Should I or Shouldn't I? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Should I Go to South Korea?
Yes 19 86.36%
No 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2005, 02:34 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:39 PM
Do it. I'm presuming you are young and single. If so, do your wanding now before the "attachment/s" arrive in your life.

Old 02-04-2005, 02:34 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:39 AM
Quote:
I'm Korean.
and

Old 02-04-2005, 02:38 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

and
I'm reporting what I've seen and experienced firsthand. Your mileage may vary.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:41 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, I've been reading up on Korean culture, actually. I'm past that stage, where it seems that any culture is better than American culture (even though I'm quite irate over "Bush Country" here).

I've also been told, though, that foreigners tend to fall outside Korean social structures, so they will probably ignore you, rather than expect you to live up to the expectations they put on themselves. Correct me if I'm wrong?

I don't know. I'm still wavering on this one. I'm going to send some more e-mails out. I just got another contact regarding someone who lives in South Korea.

Melon
Old 02-04-2005, 02:46 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

I should tell you that I have two other options I'm considering, besides South Korea:

1) I have a friend going for a Ph.D in Minneapolis, and she suggested that I try to apply for adjunct professor positions there. I do have an M.A. in media, with plenty of TV/film and multimedia knowledge, so I qualify.

2) I leap to Los Angeles and stay with another friend, where I try my luck in getting a job there. The media industry seems to be very fickle, though, so my fear is that I will come back empty handed...and broke.

Melon
Old 02-04-2005, 02:54 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Well, I've been reading up on Korean culture, actually. I'm past that stage, where it seems that any culture is better than American culture (even though I'm quite irate over "Bush Country" here).
They definitely don't like Bush over in Korea these days, so you've got that going for you. I just wasn't sure how you might react to the other prominent features of Korean society that I mentioned above.

Quote:

I've also been told, though, that foreigners tend to fall outside Korean social structures, so they will probably ignore you, rather than expect you to live up to the expectations they put on themselves. Correct me if I'm wrong?
This is fairly true. If you fall in love with a Korean though, all bets are off.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:56 PM   #22
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:39 AM
Well before I vote in the poll, is teaching ESL something you would want to do?

neutral @ interference.com
Old 02-04-2005, 02:57 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

I'm reporting what I've seen and experienced firsthand. Your mileage may vary.

I agree there are cultural differences.

One of my brothers speaks fluent Japanese and lived there for several years teaching English.

I spent 10 days in Japan and it was a great learning curve for me.

The Japanese Americans I know say when the go to Japan they are seen as American to the Japanese.

I am currently dating someone who was born in Viet Nam in 1967.

Every culture has its customs and ways. I did see our American culture until I left the US.

Making value judgements, in my opinion causes one to be close-minded to understanding how and why they evolved.

I am sure if I was living aboard and I was pointing out some defects in American culture there would be someone like me countering my remarks.

I believe Melon is bright enough to adapt and learn from this different culture.

Speedracer - peace to you, I am sure you know more about Korean culture than I do.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:58 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
I should tell you that I have two other options I'm considering, besides South Korea:

1) I have a friend going for a Ph.D in Minneapolis, and she suggested that I try to apply for adjunct professor positions there. I do have an M.A. in media, with plenty of TV/film and multimedia knowledge, so I qualify.

2) I leap to Los Angeles and stay with another friend, where I try my luck in getting a job there. The media industry seems to be very fickle, though, so my fear is that I will come back empty handed...and broke.

Melon
Just make sure that you don't end up as an adjunct professor for the rest of your life.

Good luck.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:58 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

I don't know. I know I don't want to do it for the rest of my life.

Melon
Old 02-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

I agree there are cultural differences.

One of my brothers speaks fluent Japanese and lived there for several years teaching English.

I spent 10 days in Japan and it was a great learning curve for me.

The Japanese Americans I know say when the go to Japan they are seen as American to the Japanese.

I am currently dating someone who was born in Viet Nam in 1967.

Every culture has its customs and ways. I did see our American culture until I left the US.

Making value judgements, in my opinion causes one to be close-minded to understanding how and why they evolved.

I am sure if I was living aboard and I was pointing out some defects in American culture there would be someone like me countering my remarks.

I believe Melon is bright enough to adapt and learn from this different culture.

Speedracer - peace to you, I am sure you know more about Korean culture than I do.
Fair enough.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:00 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Just make sure that you don't end up as an adjunct professor for the rest of your life.
I'm actually looking to apply to the Media Arts and Sciences program at MIT for Fall 2006 for a Ph.D program, at earliest. I need to bone up on some of my programming skills, though.

If I got into that program someday, I'd be quite happy with it. Now I just need to ask myself if I want to dedicate myself to a Ph.D program.

Melon
Old 02-04-2005, 03:11 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I'm actually looking to apply to the Media Arts and Sciences program at MIT for Fall 2006 for a Ph.D program, at earliest. I need to bone up on some of my programming skills, though.

If I got into that program someday, I'd be quite happy with it. Now I just need to ask myself if I want to dedicate myself to a Ph.D program.

Melon
Well, if you were applying for Fall 2005 and saying that you weren't sure about pursuing a Ph.D., I'd say drop it and save yourself 4-7 years of misery.

Maybe you'll be really fired up about it a year from now, who knows?
Old 02-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Maybe you'll be really fired up about it a year from now, who knows?
Well, I agree. I was so burned out after my M.A. that the last thing I wanted to think about was school. If I'm not fired up over it in a year, I won't apply for Fall 2006.

I have to admit, though. The MIT Media Lab seems like quite an interesting place for a Ph.D, though.

Melon
Old 02-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Well, I agree. I was so burned out after my M.A. that the last thing I wanted to think about was school. If I'm not fired up over it in a year, I won't apply for Fall 2006.

I have to admit, though. The MIT Media Lab seems like quite an interesting place for a Ph.D, though.

Melon
In this case, maybe taking a year to do something entirely non-media-related is the thing to do. Am I correct in guessing that this is one of your motivations for wanting to do ESL?