Should the U.S. Attack Switzerland?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Well, Dubya did state that "he will not make a distinction over terrorism and nations that harbor terrorism."

In investigating the money laundering trail in the stock market, the U.S. is stuck at Switzerland, whose banks refuse to release information regarding any financial transactions.

Does this mean that Switzerland is harboring terrorism by refusing to cooperate? Should Dubya come in with his proverbial mechanical bull and smash the Swiss into submission?

You know my answer to this. I'm just trying to provoke a response out of people here.

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

melon, your point is a good one. Bush needs to be careful with his broad statements I think. Any politician does.
Still, we culd spend all day nitpicking over every detail in their addresses. They are human and say such stuff like all of us.

*waits for the responses*

There is proof that Bin Ladens network has financial investments in Jersey, the Cayman Islands and a few other tax havens as well...

What the world needs is reform of tax havens and greater discolsure of financial transactions. With respect to Switzerland it is outragous this didn't happen after WWII.

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
The Swiss are white. We don't bomb white people.

(if you think I'm racist for saying that, then you are missing the point entirely)

Aah..so no strategic missile attacks on Belfast to knock out the IRA either.

Melon, where did you hear this about the Swiss? I wonder if it's just another rumor. I haven't heard about it on Fox News, and it's not on their web site. And usually, if it's not on Fox News, it didn't happen.

Originally posted by melon:

In investigating the money laundering trail in the stock market, the U.S. is stuck at Switzerland, whose banks refuse to release information regarding any financial transactions.

Melon
---------------------------------------------

Well, they said today that, "Switzerland is giving it's full cooperation ACROSS THE BOARD."

This of course was on "spoon-fed" CNN about 1800 central time.

I'm just trying to provoke a response out of people here.
Melon

biggrin.gif
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
GOD BLESS AMERICA
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by whammy (edited 09-23-2001).]

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
Melon, where did you hear this about the Swiss? I wonder if it's just another rumor. I haven't heard about it on Fox News, and it's not on their web site. And usually, if it's not on Fox News, it didn't happen.

ahhh fox news, the finest of the news.
http://www.fair.org/reports/fox.html

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

Yes, thank you kobayashi. You got it before I did.

And for those too lazy to click the link, FOX News is one of the most biased and conservative news channels there is. CNN is #2. What does that mean? The facts are distorted.

For example, CNN reported on Jerry Falwell and neglected to mention, in their list of what Falwell stated as the cause of these terrorist acts, that Falwell believed that homosexuals were to blame. Little things omitted here and there makes for bad news reporting. Little things like Switzerland's financial institutions not cooperating leads to bad news reporting.

I heard this bit on Switzerland when NBC was talking to the State Department and talking about how bin Laden was profiting on our stock market. They were saying you had to often trace 10 different transactions from several different banks in several different countries, but it could be traced. However, the U.S. was stumbling every time, as the Swiss banks refused to disclose information, which is their normal policy. Hence, my post here.

Melon

------------------

(if you think I'm racist for saying that, then you are missing the point entirely)

what exactly IS your point?

I believe his point is that the U.S. is more reluctant to bomb white nations over non-white nations.

Since Afghanistan is Arab, rather than white, the logic would be that it would be much easier for the U.S. to hate them and blow the shit out of them.

Since Switzerland is white, the logic would be that the U.S. would be far more open to dialogue, rather than bombing them.

Melon

------------------

gonzo, when has the IRA attacked the United States? also, to say that the US is only willing to go after these terrorists because they are not "white people" is way off the track, and you know it

Well, Dubya did state that "he will not make a distinction over terrorism and nations that harbor terrorism."

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
Carpet bombing 24/7!!!

...we don't need watches or cheese anyway.

What is wrong whit carpet ? Don`t you like the colour ?

Originally posted by melon:

Well, it is a strange statement. What about
pakistan ? 3 Months ago it was in the opinion
of Amerika a terrorist state. A bandit state
and one of the reasons that they want a
anti missile shield. And now they getting
money and the tradeban will be lifted.

Another point i do not understand is that
countries had to sign a paper that stated
that they not support terrorism and will
give all the infomation and support America
demands. So far so good. But if they
not sign that paper, they would be labelt as
terror states and can expect tradebans, political and financial bans. Wel, i call that state terror from a country that in the
past 8 months did not give a damn about
signed papers and early made treaty`s.

Do not get me wrong, get the bastards.

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

Well, there is a grain of truth to it, IMO. The Swiss look like us, think like us, and smell of cheese rather than strange spices, so it's harder to imagine attacking them. And they're right in our midst, of course (at least for those of us living in Europe).

gonzo, when has the IRA attacked the United States? also, to say that the US is only willing to go after these terrorists because they are not "white people" is way off the track, and you know it

I suggest you re-read my post.

Nowhere did I mention the IRA or Northern Ireland.

Nowhere did I mention that the only reason we are going after the terrorists is because they are not caucasion.

In fact, your entire response is to comments I never made in this thread. Perhaps you should reevaluate your reading comprehension skills before you make another idiotic post that only serves to embarass yourself.

[This message has been edited by DoctorGonzo (edited 09-25-2001).]

It was I that mentioned the IRA, and I was being a dick.
Although, seriously, they are terrorists, and although they haven't attacked the US, if you want to rid 'the world' and the UK are such major players in this....

Although in a good indirect way, I don't think the IRA or Real IRA will be doing much of that anymore because of all of this...

But yeah, I was just being a dick.

Melon,
The Idea that the USA is reluctant to bomb or go to war against "white nations" just is not so. Think Germany, Bosnia, Serbia, Kosovo, Italy.

