyactress:
I agree. You could do this with any number...the numbers 40 and 7 show up a lot in the Bible and other places also...

I think you are missing the point of the discussion. I am not trying to unlock the mystery of the universe with numbers or numerology. All I was trying to do was point out that I saw a trend about the AGE 33, not the number. Again - the AGE 33. Why have poets, artists, and writers made this in important milestone in a person's life? Perhaps it is the true age of accountability? Just theorizing - and I would like to hear other theories.

For those that are younger than 33, what do you hope you will be like at 33? For those over 33 - can you see that as a turning point in your life (better or worse?)

Quite simply - I find it fascinitating from a literary perspective. Writers use symbols to help "universilize" their story. There is oviously a reason they see 33 a symbol - I am just trying to discover what that is.
Old 12-19-2001, 03:12 AM   #10
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 03:25 PM
I'll be 33 next year! I guess I'll find out!

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

www.geocities.com/u2_celebrate/u2_celebration.html

http://www.geocities.com/u2dallas2001/DallasTX.html

http://www.geocities.com/u2austin2001/U2AustinTX.html

[This message has been edited by ABEL (edited 12-19-2001).]
Old 12-19-2001, 08:16 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:25 PM
Do the brewers of Rolling Rock know something the rest of us don't?
Old 12-19-2001, 11:42 AM   #12
The Fly

Perhaps you are reading too much into all this. Whether or not you believe him to be the Son of God, you can not argue that anyone has impacted this world more than Jesus of Nazareth. Maybe this very fact has influenced others to incorporate his age at crucifixion and resurrection into their own works. That would be my guess.
Old 12-20-2001, 12:18 AM   #13
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Quote:
Originally posted by Thermopylae:

I think you are missing the point of the discussion. I am not trying to unlock the mystery of the universe with numbers or numerology. All I was trying to do was point out that I saw a trend about the AGE 33, not the number.
Guess I did misunderstand.

------------------
One love, one life...
Give peace a chance!
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Create Light
Create Unity
Create Joy
CREATE PEACE!
Old 12-20-2001, 01:50 AM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson:
Do the brewers of Rolling Rock know something the rest of us don't?
They know that the legal prohibition on drinking alcohol in the United States ended in 1933. Thus the joyfull '33' on the bottle.
That it was actually illegal to drink alcohol in the U.S. as recently as 68 years ago is proof positive that we Americans are occasionally insane.

It's all the evidence I need that I never want "concerned" Christian Womens groups and the Government involved in my affairs.

MAP

Old 12-20-2001, 11:07 AM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 03:25 PM
I guess I just haven't seen the age of 33 to be much of a literary device. Ok, jesus is believed to have been about 33 when he was killed. But no writer of the Bible ever states that he was 33. It is assumed, based primarily on the fact that the book of Luke states that Jesus was about 30 years at his baptism, and an estimated length of his public ministry of 3 years. So I would argue that the writers of the gospels were not using 33 as a symbol.
Bono was 33 at the end of Flannagan's book. I think the author is more interested in making the comparison between Jesus and Bono, than the specific age of 33.
I haven't seen Vanilla Sky.
I've never heard it said that our souls will eternally be 33 in heaven.
I've never heard it said that Adam was created with an apparent age of 33.
Who's saying this?

From these examples, I just don't see 33 being used symbolically more than any other age. I don't think 33 is any more our "peak" than 32 or 34.

Are you 33, by chance?