Should we?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Since the immigration is always a hot subject.

I my self am in strong agreement to secure our border which all countries do better than us, no suprise there.

Now first thing is first it is the job of the President and Congress to protect it's citizens, which means protecting the borders and following the law of the land.

People who come illegal on container ships are comminting the same crime Latin Americans or Canadians do from the Northern and Southern Border. They also break the law by stealing someones idenity with a Social Security Card. Which yes the money goes towards our system and they dont get anything in return.

Now when I go to another country I make sure I learn some of the language and customs when I visit. What really irks me is when illegal immigrants do not and we have to have multiple signs and recordings in different languages. When I go to guatemala everything is in spanish except for government buildings and airports. So that means we must spend extra money which could have gone to something more useful. We have hospitals down in the border states close down because of unpaid hospital bills from illegal immigrants.

Wages go down because our new slaves who will work for pretty much nothing take jobs away. Insurance goes up, in medical and vehical.

They demand the same rights as citizens of this country, when there are people who went through the proper channels to get that right.

They call groups such as the minute men white devils because they have the courage to do what the government should have done in the first place and that is securing the border. But most politicians are falling for people who are not citizens and want to make them citizens quickly so they can serve more terms. If we grant Amnesty for those here now, then I would like to see a major withdraw from Iraq so then they can place them along the border and stop the flow of illegal drugs, criminals and possible terrorists.

LOL. I kind got caught up in it. Should we have to spend our tax money for signs in different languages to accomidate when in many latin american countries and other countries they dont?

I would also like you opinion in the other stuff I wrote.

Justin24 said:
LOL. I kind got caught up in it. Should we have to spend our tax money for signs in different languages to accomidate when in many latin american countries and other countries they dont?

I would also like you opinion in the other stuff I wrote.

Many countries have multilingual signage. We are not the only ones, ever been to Europe?

Practically every sign in Turkish museums and other cultural institutions is bilingual. There is even a huge "Welcome to Istanbul" sign in Istanbul that is strictly in English, there's no Turkish on that sign!

Justin24 said:
Wages go down because our new slaves who will work for pretty much nothing take jobs away. Insurance goes up, in medical and vehical.

They demand the same rights as citizens of this country, when there are people who went through the proper channels to get that right.

They call groups such as the minute men white devils because they have the courage to do what the government should have done in the first place and that is securing the border. But most politicians are falling for people who are not citizens and want to make them citizens quickly so they can serve more terms. If we grant Amnesty for those here now, then I would like to see a major withdraw from Iraq so then they can place them along the border and stop the flow of illegal drugs, criminals and possible terrorists.

yes they are quite courageous and great human beings

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o8buTOWjAD4

I have been to Germany and Italy. Don't you think they should put effort into learning the language? When I saw that show "30 Days" The family they followed around had been in the US for over 12 years and the only person in the family that spoke english was there daughter? What are your opinions on the other statements I wrote?

Re: Re: Should we?

Mofo said:

yes they are quite courageous and great human beings

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o8buTOWjAD4
Those people are a small minority of extremists and thats for a different topic and please dont tell me that hispanic people dont act that way either. A video I saw showed a hispanic woman call a anti-illegal immigrant who was standing with a sign a White Devil. He replys who is the racist now and she claimed she did not make a racial remark?

well... here, in colombia, a second language teaching (english or french) is obligatory, even in the smallest and poorest schools. it is quite ironic, cuz maybe the 70% or more of the kids who learn a second language will never have the oportunity to travel out of the country. It is kinda of ironic, isn't it?, why do we have to learn a second language that maybe we will never practice, while others doesn't have any respect or consideration with ours. using signs in spanish or other languages other than english, doesn't mean that people doesn't have to learn the principal language of a country, it mean that theres respect to diversity.

True, it's been debated here alot about English only. I just wanted some opinions.

Every product and sign in Canada is in both French and English. Every government service is in French / English along with public television and radio. Most Canadians aren't bilingual even though the country is officially bilingual. We do study French in school though most of us don't get a fundamental grasp of the language. I think the US is going to have to address the bilingualism issue regarding Spanish and English sometime this century. In the Northwest Territories and Nunavut, Inuktitut is recognized as an official language too. Those people have been in Canada longer than anyone and no has forced them to learn the language. For a while, my phone bills were in English and Inuktitut as my phone company is based in Whitehorse, NWT.

