Shove It - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2004, 09:02 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thrillme
So why did Bono get in trouble, he didn't tell anyone to go f*ck themself, or shove it, just that getting an award was more than brilliant.

Ah so if Bono were an elected official, it'd be okay to swear.
no,

bono was broadcast on public airwaves when he spoke. the fcc, as appointed arbiter of those airwaves, is responsible for their regulations being followed.

agree with the fcc's actions or not, that is the rationale. if dick cheney tells anyone to f anything at the republican convention while it is broadcast, precedent states the fcc would be involved. whether that would ever be the case...

Old 08-05-2004, 12:31 PM   #17
Refugee

I agree with what you said indra. It's nice to see that he stands behind her no matter what.

Old 08-05-2004, 01:11 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JessicaAnn
"Shove it" ... "Go f*** yourself" ... my goodness people.

Who among us hasn't said these things in the midst of a heated discussion at one time or another.

Heaven forbid in a time when candidates (and their spouses and their children) are armed with talking points that they have one moment of humanity.

Unless lack of poise becomes a consistent problem, I think that a minor outbursts like this amount to a whole lot of nothing.
Agreed.

Also, thrillme, personally, I don't think Bono should've gotten flak for his words, either. I think this constant freak out people in this country have over these kinds of slip ups from anybody, famous or not, elected official or not, is ridiculous and hypocritical, because, as JessicaAnn said, we're all guilty of this kind of thing, so none of us have any high horse to stand on.

Angela
Old 08-05-2004, 01:42 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:32 PM
I think we are missing the issue by focusing on the "offensive" response. To me, the issue is whether one who injects themselves into a campaign should reasonably be expected to explain their statements.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:36 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
To me, the issue is whether one who injects themselves into a campaign should reasonably be expected to explain their statements.
yes they should.

i am not intimately aware of the situation but is her defense not that the reporter doing the questioning, in her opinion and supposedly based on past experiences, had no intention at all of being fair to her?

if so, then i guess ones evaluation would, in part, have to consider the journalist and their intentions. while those running for public office should be expected to argue their position, im of the opinion extreme cases can exist where no reasonable discourse will occur and, if so, a person could remove themselves-or get really pissed off.