Should we? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:18 AM
Should we?

Since the immigration is always a hot subject.

I my self am in strong agreement to secure our border which all countries do better than us, no suprise there.

Now first thing is first it is the job of the President and Congress to protect it's citizens, which means protecting the borders and following the law of the land.

People who come illegal on container ships are comminting the same crime Latin Americans or Canadians do from the Northern and Southern Border. They also break the law by stealing someones idenity with a Social Security Card. Which yes the money goes towards our system and they dont get anything in return.

Now when I go to another country I make sure I learn some of the language and customs when I visit. What really irks me is when illegal immigrants do not and we have to have multiple signs and recordings in different languages. When I go to guatemala everything is in spanish except for government buildings and airports. So that means we must spend extra money which could have gone to something more useful. We have hospitals down in the border states close down because of unpaid hospital bills from illegal immigrants.

Wages go down because our new slaves who will work for pretty much nothing take jobs away. Insurance goes up, in medical and vehical.

They demand the same rights as citizens of this country, when there are people who went through the proper channels to get that right.

They call groups such as the minute men white devils because they have the courage to do what the government should have done in the first place and that is securing the border. But most politicians are falling for people who are not citizens and want to make them citizens quickly so they can serve more terms. If we grant Amnesty for those here now, then I would like to see a major withdraw from Iraq so then they can place them along the border and stop the flow of illegal drugs, criminals and possible terrorists.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:18 AM
Wow there's like 7 different issues in that post, none of which really finish the question..."should we" what?

Old 09-26-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

LOL. I kind got caught up in it. Should we have to spend our tax money for signs in different languages to accomidate when in many latin american countries and other countries they dont?

I would also like you opinion in the other stuff I wrote.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:40 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
LOL. I kind got caught up in it. Should we have to spend our tax money for signs in different languages to accomidate when in many latin american countries and other countries they dont?

I would also like you opinion in the other stuff I wrote.
Many countries have multilingual signage. We are not the only ones, ever been to Europe?
Old 09-26-2006, 06:52 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:18 AM
I'm cool with English only.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:53 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:18 AM
Practically every sign in Turkish museums and other cultural institutions is bilingual. There is even a huge "Welcome to Istanbul" sign in Istanbul that is strictly in English, there's no Turkish on that sign!
Old 09-26-2006, 07:01 PM   #7
Refugee

Re: Should we?

Quote:
Wages go down because our new slaves who will work for pretty much nothing take jobs away. Insurance goes up, in medical and vehical.

They demand the same rights as citizens of this country, when there are people who went through the proper channels to get that right.

They call groups such as the minute men white devils because they have the courage to do what the government should have done in the first place and that is securing the border. But most politicians are falling for people who are not citizens and want to make them citizens quickly so they can serve more terms. If we grant Amnesty for those here now, then I would like to see a major withdraw from Iraq so then they can place them along the border and stop the flow of illegal drugs, criminals and possible terrorists.
yes they are quite courageous and great human beings

Old 09-26-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I have been to Germany and Italy. Don't you think they should put effort into learning the language? When I saw that show "30 Days" The family they followed around had been in the US for over 12 years and the only person in the family that spoke english was there daughter? What are your opinions on the other statements I wrote?
Old 09-26-2006, 07:04 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Re: Re: Should we?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mofo

yes they are quite courageous and great human beings

Old 09-26-2006, 07:10 PM   #10
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Local Time: 05:18 AM
well... here, in colombia, a second language teaching (english or french) is obligatory, even in the smallest and poorest schools. it is quite ironic, cuz maybe the 70% or more of the kids who learn a second language will never have the oportunity to travel out of the country. It is kinda of ironic, isn't it?, why do we have to learn a second language that maybe we will never practice, while others doesn't have any respect or consideration with ours. using signs in spanish or other languages other than english, doesn't mean that people doesn't have to learn the principal language of a country, it mean that theres respect to diversity.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:12 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

True, it's been debated here alot about English only. I just wanted some opinions.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:16 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:48 AM
Every product and sign in Canada is in both French and English. Every government service is in French / English along with public television and radio. Most Canadians aren't bilingual even though the country is officially bilingual. We do study French in school though most of us don't get a fundamental grasp of the language. I think the US is going to have to address the bilingualism issue regarding Spanish and English sometime this century. In the Northwest Territories and Nunavut, Inuktitut is recognized as an official language too. Those people have been in Canada longer than anyone and no has forced them to learn the language. For a while, my phone bills were in English and Inuktitut as my phone company is based in Whitehorse, NWT.

There are places in Canada in the major cities like Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver where you can live your whole life without learning English. Doesn't bother me in the least.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 09:18 PM
I just think it's a bit sad for anyone to get so bent-out-of-shape over having to have multilingual signs.

If that is one's most pressing problems then you've got a pretty easy life.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Re: Should we?

Quote:

please dont tell me that hispanic people dont act that way either.
Justin, that goes both ways, don't think it doesn't.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:18 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Everything goes both ways. I dont want to start an argumentative debate just our views on this subject matter. And what about when you go to a store or your walking in the streets and get lost and you ask someone and they only speak spanish and dont know what your talking about. Do you think they should learn some english to get by with out the help of family members.

I am not trying to be rude. But many times when I have gone to a store. I asked them a question or wanted to place and order and they would look at me confused and then call a co-worker in spanish to come and help. I think tell her/him in spanish what I want. What if there was no co-worker who could speak english that day?