Should we? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2006, 03:20 PM   #76
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
I have given an example earlier where it was an inconvinience. I finally had to speak to her in spanish. But what if it was some one else?
You mean the store?

Well that's probably a very rare case, for I now live in a majority Hispanic city in Texas and never have I once ever walked into a place that didn't speak English.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:07 AM
Well texas and california are different.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #78
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I am all for helping them learn english, and I am all for them keeping there native language. Those signs should be more for tourist purposes.
See now you are clouding the issue once again. You first say you don't want your taxes to pay for, but now it's fine if it's for tourists? What's the difference?

I think you really need to define the core of your personal issue with all of this.
Quote:

When you and other say they pay taxes especially into the Social Security System are they using a fake or stolen SS#? Isn't that ID theft?

no one has answered my other questions that I have asked for in the begining.
Once again this and most of your other questions are clouding the issue. ID theft is ID theft it doesn't matter by who, so really this has nothing to do with it...
Old 09-27-2006, 03:25 PM   #79
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Well texas and california are different.
So you honestly walk into a lot of restaurants and stores and can't find service?
Old 09-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #80
Refugee

Local Time: 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I don't think it's right or fair to require people who are already trying to overcome economic hardship to learn a second language without providing any tax dollars to establish programs to do so, simply because it makes life more convenient for ME.
I think that's fine if it's a component of a controlled immigration program. One where a net benefit to society can be demonstrated by alternative methods.

But allowing immigration without such a basic requirement to learn the language prevents social integration to any degree.

But I think Justin's first post referred primarily to illegal immigration. I feel no obligation to provide financial support to someone that has bypassed all the legal channels.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:31 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

So you honestly walk into a lot of restaurants and stores and can't find service?
You can but some times they will call over someone who speaks english.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:33 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

What's the difference?

Once again this and most of your other questions are clouding the issue. ID theft is ID theft it doesn't matter by who, so really this has nothing to do with it...
The difference is Tourists are here temporary.

Yes but a person who is here illegally can ruin your credit and flee back hom or deny it was him, because he has no identity here in the first place.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:41 PM   #83
Refugee

Quote:

Yes but a person who is here illegally can ruin your credit and flee back hom or deny it was him, because he has no identity here in the first place.
Not really a sound argument to substantiate your view. Anyone can ruin your credit, flee home and deny it. An illegal immigrant, legal immigrant, a tourist or even your mother.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:47 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Ok I will take it back. But for them to have it in the first place is absurd.

What you said earlier about how the British enforce there immigration policy is something the US should look into. We have every right like all the other countries of the world to police and protect our borders. North, South, East West.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:51 PM   #85
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Local Time: 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
And how many languages are you willing to learn in order to conversate in your own country?
well... In my own country (if you don't know, spanish is my primary language) I had to pass the english language test, to get my Graphic designer degree... and I don't even plan to work in your country . And to be honest that question only shows a very lazy and comfortable attitude... I wouldn't mind to learn every single language in the world if I could, because I like to learn, and I think that it is important to communicate with others, respecting their difference...

the first time I traveled to the US my dad told me that it doesn't matter if I didn't know how to speak english properly, but If I could say "thank you" or "please" that would show that I'm polite and that I'm willing to comunicate with others. Is it so hard to say "por favor " or "gracias" or "arigato", "merci" etc. ??? don't these words show you as an open minded and correct person??

reading those kind of comments just makes me feel so frustrated, it is like, illegal or not, we were some kind of menace for you . and the worst part is that I'm just throwing these words to the air because I know I will be ignored as always
Old 09-27-2006, 04:55 PM   #86
Refugee

anyone who ruins your credit intentionally is not a postive contributor to society - illegal immigrant or legal resident. Suggest you find more compelling reasons to support your view.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:07 AM
I grew up in a country (Indonesia) that has one "national" language and thousands of completely distinct local languages. I lived in Switzerland for about a year...they have I believe 4 official languages. I never met anyone there who wasn't at least bi- if not tri-lingual. And recently living in Mali where the "official" language is of the colonial occupiers, the French, everyone speaks at least one local language and usually more depending on their geographic location. You could be ethnically from the Dogon tribe and speak Dogon because it's what you speak at home, live in an area where the Peuls are the dominant group and also speak Peul in order to get practical business done, speak Bambara because it really is the unofficial language of Mali (again to get business done) and hopefully some French that you learned in school (if you had a chance to go) to do school and/or government business.

I guess I can't be bothered to be upset if one more language is added to the roster of our linguistic homogeneous country. I'd like to learn Spanish one of these days. I'm busy with Chinese at the moment, but hopefully this will be the next one on my list.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Listen I know 99.9% of the illegal immigrants here are good people and I do not have a problem with them. What I do have a problem is when they demand the same rights as everyone else when they made the choice to come here illegally in the first place. Yes you will say that many had no choice. Why not find a friend who will sponsore them?? Does illegal immigration cause a burden to our economy??? I say yes and no. We get cheaper items because we dont mind people working for shit wages and pay into the system and dont get any of that money back. They cause a burden with unpaid medical expenses, insurance premiums going up, schools being over crowded and creating special classes for them. Will they ask for reperations if they were given amnesty for all the taxes they paid??? I am sure they will but I doubt they will get anything since they came here illegally, bought fake ID's, so who's problem is that??
Old 09-27-2006, 05:04 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Spanish is hard to learn at first but it will get easier in the end.

Quote:
I grew up in a country (Indonesia) that has one "national" language and thousands of completely distinct local languages. I lived in Switzerland for about a year...they have I believe 4 official languages. I never met anyone there who wasn't at least bi- if not tri-lingual. And recently living in Mali where the "official" language is of the colonial occupiers, the French, everyone speaks at least one local language and usually more depending on their geographic location. You could be ethnically from the Dogon tribe and speak Dogon because it's what you speak at home, live in an area where the Peuls are the dominant group and also speak Peul in order to get practical business done, speak Bambara because it really is the unofficial language of Mali (again to get business done) and hopefully some French that you learned in school (if you had a chance to go) to do school and/or government business.

I guess I can't be bothered to be upset if one more language is added to the roster of our linguistic homogeneous country. I'd like to learn Spanish one of these days. I'm busy with Chinese at the moment, but hopefully this will be the next one on my list.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #90
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Muggsy

reading those kind of comments just makes me feel so frustrated, it is like, illegal or not, we were some kind of menace for you
I'm probably getting too involved in this topic, but I did because I think the UK faces similar issues.

Legal and controlled immigration is GOOD for many reasons. It allows for different people to mix and form a healthy cohesion, and ensure that resources can cope. No-one is a menace if they're making a contribution,.

But why would anyone choose to enter illegally and not expect to be treated differently?