Should Grey's Anatomy Actor Be Fired For Using The F Word? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,999
Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Anyone who shrugs off words as being powerless or "just words" are foolishly mistaken. Words are some of the most powerful weapons we have
Absolutely. I for one have had words said to me that have hurt me so much I would rather take a physical beating any day than suffer the feelings I did as a result-and still do to this day. I can be going along in my day and I will have flashbacks about those words and the pain-and it certainly isn't fun. That's why there are terms such as "emotional abuse".

People have to respect and understand that- because someone has never experienced it personally doesn't make it non-existent. It is real, and words have real, brutal, long lasting power.
__________________

__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 01-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BrownEyedBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Posts: 3,510
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Anyone who shrugs off words as being powerless or "just words" are foolishly mistaken. Words are some of the most powerful weapons we have. They've stopped wars, started wars, instilled fear, instilled love, they've made men powerful, and have torn others down.

Don't be naive to think words are powerless.
That is a fallacy. Words have stopped wars and done all that you´ve mentioned because they´ve presented negotiations and alternatives to wars and reasonable solutions.

Not the case with a noun that´s just mean to offend (and do nothing else).
__________________

__________________
BrownEyedBoy is offline  
Old 01-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #33
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy


That is a fallacy. Words have stopped wars and done all that you´ve mentioned because they´ve presented negotiations and alternatives to wars and reasonable solutions.

Not the case with a noun that´s just mean to offend (and do nothing else).
I've seen you over years posting in here ignore the history of violence associated with words and the power of words, I don't expect you to understand this.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 01-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BrownEyedBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Posts: 3,510
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


I've seen you over years posting in here ignore the history of violence associated with words and the power of words, I don't expect you to understand this.
Another fallacy. Completely ignoring what I said and bringing to light my previous posts.

You could´ve just addressed my post.
__________________
BrownEyedBoy is offline  
Old 01-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

Let's just all live in a world in which we call each other the n word, faggots, and any sexist terms you can think of-especially in the workplace when people are just trying to make a living.. What a wonderful world it would be.

I think it would be greatly preferable to the awful PC world you appear to idealise, a world where anyone is afraid to say anything for fear of offending the PC police.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 01-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ntalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,900
Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy


That is a fallacy. Words have stopped wars and done all that you´ve mentioned because they´ve presented negotiations and alternatives to wars and reasonable solutions.

Not the case with a noun that´s just mean to offend (and do nothing else).
Offensive words have thankfully sunk an incumbent senatorial candidate (George Allen) and given Democrats a majority.
__________________
ntalwar is offline  
Old 01-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:29 PM
I think the MOPE mentality is increasingly in evidence in the USA - MOPE standing for "Most Oppressed People Ever".

African-Americans, gays, Jewish Americans, Muslim Americans (even Christians, of late) all vie with each other in the MOPE olympics, each group trying to show that it is really the most oppressed, the most set upon, the most victimised group ever - and usually demanding special rights to compensate for the alleged victimisation, whether real or imagined.

While this trend is certainly not unique to the US (I see examples of the mentality in both Unionists and Republicans in Northern Ireland, for example) it is a mite disconcerting to see such a fuss over what are, as BEB said, just words.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 01-19-2007, 02:57 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,999
Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

I think it would be greatly preferable to the awful PC world you appear to idealise, a world where anyone is afraid to say anything for fear of offending the PC police.
Well good for you, and good for all your stereotypical assumptions too. I said what I "idealize" - so you continuing on with your assumptions and labels is rather moot, isn't it? Some "PC" things I am for, some I hate. But you are the master at evaluating and labeling others via a message board, I presume. Racism and homophobia and sexism are outside the realm of "PC", as far as I'm concerned. I believe in certain standards and follow them and voice them. If you don't well that's life, and I won't label you anything as a result- not until I actually know you from your actions and behavior. But use the word in your workplace to a coworker and see what happens-the n word, the f word-whatever. Luckily we still have some "PC" standards in this world.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 01-19-2007, 03:10 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,999
Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar

Offensive words have thankfully sunk an incumbent senatorial candidate (George Allen) and given Democrats a majority.
True, and it wasn't just the words. It was the mindset behind those words, and the intolerance that they represent, that so many voters were tired of. Tired of living with, tired of listening to, tried of living under those who represent such a mindset.

Words are just words, right?

Obviously there were other reasons for those election results-but how about them words "Mission Accomplished" ?

Or "Bring em on"?

__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 01-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ntalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,900
Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
and usually demanding special rights to compensate for the alleged victimisation, whether real or imagined.
I think they are simply demanding equal rights, and rightfully so.

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
it is a mite disconcerting to see such a fuss over what are, as BEB said, just words.
Study the historical context in which some of these "just words" have been used, and you will find genocides, apartheid, and many forms of documented discrimination.
__________________
ntalwar is offline  
Old 01-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar
Study the historical context in which some of these "just words" have been used, and you will find genocides, apartheid, and many forms of documented discrimination.

I'm not sure that I would agree. It is the attitudes behind the words not the words in and of themselves.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 01-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #42
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
I think the MOPE mentality is increasingly in evidence in the USA - MOPE standing for "Most Oppressed People Ever".

African-Americans, gays, Jewish Americans, Muslim Americans (even Christians, of late) all vie with each other in the MOPE olympics, each group trying to show that it is really the most oppressed, the most set upon, the most victimised group ever - and usually demanding special rights to compensate for the alleged victimisation, whether real or imagined.

While this trend is certainly not unique to the US (I see examples of the mentality in both Unionists and Republicans in Northern Ireland, for example) it is a mite disconcerting to see such a fuss over what are, as BEB said, just words.
Sounds like some priveledged white male who doesn't want to take any responsibility for his own words when they spout off their own racism, sexism, or hate.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 01-19-2007, 03:19 PM   #43
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy



It is the attitudes behind the words not the words in and of themselves.
This is such a weak argument. Without these attitudes, these words don't exist. These words are part of the attitude.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 01-19-2007, 03:25 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Sounds like some priveledged white male who doesn't want to take any responsibility for his own words when they spout off their own racism, sexism, or hate.

Do you think, as a general principle, that a victimhood mentality is something to be encouraged, or discouraged?
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 01-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 12:29 PM
But I think that even if you considered "how" he used the word - as a slur against a closeted gay man which ended up outing him, it makes a substantially good case for having him fired. In fact, the way he used the word is worse than the word itself.
__________________

__________________
anitram is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com