SHould politics and religion mix? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 06:31 AM
SHould politics and religion mix?

With the huge rise of the Pentecostal movement in Australia and the success the Family First Party (a conservative Australian Christian party) had on the last Australian election, I pondered the effect religion has on politics, and visa versa.

The title of the thread says it all: should politics and religion mix? Personally, I find it disgusting that politicians would use religion to suit their own gain and manipulate scriptures to justify their actions.

I would love to hear your responses.

Old 04-16-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:31 AM
Your faith and moral system should guide you to certain extent but religion should NEVER come into hand when politics is concerned.

Old 04-16-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:31 AM
While I don't expect politicians to leave their personal beliefs at home when they are working, I also don't want their personal beliefs imposed on me (I'm sure they wouldn't want mine imposed on them either). I want them to understand that religious views are not something to be imposed on a secular populace.

So I guess that's a no.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:55 PM   #4
Refugee

Politics and religion should NEVER mix. When a president is making decisions, you should not be able to tell (by the decisions he/she makes) if she is old, young, black, white, hispanic, asian, gay, straight, muslim, christian, hindu, jew. You should not be able to tell. Only then do you know that this person is making decisions based on what he/she feels is right for the nation.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:58 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
While I don't expect politicians to leave their personal beliefs at home when they are working, I also don't want their personal beliefs imposed on me (I'm sure they wouldn't want mine imposed on them either). I want them to understand that religious views are not something to be imposed on a secular populace.

So I guess that's a no.
. What indra said .

Angela
Old 04-16-2005, 10:13 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:31 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with having faith-based beliefs guide your everyday decisions, political or not. However, I'd object to a theocracy, which is far from what we have here in the States, regardless of this term being used to exaggerate a strong secular point of view. A democracy is all about being governed by the people, and standing for what they as a whole believe in, and there is no way to please EVERYBODY. If the majority have a stance, so be it. If it isn't forcing religion, then it's fine.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:58 PM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 01:31 AM
Our founding fathers sure thought so. Their views wouldn't really be socially acceptable these days tho. They did agree that ONE religion/denomination shouldn't run the whole show, but they certainly also based many of their political stances and laws on their Christian worldview.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:59 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:31 PM
I live in a country where it does mix, and it's a hindrance more than anything. A mature govt would have more faith in people.

foray
Old 04-16-2005, 11:28 PM   #9
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by unosdostres14
Politics and religion should NEVER mix. When a president is making decisions, you should not be able to tell (by the decisions he/she makes) if she is old, young, black, white, hispanic, asian, gay, straight, muslim, christian, hindu, jew. You should not be able to tell. Only then do you know that this person is making decisions based on what he/she feels is right for the nation.
I totally agree.

When governing a diverse society, I believe all decisions should be religiously neutral.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-17-2005, 10:32 AM   #10
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by learn2kneel
Our founding fathers sure thought so. Their views wouldn't really be socially acceptable these days tho. They did agree that ONE religion/denomination shouldn't run the whole show, but they certainly also based many of their political stances and laws on their Christian worldview.
You might want to check your history again. Many of our founding fathers were Unitarians and didn't believe they should mix.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:20 PM   #11
War Child

I understand that many of the founding fathers were Unitarians and accepted many ways to get to heaven, but they still accepted that the general principles on which America acheived independance were those of Christianity. Although many of them were Deists or Unitarians and rejected the divinity of Jesus, they still accepted the teachings of Chrisitianity and implemented them into their politics. I agree with Macphistowannabe about faith-based beliefs and I think thats what they used to guide them, which is something I think that leaders today would take criticisim from doing.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:32 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

i would say that it is belief in God, as opposed to subscribing to a particular religion, that did become the basis of the constitution -- it is because all human beings come from the same spiritual orgin, call that God, that we are then endowed with inalienable rights, we are all equal in the eyes of god, the shepard smelling of sheep shit can point to the pharaoh and spit out the revlutionary idea that in the eyes of god the two men are equal, etc. at its core, belief in God should be tantamount to existentialist notions of freedom -- that we are free to do whatever we want, we are masters of our own destiny.

therefore, it stands that we are entitled to a government based upon notions of human equality rather than landed gentry and aristocracy. it also stands to reason -- as beings empowered with the freedom that comes with the base assumption of equality stemming from a common point of origin -- that such a government of the people, by the people, and for the people must necessarily be separated from religion and God -- government is a human creation, not a spritual one, and it must be administered by humans, and the surest way to abuse is through those who are in power to begin to claim knowledge of Truth or of a direct line to God or that God has specific viewpoints.

and we're seeing that in the Republican party right now, this very instant. don't kid yourselves -- a president who doesn't think anyone who doesn't believe in his God can be president, and a speaker of the House who doesn't believe in the very basic assumption i've detailed above.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:22 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

There's that whole thing going on in the Senate now, w/ Senator Frist and the filibuster thing. I don't know all the details, but it's something to do w/ him attending some sort of conference where they're talking about filibusters being used "against people of faith".

That's just bizarre
Old 04-18-2005, 06:35 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

My country, the United States, is supposed to be secular. There shouldn't be any religion in the state apparatus. Unfortunately, these days there's a heck of alot of religion in politics, and I'm not liking it.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:38 AM   #15
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:31 PM
When there exists a religion that can encompass the needs and wants of an entire society, sure, why not. But politics on it's own has difficulty enough in achieving this, so adding one more dimension of exclusion and conflict for groups in society is narrowing, not encompassing, as I think politics needs to be so it cannot work and cannot be accepted on the whole as a good idea.