Should Illegal Aliens Be Allowed to get Driver's Licenses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should Illegal Aliens Be Allowed to get Driver's Licenses?

• YES

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • NO

Votes: 17 77.3%

• Total voters
the key term is illegal. there's a fine line between national security and "bring me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breath free." we're all decsendants of immigrants when it comes down to it, and this nation was built on immigration. but now immigration and our open society is also what's aiding those who are trying to bring us down. it's a hard thing to decide... like do we not make violent movies and video games because a handful of kids AND adults who have a few screws loose might try and emulate what they see? even though 99.9% of america can take it as just entertainment and not want to go out and pop a cap in somebody afterwords? do we close off our borders to immigrants in order to stop a miniscule number of people who are trying to destroy us? even though 99.9% of the people who come in will be honest, hard working people? to me, the answer to both is obviously no. but just like you've got ratings on movies and video games to restrict certain people from seeing the content, you have to have some sort of regulations or restrictions on immigration... and that has to begin with making sure that people enter this country legaly. sure, that's not an end all. some of the 9/11 hijackers were here on legal student visas. but that's more an intellegence failure than an immigration failure. but to start, and i know it's easier said than done, we have to start ensuring that the people who come into this nation do it in a legal manner, going through some sort of screening process. giving benefits to illegals only encourages more illegals to come over the border. frankly, i open any person who wants to come to america in order to taste our freedoms and privliges with open arms. but they should do it legally, and go through a screening process. long rambling answer i know... sorry.

Headache, you made some valid points.

Lost in this debate or discussion is whether this is a California only problem? How have other states and governors dealt with it?

What did W do when he was Gov of Texas and what does Texas do with this issue? The GOP controlls Texas state Government.

Davis' DL handout will create new problems for those legally trying to cross the border.

To re-enter into the US, a CA driver's license was all you needed for proof of citizenship.

Legal border crossings will take much more time next year.

I voted yes, because it allows law enforcement personel to keep track of who is and isn't supposed to be here. It's a small step toward the aiding of traffic regulation, while not granting full-fledged citizenship.

It's important to remember that this doesn't include naturalization rights, welfare rights, or anything of that nature. It's simply a way of keeping track of people who drive automobiles. It may cut back on traffic accidents.

Danospano said:
I voted yes, because it allows law enforcement personel to keep track of who is and isn't supposed to be here. It's a small step toward the aiding of traffic regulation, while not granting full-fledged citizenship.

Actually, the DMV cannot share the information they receive. It will actually make it harder for law enforcement to determine "who is and isn't supose to be here."

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

yes it prevented me from voting, because i have no idea if aliens are supposed to have licenses for driving a UFO.

I understood what you meant the first time...without the sarcasm:huh:

here is a nice email joke

my Republican friends sent to me.

33868%3B3523232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2323%3D537%3D547%3D32325374564%3B%3Bnu0mrj

Disciplined for E-mail Incident !!

Orange County Register - Nov. 22, 2003.. News page 16

"Workers Disciplined in E-mail Incident"

Salinas, CA -- Two Monterey County workers have been disciplined for an incident in which a racially disparaging cartoon about Mexican immigrants was sent on the county's e-mail system.

County officials said that that confidentiality rules prevent them from revealing their names or their punishment.

The e-mail was sent on 11/03/03 to about 3,200 county employee computers. It featured a bogus "Mexi-Fornia" driver license belonging to a sombrero-wearing bandit and it contained disparaging personal information about the "driver".

The incident drew widespread media attention and brought a hasty apology from county officers within minutes after the e-mail was posted on the county's internal system.

Hmm.....wonder where that came from??????
:confused: :shifty:

The Democrat's Charade Is Revealed

Guess what!?! The California Senate voted 33-0 to repeal the "Drivers Licenses for Illegals" law. Even the bill's author and sponsor voted to repeal the law. Talk about convictions.

State Moves Toward Repeal of License Law

SACRAMENTO ? In a victory for Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Senate Democrats joined with their Republican counterparts Monday to repeal a controversial law that would allow illegal immigrants to obtain California driver's licenses.

The Senate voted, 33 to 0, to repeal the law after only four minutes of debate. Six Latino Democrats chose not to vote. An Assembly committee is expected to take up the matter today. The lower house, which is generally more conservative than the Senate, is expected to vote as a whole within the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom