sick of the word "Nazi"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
someone said it a little while back -- only Nazis are Nazis, and all other comparisons are almost by definition hyperbolic. and so, such a degredation of history and hysterical reaction to the present continues:

http://www3.advocate.com/news_detail.asp?id=16122

Cardinal compares gay marriage to Nazism

Gay rights groups in Spain reacted with anger on Wednesday after a Roman Catholic cardinal compared obedience to the legalization of same-sex marriage to the process that led to the creation of Nazi death camps, Agence France-Presse reports. "If you give obedience to the law priority over obedience to your conscience, that leads to Auschwitz," Cardinal Ricard Maria Carles, former archbishop of Barcelona, told a Spanish television station.

Spanish deputies last week approved a bill allowing gays and lesbians to marry and adopt children. The bill is expected to become law and would make Spain the third European country after the Netherlands and Belgium to do so. "The people who made Auschwitz were not criminals, but people who had been forced to, or thought they had a duty to, obey the laws of the Nazi government rather than their own conscience."

The Triangulo foundation, a Spanish gay rights group, said that comparison with the Holocaust was "repugnant" and called on the church to "stop sowing hatred against victims of discrimination and against victims of the Holocaust, among whom there were many homosexuals."

Another gay rights group, Cogam, said it was "incredible that the Catholic hierarchy should reach the point where it makes a link between the parliamentarians who voted for the [gay marriage bill] and Nazism" and attacked an "unacceptable interference by a foreign state in Spanish politics."

The Vatican, in the person of Cardinal Alfonso Lopez Trujillo, president of the Pontifical Council for the Family, last week called on Spanish public service workers to show "conscientious objection" to the new legislation. Justice minister Juan Fernando Lopez Aguilar said that such an objection had no place in a law voted by the parliament. A large number of mayors and municipal councilors said this week they would not conduct marriage services for same-sex couples. But many conservative mayors of big cities, among them Alberto Ruiz Gallardon of Madrid and Rita Barbera of Valencia, said they would respect the law.

i just want to add, that i don't want this to be a gay marriage thread -- my point is to point out the overuse of Nazi comparisons (and, heck, even the Democrats have done this).

A "Nazi" isn't even a certain type of person, it's just a political party, like Republican or Democrat. Of course, the nature of THEIR party is pretty sick and twisted, but still, people need to come up with a better word...

Its an uncharitable thing to say, but its my consolation that his supposed papacy won't last long.

But yeah, the term 'nazi' is over-used, to say the least. Even, dare I say it, by high-ranking Catholic officials.

Ant.

Irvine511 said:
someone said it a little while back -- only Nazis are Nazis, and all other comparisons are almost by definition hyperbolic.

That was me! :happy: I sparked a new thread!

The pope has obviously not been reading my posts :angry:! I like how the new pope is crazy :crack:. If you allow gay people to get married....then a whole lot of people are going to get killed.....hmmm.......:confused:.......:coocoo:. I really can't even understand the "logic" in that one at all. Most of the time when someone compares someone to Nazis I can at least in SOME WAY figure out their line of thought. Wow, just wow. Well at least my one consolation is that the new pope will make for lots of great moments on The Daily Show :slant:.

Re: Re: sick of the word "Nazi"

ILuvLarryMullen said:
If you allow gay people to get married....then a whole lot of people are going to get killed.....hmmm.......:confused:.......:coocoo:. I really can't even understand the "logic" in that one at all.

There's usually not much in the way of logic with statements like those, so good luck trying to find any.

Angela

not only nazis are nazis. people who are NOT nazis are nazis as well. if youre a nazi, everyone is a nazi as well. turtles are especially cruel and vicious nazis!

it is true!:wink:

Oh look! Now the Democrats are "Nazis," according the "Honorable" Sen. Rick Santorum:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050520/ap_on_go_co/filibuster_fight

The attempt to do away with the filibuster is nothing short of clearing the trees for the confirmation of an unacceptable nominee to the Supreme Court," said Democratic leader Harry Reid. He accused the president of an attempt to "rewrite the Constitution and reinvent reality" with his demand for a yes-or-no vote on all nominees.

