Should Grey's Anatomy Actor Be Fired For Using The F Word? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

But isn't this a case of "how it's used"? Given the example above, let's say a co-worker called someone a bitch. He didn't get fired for using the word 'bitch', he got fired for using it towards a co-worker. If he had stumped his towed and yelled "son of a bitch", would he have gotten fired?
Definitely. IMO, it may even be less of a liability using words at a co-worker, because usually there is some reason why this is done or some conflict that may have been resolved. Just using the word in general shows that the person finds it acceptable, even when not directed at someone they know. To me, that's not acceptable professionally, in ANY circumstance.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #17
Gunslinger

Local Time: 01:38 PM
You have to wonder if this incident is being watched very carefully in terms of ratings. The show is, without question, at near peak success in terms of audience ratings. Remember Washington has already been exposed pubically for his on-set assault against Demsey. There is already friction on the set. You would have to consider the likelihood of bad press being good press for the show. The media believes that people like reading and hearing about this. In turn, the studio may believe this is a ticket to grab more of an already huge audience.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:52 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:38 PM
Storm in a teacup.

Sticks and stones, people...

If people didn´t make such a big fuss about these words than sooner or later they would lose all their power and they would stop being used out of their sheer futility.

Shrug it off and ignore the bastards.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

i really couldn't care less.

and while "faggot" -- when used by a straight person -- makes me quite uncomfortable, it doesn't have the same historical weight as "nigger."

it just doesn't.

it might be every bit as hateful, but i would even say that the "n-word" makes me, as a white boy, more uncomfortable than the "f-word."
Old 01-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

and while "faggot" -- when used by a straight person -- makes me quite uncomfortable, it doesn't have the same historical weight as "nigger."

it just doesn't.

it might be every bit as hateful, but i would even say that the "n-word" makes me, as a white boy, more uncomfortable than the "f-word."

That's interesting to me, thanks for your perspective. But as we all know, you aren't TR and you and he don't share the same makeup-and you aren't both in the same place as far as your sexuality and all the surrounding issues, perhaps. I don't know you or TR enough to say for sure, it's based upon assumptions I am making based upon what I do know about both of you. I don't mean to sound condescending- but just to make the point that people are different, sensitivities are different. I know he also said on Ellen that he has never been called that word before, at least that he has heard.

And I just think it just has no place whatsoever in the workplace, period-end of story. Actually TR did say on Ellen that he was around the corner and heard it on the set the first time.

If it is all just "sticks and stones", then why aren't all of these hateful and hurtful words allowed to be directed at others on Interference? Just to give one example. It's so easy to say "shrug it off" when you aren't the target of it, and you don't have to live with all the surrounding hate and discrimination on a daily basis.

It's also interesting to me that Isaiah is black, I just wonder how he would react if a fellow GA actor used the n word to refer to him.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #21
Gunslinger

Local Time: 01:38 PM
Lets face it. Washington is an assaulting, potty-mouthed fool and America wants to watch it.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Roland of Gilead
Lets face it. Washington is an assaulting, potty-mouthed fool and America wants to watch it.
I want to watch Grey's Anatomy because I really enjoy the show. I don't want to watch homophobes, racists, people who use that word and then go on to play scenes with that person-and all I can think about is him calling him that word. Nope I don't, even though I'm an American.

What about what is going on with the British Big Brother-do British people want to watch that?
Old 01-19-2007, 01:53 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

If it is all just "sticks and stones", then why aren't all of these hateful and hurtful words allowed to be directed at others on Interference? Just to give one example. It's so easy to say "shrug it off" when you aren't the target of it, and you don't have to live with all the surrounding hate and discrimination on a daily basis.

It's also interesting to me that Isaiah is black, I just wonder how he would react if a fellow GA actor used the n word to refer to him.
Because people HAVE consistently given those words the power to hurt. I don´t think I could care less about words being said to me. I never have. Just be confident and secure in yourself and words will never hurt your pride.

I remember in high school, whenever we gave someone a nickname and they didn´t like it we would use it a lot more because we knew it would get under his or her skin. Whenever they didn´t care about it usually just lost all point in existing and nobody ever remembered it.

I think it´s time to leave those words in the past. Strip them from their power. Ignore them.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:00 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy

Because people HAVE consistently given those words the power to hurt. I don´t think I could care less about words being said to me. I never have. Just be confident and secure in yourself and words will never hurt your pride.

People may have given those words power but they also have intrinsic, historic, hateful power. To deny that is naive, sorry.

And you can't project your attitude towards it onto everyone else and just expect them to feel the same way. Life just doesn't work that way, relationships just don't work that way. Frankly I think it's a very self-centric and self centered way in which to operate and live. If we all went around living like that that there would be a helluva lot more problems than we have now.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:02 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

People may have given those words power but they also have intrinsic, historic, hateful power. To deny that is naive, sorry.

