sick of dealing - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2005, 02:30 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 10:19 PM

Old 06-21-2005, 02:32 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling

Seriously, I hear all of ya'll who are stressing about this. My loans for my PhD will be about $30,000!
Oh but with you I don´t have a shadow of doubt that you will earn a million a year with your education in 5 years´time no worries!

Old 06-21-2005, 04:35 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know how any institution can justify charging people $30K USD per year for an undergraduate degree. It's repulsive. Now I understand many students have costs offset by scholarships, but many others will be paying it off until kingdom come.

For those reasons I would not even consider going to school in the US unless it was for a degree which would be very financially rewarding in the long run so that the loans are manageable.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:15 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
isn´t it one of the main interests of a nation/ state, that everyone can afford to study? That everyone has an equal right to education?
you'd think...
Old 06-21-2005, 05:15 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I don't know how any institution can justify charging people $30K USD per year for an undergraduate degree. It's repulsive. Now I understand many students have costs offset by scholarships, but many others will be paying it off until kingdom come.
it may be repulsive but it is increasingly becoming a standard price for many private universities and colleges around the country.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:47 PM   #36
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:19 PM
Quote:

isn´t it one of the main interests of a nation/ state, that everyone can afford to study? That everyone has an equal right to education?
You'd think...but you you'd be wrong

Antriam, indeed, well said! Folks, this is what happens when education and medicine become a comodity! Many things are best left to the market; neither of those are, however.

It's the tax cut con, guys. Free marketers have sold the line that if we cut taxes, you in the working and middle classes will do better. Cause you're saving tax money, right?

Until the health care premiums and tuition double, as mine have, and you realize you've been had. They you start to remember why societies formed *public* institutions.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:49 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

SD, are you being paid as per your PhD?

For example, in Canadian universities, if you are doing a science PhD (I'm not sure about the rates for arts), you are paid a stipend of around $20-25K/year, out of which you have to pay back tuition (around $7000 I think), so in the end, you are technically being paid (less than minimum wage, but still) while studying.

Not that it would do you much good if your tuition is $30K.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:55 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
SD, are you being paid as per your PhD?

For example, in Canadian universities, if you are doing a science PhD (I'm not sure about the rates for arts), you are paid a stipend of around $20-25K/year, out of which you have to pay back tuition (around $7000 I think), so in the end, you are technically being paid (less than minimum wage, but still) while studying.
i have never heard of anything like this in the u.s., frankly it would boggle my mind if it exists.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:30 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en

i have never heard of anything like this in the u.s., frankly it would boggle my mind if it exists.
it exists in a lot of places

My boyfriend is going for his PhD in biophysics starting in the fall, and they're paying his tuition plus a $20,000/year stipend. He got a similar offer from Boston University. Yale fully funds all their PhD students (science and arts), including a $17,000 stipend (too bad I'm going there for my master's). It's actually pretty standard for most large universities in the US, but usually only if you're there for your PhD.

and Lies, you know I sympathize with you... I'm looking at $70,000 in loans when I finish this next year.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:32 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristie

it exists in a lot of places

My boyfriend is going for his PhD in biophysics starting in the fall, and they're paying his tuition plus a $20,000/year stipend. He got a similar offer from Boston University. Yale fully funds all their PhD students (science and arts), including a $17,000 stipend (too bad I'm going there for my master's). It's actually pretty standard for most large universities in the US, but usually only if you're there for your PhD.

and Lies, you know I sympathize with you... I'm looking at $70,000 in loans when I finish this next year.
wow, that's very cool. i never knew it existed and must definitely only be for phd's.

good luck with your loans.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:41 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

In Canada, we get the same stipends for Masters as well. You get more for MSc (MS) because you are technically conducting publishable research for the university which contributes to them winning grants. You do get slightly less money than for PhD. For example, at the school I went to, it was $22K PhD and $16K for MSc students per year.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:25 AM   #42
Acrobat

My niece was an honor student four years running in high school, 4.0GPA (we're all so proud of her), she chose a smaller college over a large university, qualified for aid for low income families, she had two scholarships, and it will still take her years to pay off the remainder.

All I can say is, this is one subject that makes me a little more happy that I don't have kids....sheesh, you're just starting out in life, and you're expected to assume a huge debt before you even have a job.

Education is this country is so fucked.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:29 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:19 PM
Quote:
In Canada, we get the same stipends for Masters as well. You get more for MSc (MS) because you are technically conducting publishable research for the university which contributes to them winning grants. You do get slightly less money than for PhD. For example, at the school I went to, it was $22K PhD and $16K for MSc students per year.
i'm in alberta and a friend of mine is getting $20K+ for her MSc.

although she is still in debt from her student loan for her BSc.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:27 AM   #44
New Yorker

Not typically in my field, no, or most fields. There are programs--like the ones described above--that exist, but it's rare. AU fully funds their international service PhD students (all 8 of them LOL). In my program, like most, you compete for a assistantship. With that, I got I think $8000 a year?

One of the main problems (other than folks buying that if we cut taxes, they're better off in the long run, when we need those taxes to fund higher ed) is that most tuition decisions are made by a Board of Visitors (ya'll have those in Canada and the EU?). The are unelected, unaccountable, don't teach typically at the university or administor there, and have very little actually stake in the decisions that are made other than the college's almighty "bottom line." Universitys would be much better run if students and faculty for that matter had some mechanism of oversight or input.

Anyway....
Old 06-22-2005, 05:28 AM   #45
New Yorker

Quote:

Oh but with you I don´t have a shadow of doubt that you will earn a million a year with your education in 5 years´time no worries!

Aw, I just saw this. Thanks hon