Shut up and Sing - Documentary about Dixie Chicks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Anyone seen this movie yet?

I am really interested in seeing this film. At the time, people felt they were being rational in responding by destroying cds and boycotts, etc. The excerpts of the reactions are stunning especially considering it was just a few words.

This will probably get bumped to Zoo Station but it is a political doc so I figured I would start here first.

Just in case anyone is curious as to where I stand on this issue, I am ashamed that Stephen Harper is from Canada. ( Stephen Harper is our President, well, Prime Minister but he thinks he is a President):wink:

I don't plan on seeing it. Don't like there music at all. There doing this for attention since the can't sell out a concert or go platinum.

Why don't you like Stephen Harper?? You don't like a little bit of Change?

trevster2k said:
I am ashamed that Stephen Harper is from Canada.

This buffoon seems serious about passing a Defence of Religion Act. It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. That's why we have the bloody Charter, you dumb, pandering idiot!

We need our neighbours to the south to kick out the Republicans post haste. Harper will be soon to follow. The leaderless Liberals are already polling even and he hasn't even been a terrible PM thus far. Lame.

Re: Re: Shut up and Sing - Documentary about Dixie Chicks

anitram said:

This buffoon seems serious about passing a Defence of Religion Act. It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. That's why we have the bloody Charter, you dumb, pandering idiot!

We need our neighbours to the south to kick out the Republicans post haste. Harper will be soon to follow. The leaderless Liberals are already polling even and he hasn't even been a terrible PM thus far. Lame.

What I dont get is you call him a Buffoon but yet you don't think he is a Terrible PM so far?

Sigh.

He is a buffoon because he wants to pass an act which there is no use for because what he wants to elucidate in it is already a Charter right. I don't know if you're familiar wtih our Charter rights at all, but in any case, there is no reason to pass this ridiculous act except to pander to the right. And the reason he's doing it is because he doesn't want to put forth the vote on gay marriage (which btw he promised during the election and will not deliver on) because he knows it will be an embarrassment for him and his party since we up here in Canada don't think we're about to disintegrate into some sort of 9th circle of hell just because our Supreme Court believees it is unconstitutional to deny homosexuals full rights under the law.

Has he been terrible? No. But he's been bad. And his government will be brought down in less than 12 months, that you can quote me on. Either on this Defence of Religion Act or on the budget in the spring.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
One of the dumbest "protest" in history...

I agree especially in hindsight. But it should be an interesting view to see their side of the events, I mean bomb sniffing dogs and death threats, legislative representatives condemning their concerts, just craziness.

The only Dixie Chicks CD I ever bought is their latest one. I figured it was the least I could do.

Of course those protesting the Dixie Chicks comments had every right to do so as much as the Chicks did in saying them, but shit, what a petty and immature way to completely overreact. Only one side came out of that looking like complete idiots.

Alison Krauss! :heart:

I really love the Dixie Chicks' music ("Home" is AMAZING), and am looking forward to seeing the documentary.

I can't believe the level some of their detractors took their protests to. Death threats? I saw a clip of the movie somewhere on TV and heard someone call them "Communists." To that, all I can say is :huh:

the crowd when absolutely mental when they played "not ready to make nice," which remains one of the very best songs of 2006.

Yes it was all so ridiculous, but at the same time how long are they going to live off of that? Sure seems to me they are dragging it out for some purpose. The other two are quite articulate, but that Natalie just bugs me for some reason.

NBC won't air the ads for the movie so now they are all up in arms over that. Honestly I don't think I'd have any interest in seeing that movie.

Justin24 said:

Why don't you like Stephen Harper?? You don't like a little bit of Change?

That's like the Marxist-Leninist Party winning both the House and Senate and Presidency in the US, and then me saying to you "You don't like a little bit of change?"

There's a little more to the issue than this.

I'd like to see this. I'm not a big fan of the Dixie Chicks, but I thought the reaction to Natalie's protest statement was absolutely ridiculous. Don't singers have First Amendment rights?

verte76 said:
Don't singers have First Amendment rights?

Yes, they do. And so do the people that decided to boycott them.

I was strongly against the death threats - but I don't mind people "voting" with their dollar.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
One of the dumbest "protest" in history...

I currently live in the armpit of VA, where most of the radio stations are country music. After the Dixie Chicks voiced their opinions (God forbid artists get to express themselves), there were actually people calling into the radio stations, requesting that their music not be played. The phones were ringing off the hook. I mean really, just turn the radio off if you don't wanna hear it!

trevster2k said:
Anyone seen this movie yet?

I am really interested in seeing this film. At the time, people felt they were being rational in responding by destroying cds and boycotts, etc. The excerpts of the reactions are stunning especially considering it was just a few words.

Not really a fan of country music, but I greatly admire the Chicks. They've got spunk.

"It turned my whole world around and I kind of like it." That's the best lyric of the year, as far as I'm concerned.

trevster2k said:
Just in case anyone is curious as to where I stand on this issue, I am ashamed that Stephen Harper is from Canada. ( Stephen Harper is our President, well, Prime Minister but he thinks he is a President):wink:

IT'S THE ENVIRONMENT, STUPID!

We need to seriously get on his case with that one before we all melt and spot banana trees growing in the backyard.

Back
Top Bottom