should this book be written?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
it would be entitled "why the rest of the world hates the united states", and what it would be is a history of how our government, presumably, has fucked up over the last century so as to get us to our current position.

I would love to read something like that, so I can understand the hatred directed at us now.

ya ive heard about this, and id really be interested in reading it.

though, i wonder, will this book be based on opinion, or will the author give referenced detail to his claims?

Zoomerang96 said:
ya ive heard about this, and id really be interested in reading it.

though, i wonder, will this book be based on opinion, or will the author give referenced detail to his claims?

what the fuck are you talking about?????

I'm asking a rhetorical question.

never mind.:der:

Feisty, JOFO. Its a question I'm sure many people have pondered.

I'm with zoomerang on the opinion it would be fairly counter-productive to have it filled with 'opinion' and little fact to back up reasons why America is disliked by certain groups/nations.
Would anyone care to read a book filled with mindless racist drivel?

Well, its not a case whether the question is rhetorical or whether such a book should exist... it already does.

The book, 'Why the World Hates America' has been at the top of the British bestseller list for well over six months, it is written by two people, both doctors of some sort - one with apparent Arab background and another Anglo-saxon.

A very good read. Don't let the title mislead you, its a 'fairly' balanced book with some very infotmative and poignant arguments.

Ant.

Oh, and in reply to Angela Harlem's rhetorical question - yes. Mindless racist drivel can also be very informative, if one wants a way to see the 'whole' picture, as it were.

'Mein Kampf' has been one of the most fascinating reads for me, ever. A book filled with so much hate, so much potential evil, is noteworthy of analysis.

Ant.

elizabeth said:

are we name dropping now?
heehee

Why Do People Hate America isn't available in the US yet of course. :der: Look forward to reading it, but lord knows when that will be since it seems I don't read books till 2 years after they are published but anyway...

"A People's History..." also a good read, I agree.

I read Howard Zinn's "People's History of the U.S. 20th Century Ed."

But I think most of what he written in that book is mostly domestic concerns... the working class/minorities/etc. fighting against the system. (Vietnam section is probably most relevant to this thread here though)

Yeah, I would probably recommend NOAM CHOMSKY ;) as the most direct and relevant answer to the question at hand.

Gore Vidal recently wrote a book entitled "Perpetual War, Perpetual Peace" that touched on topics of Anti-American sentimints, the dissolving of civil liberties on the domestic front, and what motivated Bin Laden's followers as well as Timothy McVeigh's.

Another good source of material is Noam Chomsky who had a small/mini-book published entitled "9/11".

dano....enjoyed reading your other posts...at your rec i will pick up that NOAM CHOMSKY book.

who is named NOAM anyway???

ok, so i was puttering around barnes&noble and saw this book:

4978364.gif

Terrorism and War
From the Publisher
In Terrorism and War, Howard Zinn shows that while truth is indeed the first casualty of war, there are other casualties as well including civil liberties on the home front and human rights abroad. He also explores the history of U.S. militarism and the long tradition of Americans' resistance to it, from Eugene Debs during World War I to the opponents of military intervention in Afghanistan today.

CUSTOMER REVIEWS - An Open Forum
Number of Reviews: 1 Average Rating:

T. Akram, May 14, 2002,
War of Terrorism
This book will benefit those readers who seek understanding rather than jingoist polemics. Arnove successfully follows David Barsimian who has established a tradition of probing and in-depth interviews of progressive and left intellectuals. Zinn?s writings remain refreshingly clear and poignant. Arnove?s interview questions allow Zinn to discuss this views. The book starts with Zinn?s discussion of the events of September 11th. As a historian, Zinn provides an overview of United States? long record of war and state terrorism. The struggle for peace is likely to be long and arduous. At times of war, most ?intellectuals? support state power and the system of social science and humanities scholarship is devoted to serving power interest even in relatively free and open societies such as the United States. Hence, books from alternative perspective, such as War and Terrorism, become indispensable because they provide a glimpse of truth and aid in deciphering the news in the leading journals of our times and the distortions of governments and corporations.

HAS anyone read it?? Any opinions? Should I read it?

Back
Top Bottom