There are places in Canada in the major cities like Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver where you can live your whole life without learning English. Doesn't bother me in the least.

I just think it's a bit sad for anyone to get so bent-out-of-shape over having to have multilingual signs.

If that is one's most pressing problems then you've got a pretty easy life.

Everything goes both ways. I dont want to start an argumentative debate just our views on this subject matter. And what about when you go to a store or your walking in the streets and get lost and you ask someone and they only speak spanish and dont know what your talking about. Do you think they should learn some english to get by with out the help of family members.

I am not trying to be rude. But many times when I have gone to a store. I asked them a question or wanted to place and order and they would look at me confused and then call a co-worker in spanish to come and help. I think tell her/him in spanish what I want. What if there was no co-worker who could speak english that day?

Last edited:
Justin24 said:
Everything goes both ways. I dont want to start an argumentative debate just our views on this subject matter.

Yes but you bring up that one "white devil" story quite a bit and you seem to ignore the other side.

As what's been pointed out to you we're not even close to being the only country. Doesn't that strike you as a bit odd?

I know that there are some bad minutemen I am sure things have been said by them to make people think of them as a hate group. I don't see them with signs saying "Spick get out??" do you?

Your last sentence can you explain that a little better please. My Dyslex brain is fucking up again. :)

Justin24 said:
I don't see them with signs saying "Spick get out??" do you?

I may not see signs, but I hear we have enough spicks in this country or they are trying to take over ALL THE TIME.

Justin24 said:

Your last sentence can you explain that a little better please. My Dyslex brain is fucking up again. :)

I'm just saying don't you find it just a little bit interesting that so many other countries function under different languages, yet our country, the country that is supposibly the melting pot makes it a political point? You don't see a hint of hypocricy or racism?

Well yes we are a "melting pot" and I don't mind hearing people speak other languages, but when it comes to business and you have someone who can't help you because they can't speak the language isn't that a problem?

But how is asking them to learn the primary language racist. We not saying you can't continue to speak spanish, chinese, Korean, Italian etc..

Last edited:
It might be easier for the US to accept it is growing to such an hispanic component that US borns should learn 'their' language. Really, if there are so many hispanic folk moving into the US, then adopt as much of their life as you demand they do of yours. It's how the native folk all felt when settlers took over, you know.

Angela Harlem said:
It might be easier for the US to accept it is growing to such an hispanic component that US borns should learn 'their' language. Really, if there are so many hispanic folk moving into the US, then adopt as much of their life as you demand they do of yours.

Wow, that is quite a statement. Literally millions of these folks are here *illegally*. Many Americans think we have already done plenty to accomodate them.

English is already the language of the world. What more do you want? It's everywhere. I've traveled all over the world. . .Asia, Europe, and yes, even Mexico, and I've never been anywhere yet where many if not most signs had English lettering as well the official language of that country.

In every country I've visited I can almost always find someone who speaks English. In general, I find most non-English speaking people eager to learn English.

On the other hand many Americans are embarrassingly ignorant about the rest of the world and very few seem interested in learning another language besides English. Even when traveling in other countries I've encountered American tourists who can't be bothered to learn even the most basic phrases in other languages and some even have the gall to complain about how people IN their OWN countries don't speak English.

And I'd wager that most Americans who complain about how immigrants don't hurry up and learn English have no idea how difficult learning a new language might be, not having ever bothered to do so themselves. In fact I think you'd be hard pressed to find an American who speaks a language other than English who is all worked up over the issue of immigrants learning English.

maycocksean said:
English is already the language of the world. What more do you want? It's everywhere. I've traveled all over the world. . .Asia, Europe, and yes, even Mexico, and I've never been anywhere yet where many if not most signs had English lettering as well the official language of that country.

In every country I've visited I can almost always find someone who speaks English. In general, I find most non-English speaking people eager to learn English.

