sick of the word "Nazi" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2005, 08:09 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:42 AM
Re: Re: sick of the word "Nazi"

Quote:
Originally posted by ILuvLarryMullen
If you allow gay people to get married....then a whole lot of people are going to get killed.....hmmm............... I really can't even understand the "logic" in that one at all.
There's usually not much in the way of logic with statements like those, so good luck trying to find any.

Angela

Old 04-29-2005, 08:12 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 02:42 PM
not only nazis are nazis. people who are NOT nazis are nazis as well. if youre a nazi, everyone is a nazi as well. turtles are especially cruel and vicious nazis!

it is true!

Old 05-19-2005, 10:10 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:42 AM
Oh look! Now the Democrats are "Nazis," according the "Honorable" Sen. Rick Santorum:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...libuster_fight

Quote:
The attempt to do away with the filibuster is nothing short of clearing the trees for the confirmation of an unacceptable nominee to the Supreme Court," said Democratic leader Harry Reid. He accused the president of an attempt to "rewrite the Constitution and reinvent reality" with his demand for a yes-or-no vote on all nominees.

Countered Republican Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, "It's the equivalent of Adolf Hitler in 1942." He said Democratic protests over Republican efforts to ensure confirmation votes would be like the Nazi dictator seizing Paris and then saying, "I'm in Paris. How dare you invade me. How dare you bomb my city. It's mine."
Fucking dumbass. The Nazis were right-wingers, in case he forgot.

Melon
Old 05-19-2005, 10:20 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:42 PM
Hang on, so GWB wants to change a rule. The Democrats say no thanks and the Republican dude says they can't say that, and in doing so that makes them Nazi's? WTF? I don't really know the story, but isn't that the exact wrong way around?!?
Old 05-19-2005, 10:23 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
Hang on, so GWB wants to change a rule. The Democrats say no thanks and the Republican dude says they can't say that, and in doing so that makes them Nazi's? WTF? I don't really know the story, but isn't that the exact wrong way around?!?
Of course. The GOP has mastered Orwellian "double speak." As I see it, any criticisms they level at the Democrats are really descriptions of themselves.

Melon
Old 05-20-2005, 02:34 AM   #21
Acrobat

Logic and rationality have almost entirely disappeard from public debate. Leaders and politicos have learned that if they can manipulate people's emotions, ie., by slapping the emotionally laden label 'Nazi' on their opponents, they can sway people to their platform without having to make sense. Even the Vatican has learned this.

But the tactic is almost as overused as the word Nazi. They've been doing it so long that most people can see through it now.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:46 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I'm sick of it too

Yes, I saw Santorum on the news

It also denigrates the memory of countless Holocaust victims and survivors to use that term in any other way.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:48 AM   #23
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I'm sick of it too

It also denigrates the memory of countless Holocaust victims and survivors to use that term in any other way.
Right on.

I can't wait until my state replaces this schmuck next year...which, judging by the polls, looks likely. Pennsylvania is a pretty moderate state, and I think plenty of average Pennsylvanians have grown weary of this weirdo.

Join Amnesty.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:22 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:42 AM
I can't stand Santorum. He's an hole and I hope the good people of Pennsylvania take care of him as soon as he's up for re-election.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Well, at least one more "good" Pennsylvanian will be voting against Santorum--not that I'm a big fan of Casey, if he gets the nod. I'm despairing of the hope that someday I can actually vote
FOR somebody. I pull my levers (yeah, we still got those) with
some degree of nausea.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:01 PM   #26
The Fly

Local Time: 11:42 AM
I don't understand why people like throw the Nazi label around so much. Well actually I do understand, they think that if they equate things and people to Nazi's they will get an extra rise out od people. That whole thinking is sick. And anyone, Catholic or not, equating policies of today with the Nazi regimes is just plain wrong. I don't care what point they are trying to make
Old 05-20-2005, 08:06 PM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

The terminology IS wrong. But what should the label be for those that want to control everything and eliminate(not exactly by death) those things they determine are "immoral", "wrong", "evil", or just not to their liking?

We've learned from history that's not what makes a viable and true government. Yet we still have politicians and individuals who want to use the government for just that, so what label do we use?
Old 05-20-2005, 08:25 PM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I'm sick of it too

Where was this outrage from the left when Bush was being portrayed as a Nazi in last years election?

I'm not pickin on you alone MrsSpringsteen, it just seems a lot of our liberal posters in here are expressing some sort of outrage when a conservative uses the word Nazi, yet I bet these are the same people didn't raise a fit when Moveon.org had their infamous bush/hitler commercial.

Btw, I agree that calling people nazi's when they haven't done anything remotely like the nazis did is denigrating to the memory of those who died under fascism. It's important to be consistent though. It's wrong when moveon.org or some liberal nut calls bush a nazi, and it's wrong when Santorum calls democrats nazis.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:41 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Actually Santorum's use of the word Nazi doesn't really bother me that much. People throw it around so often now, it's predictable.
No outrage here. I have other problems with Santorum. But that's not this thread (or interesting enough for any other thread.)
Old 05-20-2005, 09:18 PM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl

Where was this outrage from the left when Bush was being portrayed as a Nazi in last years election?

There were people who called Bush nazi and there were those that said that's a little too far, and yes some of those were liberals. So don't paint this forum with one brush.

We also had conservatives that called some of the Democratic nominees "nazi".

It goes both ways, it's a political term that's abused. Hell I've probably abused here once or twice. We all have in name or not.