Shove It

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found this quote interesting.

The Tribune-Review (Click for QuikCap), owned by Richard Mellon Scaife, was often accused last week of being a right-wing "rag," McNickle complained in a Sunday column, and this was "vomited repeatedly by liberal media elitists."

I watched, listened to and read many accounts of the issues in the hopes that the "liberal" media would report that the paper was owned by Scaife, and that they would mention its right-wing slant, or its history of criticizing the Heinz Foundation. I never saw it. Most of the meida just let Mrs. Heinz-Kerry's remarks just stand alone, with absolutely no context whatsoever.

Klaus, the editor made a remark about the shady business dealings of a company she used to run and still owns stock in, and she told him to go f:censored: himself.

No wait, that was someone else.

I'm looking. I'llk post an article when I find it.

Then, despite taped versions of her remarks, she repeatedly denied she had said the word, "un-American."

So, instead of explaining why she used the term, she created a sensation with her curt remark.

I hope she doesn't become the arbiter of what is American and what is un-American.

She might not behave in what is considered an "appropriate" manner, but I like that's she's not some cookie cutter political spouse. I wonder if a HUSBAND of a candidate was as outspoken as she is, if he would be criticized in such a way :eyebrow: And by the way, she also gave an interview in which she praised Laura Bush for the way she has handled being First Lady.

MILWAUKEE (AP) - Teresa Heinz Kerry, the outspoken wife of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry, told a rally exactly what she thinks of the prospect of a second Bush term.

With a Bush supporter chanting ``Four more years! Four more years!'' through a bullhorn from the back of a park Monday evening, the candidate's wife stopped herself to respond. ``They want four more years of hell,'' Heinz Kerry said.

The pro-Kerry crowd erupted in applause and began its own chant: ``Three more months! Three more months.''

Heinz Kerry quieted the audience so she could continue her remarks, which touched on her life, her husband and the importance of getting involved in political causes.

Kerry gave her a long hug and a big smile when she finished.

``She speaks her mind, and she speaks the truth, and she's pretty quick on her feet, too,'' Kerry said.

The Bush supporter didn't back down.

``Bush, Cheney! Bush, Cheney!'' he said as Kerry started to speak.

I think saying "shove it" is far more innocent than an elected official telling another elected official to "f**k off"

just my 2 cents.

:up: LMPopAngel

also..

The reporter's employer, a certain Richard Scaife, once called a reporter a "fucking Communist cunt" when she asked him why he contributed so much to Republican causes, then threw "ugly" and "terrible" on top of the pile.

Amazing. The road still goes both ways. -Feministe.us

So, yeah. At least she didn't degrade the reporter as that newspaper has done to others.

Plus, like Mrs. S. said, I like that she can speak her mind. Nevermind the fact there is history between them, and this wasn't some random innocent person interviewing her.

"Shove it" ... "Go f*** yourself" ... my goodness people.

Who among us hasn't said these things in the midst of a heated discussion at one time or another.

Heaven forbid in a time when candidates (and their spouses and their children) are armed with talking points that they have one moment of humanity.

Unless lack of poise becomes a consistent problem, I think that a minor outbursts like this amount to a whole lot of nothing.

What I love about her comment is that John Kerry let it stand. I admire that he has enough respect for her not to either make her apologise (I'm not sure he could anyway) or to say "oh, that isn't what she meant."

So why did Bono get in trouble, he didn't tell anyone to go f*ck themself, or shove it, just that getting an award was more than brilliant.

Ah so if Bono were an elected official, it'd be okay to swear. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
thrillme said:
So why did Bono get in trouble, he didn't tell anyone to go f*ck themself, or shove it, just that getting an award was more than brilliant.

Ah so if Bono were an elected official, it'd be okay to swear. :rolleyes:

no,

bono was broadcast on public airwaves when he spoke. the fcc, as appointed arbiter of those airwaves, is responsible for their regulations being followed.

agree with the fcc's actions or not, that is the rationale. if dick cheney tells anyone to f anything at the republican convention while it is broadcast, precedent states the fcc would be involved. whether that would ever be the case...

JessicaAnn said:
"Shove it" ... "Go f*** yourself" ... my goodness people.

Who among us hasn't said these things in the midst of a heated discussion at one time or another.

Heaven forbid in a time when candidates (and their spouses and their children) are armed with talking points that they have one moment of humanity.

Unless lack of poise becomes a consistent problem, I think that a minor outbursts like this amount to a whole lot of nothing.

Agreed.

Also, thrillme, personally, I don't think Bono should've gotten flak for his words, either. I think this constant freak out people in this country have over these kinds of slip ups from anybody, famous or not, elected official or not, is ridiculous and hypocritical, because, as JessicaAnn said, we're all guilty of this kind of thing, so none of us have any high horse to stand on.

Angela

I think we are missing the issue by focusing on the "offensive" response. To me, the issue is whether one who injects themselves into a campaign should reasonably be expected to explain their statements.

nbcrusader said:
To me, the issue is whether one who injects themselves into a campaign should reasonably be expected to explain their statements.

yes they should.

i am not intimately aware of the situation but is her defense not that the reporter doing the questioning, in her opinion and supposedly based on past experiences, had no intention at all of being fair to her?

if so, then i guess ones evaluation would, in part, have to consider the journalist and their intentions. while those running for public office should be expected to argue their position, im of the opinion extreme cases can exist where no reasonable discourse will occur and, if so, a person could remove themselves-or get really pissed off.

Back
Top Bottom