SICK F****s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok, yes this is wrong. but are you telling me that this doesn't happen in other religions? why? because ministers in other faiths can marry?

so then what are you going to tell me? that all priests are gay? sorry, but I'm sure there are women out there who were abused by priests as well. I went to a catholic all-girls school and we had priests in our school on a normal basis. and I'm sure some of them had the same fantasies that most men have about girls in school uniforms. if women started coming out and saying they were abused by priests, do you think the media would cover it? or is gay sex more scandalous than straight sex?

as for this happening to "this degree" I would watch making a blanket statement like that. This is only a small percentage of priests. most are good but the media don't tell you about that. Most priests are not perverts.

every religion has its skeletons. don't act like the catholic faith is the only one that has problems.

sharky said:

so then what are you going to tell me? that all priests are gay? sorry, but I'm sure there are women out there who were abused by priests as well. I went to a catholic all-girls school and we had priests in our school on a normal basis. and I'm sure some of them had the same fantasies that most men have about girls in school uniforms. if women started coming out and saying they were abused by priests, do you think the media would cover it? or is gay sex more scandalous than straight sex?

This is about pedofiles, not homosexuals.

sharky said:
ok, yes this is wrong. but are you telling me that this doesn't happen in other religions? why? because ministers in other faiths can marry?

as for this happening to "this degree" I would watch making a blanket statement like that. This is only a small percentage of priests. most are good but the media don't tell you about that. Most priests are not perverts.

every religion has its skeletons. don't act like the catholic faith is the only one that has problems.

That's quite an impassioned speech Sharky, however completely irrelevant and hardly worth responding to in detail.

Note the words 'religious order'. Note that that phrase does not identify a single religion. Note that the respected news article I linked to identifies the religion, not I.

I think your post speaks more to some feelings of your own than any expressed by me or the news article.

All I gots to say is that I think its terrible all the stuff that is happening in the church and I cant believe that they have hidden it for sooooo long, makes me wonder what else they are hiding.

The problem is not limited to this church alone. Alot of churches have either a blatant or somewhat encouraged 'code of silence' in terms of having church leaders deal internally with allegations of molestation.

Some even, if the accused confesses and professes repentance, neglect to report the abuse to the authorities. Interestingly, not all of the States in the US have laws that demand that clergy report these types of crimes to the authorities.

Read this link and see what you think:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/11/11/findlaw.analysis.hamilton.church/index.html

Very disturbing.

I think letters to your elected representatives are in order.

Last edited:
hmm...this may help me clarify my earlier point. This law would not only protect the Catholic church but protect leaders of any religion in the country.

I'm glad that this abuse is being brought to light and dealt with in the Catholic church but how many children under the age of 18 -- regardless of gender -- have been abused? and how many people have been abused by leaders of non-Catholic churches?

sorry for the ignorance but can someone point out how other religious denominations deal with sexual abuse by their leaders? or is the catholic church -- albeit late -- the only religious order dealing with this issue?

There was a large segment of Wednesday's program The Fifth Estate (prob one of the most respected nightly news journal in Canada) and also a few months back a full Dateline episode dealing with the problem as it occurs in the Jehovah's Witness faith.

Don't worry, there will be other religions exposed now that victims everywhere are wisening up to the fact that, when abused, the first person you should turn to is not your priest/pastor/clergyperson/whatever, but THE POLICE.

Im not sure what your question 'how many under the age of 18' is saying. By far the vast majority of the cases are referring to minors, thats why its a CRIME, not simply a church matter to be dealt with quietly.

I'd like to say something.

I dont like to respond to many of these posts because it doesnt sit well with me. I was molested when i was younger and just by conicedence my g/f was as well! We have talked very long about this and i have come to some conclusions.

