Sign on the Playground: NO RUNNING! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2006, 01:23 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Martha touches on a great point - how can the burden of teaching core integrity issues (such as respect for others) be placed on schools? How do you incentivize parents to undertake this task? Once a person reaches a certain age, can they even learn to change their behavior substantially?

Old 05-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #32
She's the One

Exactly. The bullies usually have bully parents.

The kids who do stupid stuff and get hurt frequently have parents that don't hold the kid responsible for anything.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

The kids who do stupid stuff and get hurt frequently have parents that don't hold the kid responsible for anything.
But is anyone really responsible when it's just and accident? I've got plenty of friends who had broken arms or legs from falling off a swingset or falling off a bike. To me that's just part of being a kid, not that their parents are irresponsible. If we start holding kids and parents responsible for that kind of stuff, aren't we left with exactly what we've got - kids being told/taught not to run on playgrounds or play sports during recess? It seems like if someone has to be responsible each time, then we're assuming some level of negligence as well. To me, playground accidents are just playground accidents. If a parent feels the need to sue for millions of dollars over a common accident, s/he should sue him/herself for having a kid in the first place!
Old 05-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

But is anyone really responsible when it's just and accident? I've got plenty of friends who had broken arms or legs from falling off a swingset or falling off a bike. To me that's just part of being a kid, not that their parents are irresponsible. If we start holding kids and parents responsible for that kind of stuff, aren't we left with exactly what we've got - kids being told/taught not to run on playgrounds or play sports during recess? It seems like if someone has to be responsible each time, then we're assuming some level of negligence as well. To me, playground accidents are just playground accidents. If a parent feels the need to sue for millions of dollars over a common accident, s/he should sue him/herself for having a kid in the first place!
You would think....

People will make an issue of (1) whether the equipment was properly maintained, (2) whether the children were properly supervised, or (3) the availability of alternative activities, etc. There are no more accidents in many place - fault must be assessed on some party as the "victim" sure couldn't be at fault.

And for every lawsuit we hear about, there are dozens of claims that are quickly settled just to avoid litigation costs. $10K won't buy you a whole lot of attorney time, but it will make some claimant very happy.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #35
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Falling off the swingset or scraping yourself up on the blacktop is a normal part of being a kid and no, I don't think the parents or the kids are really responsible, it's part of growing up.

On the other hand, you have kids who are risk takers and refuse to follow any kind of rules. Things like going down a slide backwards and hitting your head on the ground, after you've been repeatedly told not to is the responsibility of the child and his/her parent... but good luck getting either one to accept any blame. They would rather file suit and get the playground equipment torn out.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:34 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:55 AM
Re: Sign on the Playground: NO RUNNING!

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse
http://www.katu.com/stories/85715.html
This is ridiculous.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:41 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:55 AM
when my daughter was 6 or 7, she was running in the hallways to her class room. from another direction going to the same location was another kid running at the same speed if not faster. well, they didnt see each other and when they did it was too late to stop and they both collided and split their foreheads open. same injury same number of stitches (14). even tho there were no aides around, i didnt feel that the school was responsible only because the kids are not supposed to run in the hallways. if it was a playground, same thing. kids will get hurt. its part of life.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:55 AM
^

People are just getting way too litigous(sp?) lately. Are kids going to get sued now for looking at another the wrong way? That's what it's going to come down to in about 5-10 years.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:09 PM   #39
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by icelle
when my daughter was 6 or 7, she was running in the hallways to her class room. from another direction going to the same location was another kid running at the same speed if not faster. well, they didnt see each other and when they did it was too late to stop and they both collided and split their foreheads open. same injury same number of stitches (14). even tho there were no aides around, i didnt feel that the school was responsible only because the kids are not supposed to run in the hallways. if it was a playground, same thing. kids will get hurt. its part of life.
And this is EXACTLY why there are rules about running.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #40
Refugee

Local Time: 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Next
we'll be forced to get tattoos that read

"Choking Hazard"

in the 40's- in indiana..just outside of chicago..........my mom and her ten bros and sisters..and all the kids in the community got thier blood types tatooed on the side of thier torsos...

when you said that - i was reminded of it
Old 05-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #41
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

And this is EXACTLY why there are rules about running.

shit happens.....

there are rules about picking your nose....but everyone dose it anyway
Old 05-11-2006, 08:21 PM   #42
Refugee

What don't they just give up on childhood........go right from cradle to adulthood {makes more sense and think of all the money that would be saved during the years of growing up....}
Old 05-11-2006, 08:28 PM   #43
Refugee

I almost forgot.....they now have a TV program designed especially for babies {why not start them off young sitting in front of the TV, give them a remote control and perhaps someone will invent a baby recliner chair {there you go....all set for adulthood}. See I told you so!
Old 05-11-2006, 11:37 PM   #44
She's the One

Ok. You guys are all up in arms about safety rules for kids.

Then lets extend your disdain for them into the realm of safety rules for adults. Virtually all of you who are complaining about rules about not running, even when we have evidence that people get seriously injured doing it, are the same people who want to force adults into wearing helmets when they ride motorcycles, yet absolutely none of you ride.

Now let's see you guys do some backtracking on your disdain for safety rules. Or, if it's only about kids, let's roll back those bike helmet laws for kids.

Now, let the excuses and the backtracking begin.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:03 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Good point Martha. There are two (or more) issues that run through this thread. One is the litigious nature of our society (blame everyone else instead of accepting responsibility). There is also a continuing growth in government intervention in how we conduct our lives (ostensibly for our own protection - to the extent that it affects the overall health care burden, this may be appropriate).

I guess this goes to show how you can take an issue and capitalize on the emotional impact of the single occurrence (children can't run!); when in reality you have been living by and under the same principle for quite some time (safety regulations).