On the other hand many Americans are embarrassingly ignorant about the rest of the world and very few seem interested in learning another language besides English. Even when traveling in other countries I've encountered American tourists who can't be bothered to learn even the most basic phrases in other languages and some even have the gall to complain about how people IN their OWN countries don't speak English.

And I'd wager that most Americans who complain about how immigrants don't hurry up and learn English have no idea how difficult learning a new language might be, not having ever bothered to do so themselves. In fact I think you'd be hard pressed to find an American who speaks a language other than English who is all worked up over the issue of immigrants learning English.

:yes:

besides, Legal or illegal, human movilizations from any cultural group are inevitable, and it has consequences in the evolution of lenguage...

Last edited:
maycocksean said:
.And I'd wager that most Americans who complain about how immigrants don't hurry up and learn English have no idea how difficult learning a new language might be, not having ever bothered to do so themselves. In fact I think you'd be hard pressed to find an American who speaks a language other than English who is all worked up over the issue of immigrants learning English.

I agree with you, some people tend to forget that illegal immigrants are usually the poorest people of their countries, so they don't have the economic or cultural means to know how to apply legal citizenship much less the means to learn a new language

Mofo said:

I agree with you, some people tend to forget that illegal immigrants are usually the poorest people of their countries, so they don't have the economic or cultural means to know how to apply legal citizenship much less the means to learn a new language

How about Effort. I dont think it's about class. We have friend who immigrated to this country and they were very poor and they strived to learn the language and now two of there children graduated from UC Berkley and there mother is a successful business woman. I think it's more of effort than class.

Good for them, but that's one example in thousands, I just renewed my american visa last month, now I had no problems because I travel constantly and it's my 3rd visa but do you have any idea how many people the US rejects? it's not easy to apply for a tourist visa, much less a working visa.

Add to that the fact that to get a meeting to apply for your visa costs a little over 100 bucks with no guarantees, and we are talking about desperate men and women usually with kids, no job, no real education, believe me people with college degrees don't go illegally to the US.

I forgot to add should this be your problem, definetly not, the mexican goverment should do more it's fool of corruption that over the past 10 years it's been decreasing thanks to the media, If building the wall will make you feel safer good for you I'm actually not against it, I think it's stupid and it won't acomplish a lot besides alienating yourselves more from the world

Last edited:
Mofo I have a question for you. In mexico isn't Primary education free? And a friend of mine who lived in Mexico said the Mexico's largest Univesity is Free also or am I mistaken. If that is true then why don't the poor families send there children there to receive and education?

yes but poor people tend to work rather than go to college, and poor parents tend to send their kids to work in places like supermarkets, the streets, wherever they can to help with money which is definitley wrong not only do they expose their children to danger but they limit their education a lot.

Thats True. But can you understand some US citizens who get frustrated when they see there government does nothing to secure the borders? Isn't that there job to protect it's citizens and to enforce the law which is not being applied because they want more votes??

I haven't taken Spanish since third grade because I chose a different second language path, and I hardly know any, but I really have no problem with more signs and such being in Spanish. It's not like we're going to be replacing English signs with Spanish. It's no threat to the English language, which many have pointed out is automatically taught to most kids in other countries. In Tanzania, public secondary schooling is taught exclusively in English.

I'd much rather have my tax dollars go towards something with more inclusive goals rather than exclusive goals. Signs and such in multiple languages not only accomodates those who ARE US citizens who do not speak English as a first language, but subconsciously encourages others to be more accomodating.

I've never understood the "why can't they just learn English?" arguement. Who cares? If Hispanics can get by without it, fine. Many Hispanics live in communities where all of their friends, relatives, and employers speak Spanish, so why WOULD they waste time and money for schooling to learn English? And why would I care to force them? If anything, I think white middle class America should be learning more Spanish. In fact, Spanish is now mandatory in the school system I grew up in. I regret that they didn't start this program until after I graduated. I don't regret choosing Germanic languages over Spanish, but it would've been nice to have a passable understanding of Spanish. Now all the kids are spending as much time learning Spanish as they are doing math, history, and English lit, and I've never heard any child or parents complain about it.

Back
Top Bottom