First off people have been molested. No question in my mind. Now i think the total in that article was 471 have come forward in Boston alone. Well bluntley, i dont buy that number. I would think 50% of people are lying or embelishing their claims, because the big $ is involved. I have worked with many people who have been molested and many make it out to be worse then it was. I worked with a large amount of people in eastern canada a few years ago and many were found to put claims ahead because the gov't was handing out money.

Secondly, the money these people want makes me mad!! I have meet a good few people who have had this done to them. I for one have never thought about money. Money wouldnt make me feel less violated. It angers me that these people want a hand-out. Listen put these fuckers in jail. Why must you take 100,000 and take a vacatian. What is that gonna make you fell better? Our maybe a new car. FUCK!!

I dont know, the person who molested me and the person who molested my g/f have never been brought to justice and noone knows about it. But the last thing i want is MONEY!!!

gabrielvox said:
There was a large segment of Wednesday's program The Fifth Estate (prob one of the most respected nightly news journal in Canada) and also a few months back a full Dateline episode dealing with the problem as it occurs in the Jehovah's Witness faith.

Don't worry, there will be other religions exposed now that victims everywhere are wisening up to the fact that, when abused, the first person you should turn to is not your priest/pastor/clergyperson/whatever, but THE POLICE.

Im not sure what your question 'how many under the age of 18' is saying. By far the vast majority of the cases are referring to minors, thats why its a CRIME, not simply a church matter to be dealt with quietly.

This problem certainly isn't unique to religious organizations. I remember a while back that there was quite an uproar about youth hockey players in Canada being molested by their coaches. I'd bet this sort of thing has happened in the Boy Scouts of America as well.

I really emphathize with your thoughts Bonoman, and agree that the money can be a motive for lying and in that aspect if anyone lies about it that complicates the issue.

There are always tag-alongers who want a free ride off of someone else's pain and suffering.

Not like I want to diminish your viewpoint or experience at all, but I'd like to gently steer this back to the main point of bringing it up, that in most religions there seems to exist a system of either protecting clergymen who perpetuate these crimes, or quietly sweeping the crimes of parishoners under the rug. Many detectives have testified that they have been unable to obtain witness statments from church leaders who know about it.

And what is worse, the law seems to protect this abhorrent policy.

Two things about churches:

- a church is supposed to be a safe haven for the abused and for the downtrodden. That is the last place that one would expect to be taken advantage of.

- secondly, churches are supposed to follow a moral code that is ABOVE man's secular laws. These churches in particular have now had to backpedal and say 'oh we've reviewed our policy as a result of consultation with authorities and will act differently in the future' - like WTF??? Did you need to ask the authorities how to handle CRIMES against children???

speedracer said:

This problem certainly isn't unique to religious organizations. I remember a while back that there was quite an uproar about youth hockey players in Canada being molested by their coaches. I'd bet this sort of thing has happened in the Boy Scouts of America as well.

VERY true Speedracer, and actually your highlighting this fact highlights an interesting comparison.

In secular or recreational organizations, their code of ethics usually states that an form of illegal activity or abuse will be duly reported to the authorities and encourages parents and children to report any attempts at this immediately to authorities. If a superior administrator discovers that one of the leaders or coaches has abused a child, he or she generally doesn't seek to deal with the matter internally, but brings in the proper authorities to deal with the matter legally. If a coach or leader is approached by a youngster who complains of abuse at home or if they notice abuse, he or she doesn't phone the parents and try to deal with it quietly, child welfare authorities are summoned.

Contrast that with the way it has been revealed how *some* church officials deal with these types of allegations and it becomes very troubling indeed. If a archbishop (for sake of argument) hears that a priest has abused a child, the trend has been to deal with it within the church. In the case of the other church noted, if a child complains of abuse at the hands of a parent or church member, and that individual flat out denies it, the child is not believed and the abuser gets off scot free. In neither example are the police involved and in neither case does anything happen but the child continuning to be vicitimized. In some extreme cases the child is even ostracized or punished by the church for even levelling the allegation in the first place.

Its a mess, really.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom