Should I or Shouldn't I?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should I Go to South Korea?

• Yes

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
speedracer said:
In this case, maybe taking a year to do something entirely non-media-related is the thing to do. Am I correct in guessing that this is one of your motivations for wanting to do ESL?

My motivation is that I'm tired of being unemployed. I wish I could say it was more glamorous than that.

Melon

I say Yes, you should go. Part of my job is to hire teachers and send them overseas to teach. There has not been one of them who regretted going. In fact, there have been a number of them who have not wanted to come back! It's a great chance to meet new people and to experience things you never will at home. Also, you will really be able to save money while you're over there. The year will just fly by. Do it!

An incredible opportunity. I've had friends take similar positions and they all feel they benefited from the experience.

Absent a direct connection between the position in Korea and your next significant objective (Media Arts and Sciences program at MIT), it seems that the Korean position will offer immense intangible benefits - enough so that it may surpass the benefits of the adjunct professor position in Minneapolis.

My two cents - go where you will find the most people with connections to your ultimate goal. As frustrating as it may be when developing what you know, we still live in a "who you know" society. This could be Korea, Minneapolis, Los Angeles, or ??.

You have talent and drive - people will notice you where ever you go.

melon said:

I have to admit, though. The MIT Media Lab seems like quite an interesting place for a Ph.D, though.

Melon

Maybe you could pick up some classes with Chomsky while you're there. I just saw him speak last week. What a national treasure, and a surprisingly cute and happy man.

I would say go for it unless your heart isn't into teaching. Even if it ends up to be a bad experience, it will be good for you. It will be over in time for you to work on your PhD at M.I.T.

I voted yes. Anytime you have an opportunity to live and work abroad, I say GO FOR IT! What could it hurt? You will see new things, make new friends, learn about a new culture and maybe make a little cash too.

Although, I am biased for the Minneapolis thing. I think you would like it there. It's a very liberal place (although that seems to be changing, unfortunately :() and has a cool arts community.

SULA! :hyper: How are you? I hope all is well in Mali! :hug:

Melon, here's a big YES vote. The time I spent in Africa (six months) and England (4 months) were amazing. They took me off of a treadmill I hadn't realized I was on. England especially was like someone giving me an oxegyn mask when I hadn't known I was suffocating. That sounds dramatic :wink: but it was that powerful. Do it while you can! :yes: And post pics! :p

Good luck and best wishes!

SD

melon said:
I'm at a crossroads. I have a chance to work in South Korea for a year doing one of the "teaching English" gigs that are quite common. If you're wondering where in South Korea, it's in Bucheon, which is just west of Seoul. It's about a 15-30 minute subway ride to Seoul from Bucheon.

I've been talking with a friend of a friend whose been there for about four years, so this is quite the gig. It's in a school versus a private "hagwon." I don't have to sell additional products. It's an 8 hour work day, five days a week. The pay is decent. The plane ticket will be paid for. The rent and utilities are free.

The question now, really, is whether or not I want to commit myself to a year there. It's mostly practical in that I won't be able to afford to come back to the U.S. right away, if I don't like it. I might like it, but I don't know.

I guess I'm disappointed that I'm even at this level. I went to school to study media, and now no one even wants to hire me. I could spend the money to go to LA, but there's no guarantees that anyone there will be any more responsive than NYC was.

But here I am. Should I give up on "Jesusland" and head to South Korea? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Melon

I've been there on business many times, will be back in March. Korea has "improved" a lot since the mid-80's when I first started going. The people and place are generally warmer and friendlier than they used to, it's a great opportunity.

Winters are brutal though, food leaves a lot to be desired too. I'm always there on business so I'm spoiled as I stay in $250/night hotels and eat in very expensive restaurants entertaining customers so I don't get to experience the "real" Korea.

Itaewan is more expensive than a typical US mall these day, but local markets should still yield a lot of bargains.

It's an opportunity for an experience you may never have again.

As far as the LA thing goes, why don't you see if you can't crash on your friend's couch for a couple months (paying some rent or agreeing to keep the place clean, etc) and search for a job. You don't want to uproot your life, chase something only to find out that you were better off where you were.

Also, what specifically do you do in media? I know of some websites that post several media related positions daily.

I have a friend who is in the military, he went to South Korea for how long I can't exactly remember. When he came back, he told me that he saw a crying prostitute on the street. :lol: (no joke)

Macfistowannabe said:
I have a friend who is in the military, , he told me that he saw a crying prostitute on the street. :lol: (no joke)

I am sure he gets the same reaction from prostitutes all over the world.

Last edited:
wolfwill23 said:
As far as the LA thing goes, why don't you see if you can't crash on your friend's couch for a couple months (paying some rent or agreeing to keep the place clean, etc) and search for a job. You don't want to uproot your life, chase something only to find out that you were better off where you were.

My friend has been very sick for the past month. When he gets better, I've thought of asking him.

Also, what specifically do you do in media? I know of some websites that post several media related positions daily.

I've studied video production, along with screenwriting. I also know Maya (3D animation software). I'm also good at web design.

I have all the academic knowledge; I just need the "foot in door," as they say. It's frustrating, because it seems like no one is willing to take a chance on anyone. How am I supposed to get that "experience" otherwise, though?

Melon

I know several people who have taught overseas (Poland, China and Japan) and none of them regret it. A friend's father is currently living and teaching in China. He has chosen to live 'outside' the English housing and says it is the best way to learn about the people.

Melon,

I've noticed a definite change in your posts in FYM. They are thoughtful, dynamic, reasoned and calm. (They were always very good, but you don't let the thoughtless statements get under your skin now).

The thing that comes to mind is that you should be a professor somewhere. You have a gift that should be passed on to others.

It would be nice to be a professor somewhere. It's just convincing the university world that I'm capable of it. I don't have the same luxury with them, as I do here.

Melon

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom