SHould politics and religion mix? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2005, 08:50 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:01 AM
It has been touched on before, but there is an aspect of religion that cannot and should not be removed from politics - that is the moral compass of the individual politician.

Should a religion/denomination/church/temple/mosque control a country's agenda? No.

But when we elect an individual, we should know their moral compass and the belief system under which they operate.

Old 04-18-2005, 08:58 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
It has been touched on before, but there is an aspect of religion that cannot and should not be removed from politics - that is the moral compass of the individual politician.

Should a religion/denomination/church/temple/mosque control a country's agenda? No.

But when we elect an individual, we should know their moral compass and the belief system under which they operate.

i absolutely agree.

however, to what degree do we allow our elected official to reference their personal belief systems as reasons for why they vote they way they do and why the support certain pieces of legislation?

is it acceptable for a politican to say something to the effect of, "i, as a christian, cannot support the invasion of iraq because illegal wars are unacceptable to what i believe to be the teachings of jesus christ"?

Old 04-18-2005, 09:06 AM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 06:01 PM
As far as I am concerned religion gets far too much respect by politicians. They just seem to be afraid of offending people. I would vote for a politician who came out and said that people are free to practise whatever religion they please BUT there is no evidence that any major religion is anything but myth. We should work on the basis that religion is not true. The state should be entirely secular and it makes me uneasy to see religion having such an influence in American politics. I mean if you look at religion objectively in our age of science you'd say it was nonsense.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:16 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
is it acceptable for a politican to say something to the effect of, "i, as a christian, cannot support the invasion of iraq because illegal wars are unacceptable to what i believe to be the teachings of jesus christ"?
Absolutely. It is our responsibility to draw this type of position out during the election process.

In fact, I would have a greater deal of comfort in (i) knowing the religious convictions of a politician and (ii) knowing that they held a strong influence in their life. I believe it brings a greater level of consistency and certaintly in how they will lead in office.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:20 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:01 PM
Though I believe in separation of church and state, I'm increasingly starting to think that much of the foundation of the structure of our belief system within liberal democracies is based on religious principles anyway.

Also as NBCrusader said we are entitled to know about the moral compass/value systems of politicians.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:28 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
Sure, why not? If you censor politicians too much, you may never know what's in their hearts.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:00 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Absolutely. It is our responsibility to draw this type of position out during the election process.

In fact, I would have a greater deal of comfort in (i) knowing the religious convictions of a politician and (ii) knowing that they held a strong influence in their life. I believe it brings a greater level of consistency and certaintly in how they will lead in office.

interesting ... agreed that such things would come out in the electoral process, but i have the opposite opinion, and that's why i chose a christian justification for what we would call a "liberal" position. anyone who points to any religious text as justification for policy would not get my vote, republican or democrat. i do believe fiercely in the secularlization of politics and policy, by operating on the possible and the practical. while there's no question that religious beliefs -- should one even hold them to begin with -- can and should influence on an individual level, the referencing of scripture (bible, torah, koran, teachings of the buddah, etc.) be it in a campaign speech, on the floor of Congress, or in an interview as a piece of evidence for conviction, to me, would probably make that candidate unacceptable to me. i am thoroughly uncomfortable with the assumption of inerrancy of scripture, and the assumption that said politician has understood said scripture, on the part of those to whom we have given power to govern out society.

but that's just me.