Should New Zealand join Australia? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 09:20 AM
I'd visit New Zealand in a minute if it didn't cost thousands of dollars to fly there!

If I win the lottery someday, though, it'll be on top of my travel itinerary.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:33 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:20 AM
melon, the prices aren't necessarily too bad. I looked at flying to Australia in August (out of curiosity) and found flights on Air New Zealand from Toronto-LAX-Brisbane for $1160 Cdn, all inclusive. It's a good airline for flying to Australia or New Zealand and you can sometimes find very good deals (like $1500 Cdn or so).

Old 06-06-2007, 10:38 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
melon, the prices aren't necessarily too bad. I looked at flying to Australia in August (out of curiosity) and found flights on Air New Zealand from Toronto-LAX-Brisbane for $1160 Cdn, all inclusive. It's a good airline for flying to Australia or New Zealand and you can sometimes find very good deals (like $1500 Cdn or so).
I'll have to keep that in mind. Although I haven't checked all that closely or all that often, it always seemed like it cost around USD $7,000 each time!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Ormus

I'll have to keep that in mind. Although I haven't checked all that closely or all that often, it always seemed like it cost around USD $7,000 each time!

you can definietly do better than that.

it's on my fantasy destinations too -- along with South Africa, Bhutan, and the Maldives -- and i've seen stuff even on expedia for under US $1500.

and if you're under 26 (or maybe 28) check out STA Travel for some fantastic deals.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:20 PM
Try living down here! Aside from SE Asia, EVERYWHERE costs at least AUS$1000. L.A is around $13-1600, NY is about $16-1800. London is anywhere between $2-2500.

I think I've spent a good $10K heading to the Northern Hemisphere in the 00's.

Suck it up and get down here!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:53 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

i often dream about it.

it seems like a great, big, open, starry, sun-kissed, ocean-lapped, often carefree country with friendly locals and curious, cuddly animals.

yes, i know that's what the Australian Tourism wants me to believe, especially when it's grey and horrible here in February, but i do lap up the images.

as for the crurrency thing ... gosh, i dont know.

as for the comparisons between USA/Canada and Australia/NZ, i think there's something to be said when one country only really has to worry about itself, and the "big brother" has others to worry about.

not to justify, in any way, the disaster of the past 7 years in the US.

but, really, can anyone say that Canada/NZ have the same obligations/interests that the US/Australia do?

it's just apples to oranges, that's all. and perhaps one is simply lucky to be born into the "kid brother" country.

but everyone i've meet from that region of the world have been generally exemplary human beings. so, good on all of you.

yes, i've been drinking tonight.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #22
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
Try living down here! Aside from SE Asia, EVERYWHERE costs at least AUS$1000. L.A is around $13-1600, NY is about $16-1800. London is anywhere between $2-2500.

I think I've spent a good $10K heading to the Northern Hemisphere in the 00's.

I got flights to London for $1400 last year. Then 99p flights on the budget airlines for London to Dublin, then Dublin to Manchester.

www.zuji.com.au

Old 06-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #23
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:20 AM
Hey Aussies check this out!

Old 06-08-2007, 05:24 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I suppose a merger would help economically for NZ and the 11 cents their dollar is weaker by, or whatever it is. Socially, it would be suicide for NZ. They're like The Netherlands or Canada - one of the last bastions of liberal freedom. We're so much like the US, and increasingly so as time moves on, it hurts. I'd hate to see anyone become like us... except the US, who (no offence) need all the help it can get in terms of living a definition of freedom.
I agree on all fronts... however I'm wondering - how many people internationally view us as something of a mini-US? Most of this reaction seems to come from Australians themselves, New Zealanders too, I'd assume. But is the general perception of Australia outside of Oceania still the supposedly peaceful, sunny and free island that our tourism ads promote?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:12 AM   #25
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:20 PM
Is anywhere anything like what the tourist ads promote?

According to Belfast's tourism adverts we have trapeze artists everywhere
Old 06-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk

I agree on all fronts... however I'm wondering - how many people internationally view us as something of a mini-US? Most of this reaction seems to come from Australians themselves, New Zealanders too, I'd assume. But is the general perception of Australia outside of Oceania still the supposedly peaceful, sunny and free island that our tourism ads promote?

culturally, i'm told that the US and Australia are closer than even the US and the UK -- and a bunch of drunk Aussies in a pub in Scotland told me so, therefore it must be true -- and, yes, the Australian tourist advertising we get in the US depicts a great big colorful country of beaches, sea life, koalas, kangaroos, etc. and Sydney seems some ultra-modern urbanist paradise on a gorgeous harbor. sure, the Crocodile Dundee/Hunter image lingers, but most of that is received warmly (despite its obvious patronization).

delving slightly deeper than that, the broad stereotypes i've heard are that Aussies are, in general, much more laid back than your average north american or western european. you're not as culturally rigid as a european nor as work-obsessed as a north american. i've heard it said that much of this take-it-as-it-comes attitude is due to the environment -- you could be walking down the street one day and then, boom, a spider bites you and you die. so why worry so much?

them's some stereotypes for you, mostly good one.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 06:20 AM
From my experience I find Aussies have definitely more in common with Canadians than Americans.

There is a certain sensibility that us Commonwealth countries share that no matter what, can be quite alien to Americans. We really feel like we're family, even if we don't get along sometimes(sporting events). But when it comes down to it our shared history, traditions, same governmental systems, institutions, regimental ties, and if you like it or not, shared Monarch, surely outweigh any comparison between the US and any one Commonwealth Realm.

Perhaps from their view some Aussies think they are perceived as being more American, but I think they're wrong.