Should the U.S. Bring All the Soldiers Home? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2005, 06:44 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:19 AM
Should the U.S. Bring All the Soldiers Home?

Pull them out from all over.

Europe, Africa, Asia, the world?
Let the chips fall where they fall?

What?

What do you think?

Old 06-02-2005, 06:45 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

*runs and hides*

Old 06-02-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:19 AM
oh dear.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:56 PM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 04:19 PM
hmm i wonder how long this thread will go for...... And my two cents is you make a mess you clean it up, leaving it there is almost as bad as causing the mess
Old 06-02-2005, 07:13 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:19 PM
Hmm, Patrick Buchanan would like this thread.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:34 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I think either way we're screwed-if we leave, there'll be a mess, if we stay, there'll be a mess.

That said, I would support humanitarian groups staying behind to help rebuild the country and give aid and all that good stuff, but I do think our troops should come home. I imagine that the Iraqi citizens would be completely capable of doing whatever it took to rid their own country of any remaining terrorists. The longer our troops stay there, the more it's going to look like an occupation instead of a liberation.

Angela
Old 06-02-2005, 07:37 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:19 AM
Forget Iraq, just imagine no US troops in Europe, Japan or South Korea. No US troops for peacekeeping missions abroad.

I would like to see a world without the US just to show how close everything is from going to hell.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:41 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Forget Iraq, just imagine no US troops in Europe, Japan or South Korea. No US troops for peacekeeping missions abroad.

I would like to see a world without the US just to show how close everything is from going to hell.
Why are US troops needed in Europe?

Anyway most US troops have been pulled out of Europe I would have thought, post Cold War.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:44 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Nope. Not from Iraq, that's for damn sure. Leave now and Iraq becomes another Somalia.

I'm not entirely convinced that a garrison is needed on a tiny coral atoll in the middle of the Pacific that was used for nuclear bomb testing in the 50's though.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:45 PM   #10
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i'll contribute a bit more than my original post. i think withdrawing all troops everywhere is a bit excessive. as usual, i don't side with either side because it's a bit extreme - i don't like the all or nothing kinda way of thinking. i do think we need to withdraw SOME troops though.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:18 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

One thing Pat Buchanan and I agree on....

The United States Armed forces are not designed or trained to be peace keepers, nation builders, ect....

They are a trained and have taken an oath to protect and defend the United States. Anything short of that is a disservice to the oath that they take.

Bring them home.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:27 PM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

The United States Armed forces are not designed or trained to be peace keepers, nation builders, ect....

They are a trained and have taken an oath to protect and defend the United States. Anything short of that is a disservice to the oath that they take.

This I agree...

One phrase comes to mind:

"you made your bed..." well you know the rest.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:39 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I also disagree with the all or nothing choice.

No-one who isn't completely and utterly ignorant bordering on completely stupid would deny the US military the incredibly important role they have, spread out all over the place, in keeping the peace/balance around the globe.

A_Wanderer is right. If the US military retreats back within US borders, maybe accompanied by a proclamation from the US President that no matter what, US troops do not leave US soil and only ever fight in direct defence of US soil, then the split second after the last US troop sets foot back in the US is the exact same second that it's on for young and old all over the globe. To deny that is to show that you pay zero attention to the real state of the world at the moment, which honestly is within a whisker of completely collapsing and is only to get much worse in the near future.

I think the problem as it stands at the moment stems simply from the fact that to suggest that the world has a rather large issue with trusting the current US leadership to do the right thing is very much an understatement. The balance to the provokers are now seen in a lot of places AS the provokers (rightly or wrongly - and look at Korea as an example - South Koreas attitude as well as North Koreas).

I think it's like the big old Rottweiler that was sitting in your front yard, that you knew and trusted, has been replaced by a bull terrier and you're not quite sure what is going through it's mind when its staring at you. In the end though, it's far better than no guard dog at all.

And just on Iraq in particular - Pull out? No fucking way. Not until that country is up and running and running smoothly, just as you promised them. Those are my feelings in regards to Australian troops over there as well, and I actually think we should send more.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:42 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
And just on Iraq in particular - Pull out? No fucking way. Not until that country is up and running and running smoothly, just as you promised them.
And how long will that be? Like I said, the longer we stay there, the more it's going to look like an occupation, and that'll make things worse, not better, and as a result, it could take a long time to get things running smoothly.

to Dread's post.

Angela
Old 06-02-2005, 09:00 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:19 AM
A gradual withdrawl is the best way, it will not look like an occupation if you have US troops gradually being replaced by Iraqi troops with the elected Iraqi governments approval.