Should The Gun Control Issue Be Re-instated - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Fly So High, based on the quote you want us to focus on, I think the issue is what kind of firearms they're talking about. There are a lot of accidents with hunting rifles because the parents are irresponsible with their guns.

I'm usually a bit right-of-center politically, but when it comes to guns, I fully support more control. I'm not saying ban them altogether, but hunting rifles should be more difficult to obtain and should be kept in locked cases. Other weapons should be banned altogether. NO ONE needs assault weapons, but if people are obsessed with practicing and learning to shoot them, these guns could be available at certified firing ranges where they are kept.
I tried to find out what guns they were basing their findings on but the tutorial did not specify.

I agree, i would not expect that all firearms should be banned, only the assault weapons (handguns). Most people who would use guns for hunting/recreation have their rifles locked up, i guess the "Cheney" incident does not really apply here (cause was just plain, dumb!)

What i want to find out about what you all thought of, is........the introduction of...........making it illegal to own a gun that's intended to kill/mane people in the USA.

Old 02-23-2006, 07:31 AM   #17
Refugee

So i guess it's a case of a "right to bear arms" or...."right to arm bears".....hell,i dunno!

Old 02-23-2006, 08:05 AM   #18
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:26 AM
I don't see why anyone outside of the military or police even needs to own a gun.

Guns don't really have any valid, peaceful use. It's not as if anyone's out there hunting to feed the family because that's the only source of food they have. On the other hand, implements such as cricket bats, knives, and crowbars do actually have perfectly legitimate uses that do not physically harm anybody.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-23-2006, 11:53 AM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
It's not as if anyone's out there hunting to feed the family because that's the only source of food they have.
LET THEM EAT CAKE!
Old 02-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 01:26 PM
Quote:
I don't see why anyone outside of the military or police even needs to own a gun.

Guns don't really have any valid, peaceful use. It's not as if anyone's out there hunting to feed the family because that's the only source of food they have. On the other hand, implements such as cricket bats, knives, and crowbars do actually have perfectly legitimate uses that do not physically harm anybody.
Speak for yourself. MANY people America still hunt and in a way rely on hunting for food.

My hunting group (my dad and brother and I) shot 6 deer this last season. Being that beef is so expensive--usually $2.50 for ground beef and upwards of 6-7 per pound for a good beef steak-- that meat has saved me probably $700-1000 dollars this year alone. Not to mention what my father and brother saved.

"Guns don't really have any valid, peaceful use."

Yeah because only about 99.9 percent of guns are actually used for peaceful use. Hunting doesn't hurt anyone, and sports shooting is a hell of a lot of fun. That includes handguns and "assault weapons."
Old 02-23-2006, 03:29 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
NO ONE needs assault weapons, but if people are obsessed with practicing and learning to shoot them, these guns could be available at certified firing ranges where they are kept.
See, an arguement like this is the type used after seeing the "scary" looking guns shown on t.v. shows.

"Assault weapons" as a term is a joke. Every gun out there can be used as an assualt weapon. The majority of crimes DO NOT involve the so called "assault weapons" like AK-47's, SKS's or AR-15's. Why? because those guns are too damn expensive for the criminals to own!

I guarantee you that someone using a soft-leaded bullet from a hunting rifle such as a .308 or 30-06 could do a hell of a lot more damage than an "assault weapon."
Old 02-23-2006, 04:20 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:26 PM
Quote:

wrong, plenty of people here still rely on hunting for food.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:24 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:26 AM
If we are going to entertain the "no one needs argument", what else should we look at?

No one needs a car that travels faster than 30(?) miles an hour. High rates of speed lead to deaths.

No one needs ________

you could go on for days with the various items or activities that cause harm (or even death).
Old 02-23-2006, 10:26 PM   #24
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
If we are going to entertain the "no one needs argument", what else should we look at?

This was not the argument i wanted to entertain, and i certainly do not want to get into arguments over this thread!

I'm just curious on how you guys react to the original article regarding firearms!

The point of this thread is to find out how many of you (particurly Americans) would agree or not, to have owning a gun for defence purposes, illegal in the USA?
Old 02-24-2006, 05:32 AM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

No one needs a car that travels faster than 30(?) miles an hour. High rates of speed lead to deaths.

No one needs ________

you could go on for days with the various items or activities that cause harm (or even death).
come on, we obviously need cars going faster than THAT.

i might need to get somewhere really badly, on the other hand, as you might agree, i might also need to kill something really badly.

but i guess it's a matter of priorities