Originally posted by STING:
Melon,
The Idea that the USA is reluctant to bomb or go to war against "white nations" just is not so. Think Germany, Bosnia, Serbia, Kosovo, Italy.

Umm...don't blame me. That's DoctorGonzo. I didn't play the race card. I am talking about a nation.

But this post might be dated. I'm thinking that Switzerland is cooperating now, when it wasn't when this was written.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

oh I'm sorry Gonzo, i have no reading comprehension skills, you said the Swiss wouldn't be bombed because they are white people; ok, then the middle east would be bombed because they are not??? and I thus applied this reasoning to another situation (ie, Northern Ireland), where by your reasoning would suggest, (as with Switzerland), these those terrorists would not be punished because they are white... in short, your argument is that the United States is reluctant to bomb "white people," no? yet as others have pointed out you are quick to forget Germany, Serbia, Kosovo and Italy (not to mention a Cold War with the USSR)

sorry if i extrapolated beyond what you wrote Gonzo, oh great one of wisdom and intellect
smile.gif

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
sorry if i extrapolated beyond what you wrote Gonzo, oh great one of wisdom and intellect
smile.gif

I have a reason to suspect you are being dreadfully sarcastic and you are referring to me, rather than Gonzo. If this is not true, I apologize ahead of time. If you are being sarcastic and referring to me, allow me to proverbially beat some sense into you.

Reread:

Originally posted by Melon:

Does this mean that Switzerland is harboring terrorism by refusing to cooperate? Should Dubya come in with his proverbial mechanical bull and smash the Swiss into submission?

You know my answer to this. I'm just trying to provoke a response out of people here.

No mention of race relations. In fact, it didn't cross my mind. I was thinking more along the lines that the U.S. won't bomb countries seen as "Western allies." You can, I guess, interpret that to mean white people. I can't help if Europe is white.

The contentious "race card." I, obviously, didn't write it.

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
what exactly IS your point?

A question is made in reference to DoctorGonzo's post.

Originally posted by melon: [emphasis added]
I believe his point is that the U.S. is more reluctant to bomb white nations over non-white nations.

Since Afghanistan is Arab, rather than white, the logic would be that it would be much easier for the U.S. to hate them and blow the shit out of them.

Since Switzerland is white, the logic would be that the U.S. would be far more open to dialogue, rather than bombing them.

This is not my belief. I've heard this racial excuse before, so I thought I'd try and interpret it for 80sU2isBest. I probably, in hindsight, should have either ignored it or rewrote it. But what's done is done. Synopsis: this entire post is an attempt to interpret what DoctorGonzo wrote on a theoretical basis, and does not reflect my opinions.

However, this is where it gets complicated. 80sU2isBest did understand this distinction I wrote above, and wrote a post thanking me for helping--but it's gone, likely because it was written on the day of the forum server switch, where all the posts that day were consigned into oblivion.

I do not take unfounded accusations lightly, and if necessary, I will proverbially pound everyone into the ground--and I don't discriminate by race here either.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

uh, without even bothering to read what you wrote melon, let me just tell you i was referring to Gonzo in that post, I think it was you who actually mentioned World War II, etc before but some of the stuff written in this thread is gone so I don't even care... right, so anyway, i was being dreadfully sarcastic towards Gonzo who saw fit to call me an idiot/dumbass/licker of anuses in not so many words

and don't think you will be pounding me into the ground anytime soon melon, i will bury you (puts shoe back on)

tongue.gif

Well, like I said, it was questionable, and I did apologize beforehand if I was mistaken.

Sorry...hehe...
smile.gif

Melon

------------------

perhaps Bama, i don't think he could have had a more perfect, story-book ending to his career the way it was, but he continues to say this is for "the love of the game" and I'll tell you what, I think that's one of the best things I've ever heard coming out of the mouth of an athlete because I think he sincerely means it and he is putting his legendary status on the line because he desperately loves to play and feels like he has another good year or two left in his body; i mean, if he was coming back to play for say, the LA Lakers just to be a part of another championship team (and Phil Jackson made the offer), then i would have actually thought less of him because he was just jumping aboard for a sure thing, the Washington Wizards are the furthest thing from that and who cares if he doesn't go out like he did the last time, in my mind he is still the greatest player ever, and I will be thankful I get the chance to watch him in action one more time around for the next year or two; and besides, don't be surprised if Jordan's return lures a big time free agent or two next off season to join up with him in DC

there's some Swiss cheese for ya...

[This message has been edited by The Wanderer (edited 09-29-2001).]

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
perhaps Bama, i don't think he could have had a more perfect, story-book ending to his career the way it was, but he continues to say this is for "the love of the game" and I'll tell you what, I think that's one of the best things I've ever heard coming out of the mouth of an athlete because I think he sincerely means it and he is putting his legendary status on the line because he desperately loves to play and feels like he has another good year or two left in his body; i mean, if he was coming back to play for say, the LA Lakers just to be a part of another championship team (and Phil Jackson made the offer), then i would have actually thought less of him because he was just jumping aboard for a sure thing, the Washington Wizards are the furthest thing from that and who cares if he doesn't go out like he did the last time, in my mind he is still the greatest player ever, and I will be thankful I get the chance to watch him in action one more time around for the next year or two; and besides, don't be surprised if Jordan's return lures a big time free agent or two next off season to join up with him in DC

there's some Swiss cheese for ya...

[This message has been edited by The Wanderer (edited 09-29-2001).]

Also don't be surprised if the team sucks and Jordan gets pissed off at their lack of effort on the court and decides to quit mid-season. Anybody remember what happened when Magic started coaching the Lakers?

Back
Top Bottom