Should the U.S. Bring All the Soldiers Home?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, if I worked for them I wouldn't be posting it on a message board, however working for ASIO or ASIS would be a possible career for me, but right now I am more focused on my university studies.

A_Wanderer said:
No, if I worked for them I wouldn't be posting it on a message board, however working for ASIO or ASIS would be a possible career for me, but right now I am more focused on my university studies.

Well I would hope a talented scientist would find better career opportunities. But that's just my opinion. :wink:

A_Wanderer said:

Stay until the Iraqi security forces can take over, leave gradually and have the Iraqi's fill the gap. It is just like Vietnamisation, a strategy that works effectively against an insurgency.

I forgot about our huge success in Viet Nam.

In this context,
the rest of your posts are starting to make sense.

One point ypu should consider, South Vietnam fell to a conventional army and not the vietcong insurgency, ARVN had sucess in defeating the vietcong. The absence of a large conventional army to topple the Iraqi government as well as the absence of any superpower support for the insurgency or significant popular support for the insurgency all work in the favour of the Iraqi's defeating the insurgency.

Learning the lessons of Vietnam extends to more than knowing what didn't work.

the insurgency has an endless supply of reinforcements
their numbers are not finite

They can pick away piecemeal
at places
and times of their choosing.

They will only fade away when what fuels them on
is no longer there
like the guerillas in Viet Nam

"Victory means exit strategy, and it’s important for the president to explain to us what the exit strategy is." -- Bush criticizing President Clinton on not setting a timetable for troops in Kosovo, 4/9/99

"I think it’s also important for the president to lay out a timetable as to how long they will be involved and when they will be withdrawn." -- Bush, again criticizing Clinton, 6/5/99

"I'm going to be judicious as to how to use the military. It needs to be in our vital interest, the mission needs to be clear, and the exit strategy obvious." -- Bush, in response to a question from Jim Lehrer, 10/12/00.

"It doesn’t make any sense to have a timetable. You know, if you give a timetable, you’re — you’re conceding too much to the enemy." -- Bush on Iraq, 6/24/05

Iraqi legislators demand pullout timetable

Jul. 3, 2005 at 9:05AM

Several Iraqi legislators Sunday demanded the Iraqi government exert pressure for a timetable for the withdrawal of the U.S.-led forces from the country.
During a session on Iraqi sovereignty in the 275-member National Assembly, several lawmakers insisted that extending the presence of foreign forces in their country was illegal because it "ignored the will of the people and their representatives."
The demands came a week after 83 lawmakers signed a memo saying the Iraqi government's request to the U.N. Security Council seeking an extension of the U.S.-led military presence in the country had been made without the approval of Parliament.
Legislators Sunday proposed gradual withdrawal from the cities and towns as a first step towards a complete withdrawal while speeding up preparation of the Iraqi security forces to take control of matters.
Some also demanded the U.S. embassy in Baghdad move out of the presidential palace in the "Green Zone" on the grounds it represented a symbol of the country's sovereignty.

Back
Top Bottom