*Sigh* Here's another one for ya

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmacphisto

Refugee
Read no further if you're in a good mood and dont want to be brought down (although i dont see how you could be feeling cheerful if youre in this forum...)

Community Mourns Slain Whittier Family
Suspect Was Family Acquaintance

UPDATED: 5:51 p.m. PDT July 15, 2002

WHITTIER, Calif. -- Sheriff's deputies arrested a 23-year-old man for the stabbing deaths of a family of four, including an 8-year-old girl who was molested before she was killed.

Alfonso Ignacio Morales, who lived in the victims' neighborhood, was arrested late Sunday, said Los Angeles County sheriff's Lt. Ray Peavy.

Police now believe Morales, described as a friend of the family, acted alone with burglary a part of the motive.

Morales was booked for investigation of multiple murder and was being held without bail, Peavy said.

Morales visited the house frequently, according to Art Arriaga, a neighbor.

Investigators said the bloody bodies were dragged from room to room and that the victims suffered greatly before they died.

A preliminary investigation has determined young Jasmine Ruiz was "brutally sexually assaulted" before she was killed, and at least two assailants carried out the slayings, said Deputy Bill Spear.

The bodies of Miguel "Mike" Ruiz, 37; his wife, Maritza Trejo, 41; their daughter, Jasmine; and Ruiz's 70-year-old grandmother, Ana Luisa Martinez, were found Saturday by Trejo's 21-year-old daughter, investigators said.

FeedRoom

23-Year-Old Neighobor Arrested

The bodies were found in separate rooms and the family's Whittier house had been ransacked, with walls and ceilings damaged, furniture overturned and drawers emptied, Peavy said.

No evidence of forced entry was found, Peavy said. The murder weapon has not been found. Also, no one in the neighborhood had reported unusual sounds, including barking by the family's two dogs.

"Whoever did this did not need to inflict so much pain and so much suffering to steal a couple of computers," Peavy said.

Investigators believe the family was killed sometime Friday.

Neighbors described the Ruizes as a likable, hard-working family involved in computer and audio equipment sales and repair.

"They're very much loved by the community... they didn't deserve this at all," said neighbor and friend Maria Cervantes.

A computer was found in a neighbor's back yard, and family members told authorities that computer equipment was missing from the home.

Peavy said Ruiz had no criminal record and that the family was not involved in "anything out of the ordinary."

"My entire family has just been stabbed to death. My brother, my grandma, my baby niece, my sister-in-law," Olga Ruiz, Miguel's sister, told the Los Angeles Times as she loaded the family's two dogs into her sport utility vehicle, stopping to hug neighbors who cried in her arms.

Ruiz's friend, tattoo parlor owner Mike Gutierrez, said he last talked to his friend of nine years about 9 p.m. Thursday.

Guitierrez told the Times that Ruiz worked as a stereo technician at Sound City in Maywood, and fixed computers at home. Trejo also worked in the electronics business, selling audio equipment at a Pomona swap meet.

"It made his day when he was able to fix (the problem)," Gutierrez said. "He saw the relief in their customers' faces when he brought the computers back to life. I'm just flabbergasted, I'm having a hard time understanding it."

Neighbors said Ruiz fixed his schedule so he could care for his grandmother, who had suffered a stroke, and pick up Jasmine from school.

"He was always there for his daughter, like a Mr. Mom," said neighbor Lupe Rivera, 27.

Jasmine Ruiz was well-liked at her school McKibben Elementary. "She's going to be missed by all," school principal Gail Baxter told NBC4.

Previous Stories:
July 14, 2002: 8-Year-Old Molested Before Family Killed In Whittier Home
Copyright 2002 by NBC4.tv. The Associated Press contributed to this report. .

Here's the link:

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/1558494/detail.html

Last edited:
The first house I lived in with my husband was 2 streets away from where this happened...my sister-in-law lived there for 20 years until she moved to Colorado last year. Its a very close-knit neighborhood with almost no crime.

I can't even begin to imagine what that poor family went through, especially the 8 year old. I saw a teacher's aid from her school on the news today and she was just sobbing...what else can you do when an innocent baby is raped and slaughtered? :|

This is absolutely terrible... I simply cannot read this thread without at the very least post something rather than staying quiet or raging about society... therefore, RIP... So tragic... :(

They originally said the girl had been kept alive for as long as 20 hours before she was finally killed. Dont know if they still believe this to be true or not.
There was an outburst in the courtroom today, and i think the hearing has been postponed till the 26th.

Back
Top Bottom