Should Illegal Aliens Be Allowed to get Driver's Licenses? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Should Illegal Aliens Be Allowed to get Driver's Licenses?
YES 5 22.73%
NO 17 77.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2003, 12:47 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:15 PM
Quote:
Yes, I agree this is a country founded on immigrants. However, people coming across the boarders illegaly, should not be allowed to aquire a driver's license.
Right but what I'm saying is why do we have so many coming over illegally instead of legally?

Old 09-07-2003, 01:01 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Right but what I'm saying is why do we have so many coming over illegally instead of legally?
Good point...shouldn't homeland security begin at our boarders?

Old 09-07-2003, 02:07 PM   #18
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

It takes years to go through the legal immigration process and most people who come here for financial reasons obviously can't wait that long.

They also know its pretty easy to get here and once they are here, they can work and live in the US for decades without being caught.

I guess we should be asking the powers that be in the immigrant's countries of origin why so many people NEED to come here just to feed their families?

And all that aside, our border security is a pretty big joke.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:49 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Licenses do not ensure safety.

I agree.

However, would you agree that drivers who pass the licensing tests are more likely to be a better drivers?
Old 09-07-2003, 03:54 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

It takes years to go through the legal immigration process and most people who come here for financial reasons obviously can't wait that long.

They also know its pretty easy to get here and once they are here, they can work and live in the US for decades without being caught.

I guess we should be asking the powers that be in the immigrant's countries of origin why so many people NEED to come here just to feed their families?

And all that aside, our border security is a pretty big joke.
It takes years? Are you sure about that. My wife's family immigrated here and I don't believe they had that long of a process and they obtained temporary work visas during the process.

But I think you're right it goes back to the why so many NEED to come here.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:34 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

My attitude on immigration has changed over time depending on where I live and what I experience.

I currently live in an city where about 94% of the population is white and affluent.

Most of the labor, hard work is done by immigrants for reasonable wages without benefits.

When I had a 30 foot palm tree removed I got three bids. $1000, $1000, and $400.
The $400. bid was from a Latino tree service. 4 workers, all day job. Spanish speakers, most likely undocumented.
In my affluent seaside town most of the Resort, Hotel workers, custodians, are these illegal aliens.
In the last 20 years the home builders moved to contractors that use undocumented because they are the non union, low bidders.

Of course the undocumented do all of the farm labor in this state. California is the breadbasket for the U. S., we produce more food crops than any other state.

To call these people criminal is not fair. It is ironic that all of the business owners that support the GOP would use all of their influence to stop the boarders from ever being truly sealed. The GOP uses immigration as a wedge issue to solidify the base. It is all just politics.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:59 AM   #22
War Child

Location: 21 Duke Street Dublin eating a gorgonzola sandwich!
Local Time: 07:15 PM
This is a little off track here but what some people fail to realize in the illegal immigrant equation is WHY are people coming to the US in the first place?Its because of POVERTY!They can;t feed their families and they are looking for a better life!Are any of you aware that employers cheat these people out of fare wages that they are legally required to get?The employees very rarely report this because of fear!My husband is a Mexican American who came to this country in the late eighties he went through the process of becoming a citizen(no easy feat these days)follows the law,pays taxes and is a contributing member of society.I do not live in California and I am aware that the illegal immigrant issue is one that needs to be addressed however it seems to me that some of this legislation is directed at hispanics and that does not seem fair to me!Noone was passing legislation to have my Irish relatives kicked out of the US a 100 years ago?As far as an illegal immigrant getting a drivers license I would have to vote no but I do understand why the majority of these people have come here!
Old 09-08-2003, 08:00 AM   #23
War Child

BTW Deep great post!!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2003, 08:38 AM   #24
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:15 AM
Are they legally required to get that though U2sangel? If they are working illegally, they and the employee are breaking the law. No one should work for any less than the law states, but these people aren't legally allowed to work in the first place. Its a catch 22, they are desperate for money, have the ongoing saga of fighting red tape and are grateful to take whatever job they can to feed themselves and their families until they are cleared. The employee is grateful to have someone who wont complain, work for a great deal less than an average citizen. No one is doing it right in this kind of situation, and the government by lack of action keep allowing it to go on.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:17 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Great Post Angela!!!!

Why have only 10 people voted though? So many views...but only 10 votes!!!!
Old 09-08-2003, 09:12 PM   #26
War Child

I agree that the government needs to do something about this and btw yes whether someone is a citizen of this country or not employers are legally required to pay at least minimum wage and many do not pay these people that!
Old 09-08-2003, 09:50 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
So many views...but only 10 votes!!!!
Stop checking the thread every three minutes and there wouldn't be so many views...

I am not sure if this is in every state....but I found it interesting that "Foreign students" can also get DL's for the short time they are in our country for school. This has created quite a few problems (higher insurance due to increased number of accidents caused by foreign students).

I don't think they are allowed to vote though....
Old 09-09-2003, 12:27 AM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I am not sure if this is in every state....but I found it interesting that "Foreign students" can also get DL's for the short time they are in our country for school. This has created quite a few problems (higher insurance due to increased number of accidents caused by foreign students).
I don't see this as a problem. They still have to obtain their license the same way everyone else does.

Where is your evidence that foreign students are any worse drivers than 16 year olds, senior citizens, women drivers(just kidding ) etc?
Old 09-09-2003, 04:41 AM   #29
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:15 AM
Do you know if they have international licences Zoner? I could easily study over there and drive for a mere $15 I think it is to swap mine. Not that I would, cos you drive on the wrong side of the road and all...
Old 09-10-2003, 01:20 AM   #30
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:15 PM
Fuck it.