Countered Republican Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, "It's the equivalent of Adolf Hitler in 1942." He said Democratic protests over Republican efforts to ensure confirmation votes would be like the Nazi dictator seizing Paris and then saying, "I'm in Paris. How dare you invade me. How dare you bomb my city. It's mine."

Fucking dumbass. The Nazis were right-wingers, in case he forgot.

Melon

Hang on, so GWB wants to change a rule. The Democrats say no thanks and the Republican dude says they can't say that, and in doing so that makes them Nazi's? WTF? I don't really know the story, but isn't that the exact wrong way around?!?

Earnie Shavers said:
Hang on, so GWB wants to change a rule. The Democrats say no thanks and the Republican dude says they can't say that, and in doing so that makes them Nazi's? WTF? I don't really know the story, but isn't that the exact wrong way around?!?

Of course. The GOP has mastered Orwellian "double speak." As I see it, any criticisms they level at the Democrats are really descriptions of themselves.

Melon

Logic and rationality have almost entirely disappeard from public debate. Leaders and politicos have learned that if they can manipulate people's emotions, ie., by slapping the emotionally laden label 'Nazi' on their opponents, they can sway people to their platform without having to make sense. Even the Vatican has learned this.

But the tactic is almost as overused as the word Nazi. They've been doing it so long that most people can see through it now.

I'm sick of it too

Yes, I saw Santorum on the news :down:

It also denigrates the memory of countless Holocaust victims and survivors to use that term in any other way.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I'm sick of it too

It also denigrates the memory of countless Holocaust victims and survivors to use that term in any other way.

Right on.

I can't wait until my state replaces this schmuck next year...which, judging by the polls, looks likely. :up: Pennsylvania is a pretty moderate state, and I think plenty of average Pennsylvanians have grown weary of this weirdo.

I can't stand Santorum. He's an :censored:hole and I hope the good people of Pennsylvania take care of him as soon as he's up for re-election.

Well, at least one more "good" Pennsylvanian will be voting against Santorum--not that I'm a big fan of Casey, if he gets the nod. I'm despairing of the hope that someday I can actually vote
FOR somebody. I pull my levers (yeah, we still got those) with
some degree of nausea.

I don't understand why people like throw the Nazi label around so much. Well actually I do understand, they think that if they equate things and people to Nazi's they will get an extra rise out od people. That whole thinking is sick. And anyone, Catholic or not, equating policies of today with the Nazi regimes is just plain wrong. I don't care what point they are trying to make

The terminology IS wrong. But what should the label be for those that want to control everything and eliminate(not exactly by death) those things they determine are "immoral", "wrong", "evil", or just not to their liking?

We've learned from history that's not what makes a viable and true government. Yet we still have politicians and individuals who want to use the government for just that, so what label do we use?

MrsSpringsteen said:
I'm sick of it too

Where was this outrage from the left when Bush was being portrayed as a Nazi in last years election? :eyebrow:

I'm not pickin on you alone MrsSpringsteen, it just seems a lot of our liberal posters in here are expressing some sort of outrage when a conservative uses the word Nazi, yet I bet these are the same people didn't raise a fit when Moveon.org had their infamous bush/hitler commercial.

Btw, I agree that calling people nazi's when they haven't done anything remotely like the nazis did is denigrating to the memory of those who died under fascism. It's important to be consistent though. It's wrong when moveon.org or some liberal nut calls bush a nazi, and it's wrong when Santorum calls democrats nazis.

Last edited:
Actually Santorum's use of the word Nazi doesn't really bother me that much. People throw it around so often now, it's predictable.
No outrage here. I have other problems with Santorum. But that's not this thread (or interesting enough for any other thread.)

ImOuttaControl said:

Where was this outrage from the left when Bush was being portrayed as a Nazi in last years election? :eyebrow:

There were people who called Bush nazi and there were those that said that's a little too far, and yes some of those were liberals. So don't paint this forum with one brush.

We also had conservatives that called some of the Democratic nominees "nazi".

It goes both ways, it's a political term that's abused. Hell I've probably abused here once or twice. We all have in name or not.

Back
Top Bottom