And you can't project your attitude towards it onto everyone else and just expect them to feel the same way. Life just doesn't work that way, relationships just don't work that way. Frankly I think it's a very self-centric and self centered way in which to operate and live. If we all went around living like that that there would be a helluva lot more problems than we have now.
Obviously I can´t expect it from people. But I can sure as hell suggest it.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy

Obviously I can´t expect it from people. But I can sure as hell suggest it.
You can suggest it all you want, but you have to live as if the suggestion has no weight or importance whatsoever-because you aren't them and they aren't you and we all have to exist in this world together. Like it or not, that's how it is.

This is something I read the other day about a real life "Philadelphia"-only difference is that he doesn't have AIDS. This is the kind of thing that gay people have to face in a "professional" workplace.

The link isn't working, so here's the whole story.

By MARCUS BARAM

Jan. 18, 2007 — - It's a scenario reminiscent of the Oscar-winning Tom Hanks movie "Philadelphia."

A gay lawyer at a prestigious white-shoe law firm claims that he experienced discrimination and homophobic comments from his co-workers.

Aaron Brett Charney, a 28-year-old associate at New York-based Sullivan & Cromwell, one of the biggest law firms in the country, sued the firm for sexual orientation discrimination, alleging a pattern of anti-gay behavior.

Charney claims that one of the firm's partners, Eric Krautheimer, threw a document at his feet and told him to "bend over and pick it up -- I'm sure you like that" and that partner Alexandra Korry falsely accused him of "carrying on an 'unnatural' homosexual relationship with another male S&C associate," according to court documents.

When Charney filed an internal complaint, partners at the firm suggested that he relocate to a foreign office and fabricated negative reviews accusing him of overbilling clients, Charney claims in the suit filed in New York State Supreme Court in Manhattan. A few hours after filing the suit Tuesday, Charney says the firm told him not to come into the office while they conducted their own internal investigation, and his Blackberry was turned off.

The lawsuit is notable in that associates, who work around the clock for years to become partners, rarely sue their firms for fear of losing their jobs and committing career suicide.

But that didn't stop the young lawyer.

"My career was pretty well sabotaged. They already ruined whatever prospects I had," says Charney. He says that sexual discrimination against gay lawyers is endemic at some firms, and he hopes "that those who were suffering in silence at other firms know that someone was standing up and fighting for their rights."

Sullivan & Cromwell, where Charney has worked since 2005, said in a statement that it had previously investigated the claims and that it "categorically denies Mr. Charney's allegations of discrimination and retaliation."

In general, the firm has a good reputation among gay lawyers. Among the 25 top law firms in New York surveyed in 2003, Sullivan & Cromwell had the highest percentage of gay, lesbian and transgender partners -- almost 7 percent, although it ranked much lower -- at 17th -- for associates, which constitutes 1.48 percent of the total.

"Sullivan Cromwell is far from prejudiced in any way," says John Scheich, the first vice president of the Lesbian and Gay Law Association of New York, adding that the firm often buys a table at his group's annual fundraising dinner dance. "I don't know Aaron Charney or the details of his case, but if I had to line up on one side or the other, I would have to line up with David H. Braff [an openly gay partner at the firm] and Sullivan Cromwell."

Despite Charney's lawsuit and several other similar discrimination cases, gay lawyer groups say that most law firms have become more gay-friendly since 1993, when "Philadelphia" moved moviegoers with its portrayal of an attorney fired because he was gay and HIV-positive.

D'arcy Kemnitz, the executive director of the National Lesbian and Gay Law Association, says that firms have become more receptive to hiring gay lawyers in recent years. In October 2005, NLGLA's annual conference attracted recruiters from 64 law firms and organizations. Last September, NLGLA almost doubled that number, attracting recruiters from 126 employers to its 2006 conference.

Until recently, in states with anti-sodomy laws such as Virginia, "firms said that they would not hire a gay lawyer," says Kemnitz. But in the wake of the Lawrence v. Texas decision in 2003, which struck down the state's anti-sodomy law, things changed. There are now 24 state and regional bar associations for lesbian, gay and transgender lawyers around the country, including in states such as Texas, Wyoming and Missouri.

Yet sexual orientation discrimination persists at many law firms. Eighty-four percent of gay, lesbian and transgender attorneys in Minnesota believe that "bias was a major/moderate problem" at their firms, and 21 percent reported being denied "employment, equal pay, benefits, promotion, etc., due to their sexual orientation," according to a 2006 survey by the Minnesota Lavender Bar Association.

"All the studies indicate a great deal of bias still in the profession," says Kemnitz. "We have to realize just how recent it's been that things have started to change. Now is the time for the legal profession to follow the example of business and improve our commitment to diversity."
Old 01-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:38 PM
Quote:

I think it's self-centric to assume that the standards and values deemed appropriate by easily offended PC American liberalism apply to everyone else.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

I think it's self-centric to assume that the standards and values deemed appropriate by easily offended PC American liberalism apply to everyone else.
Well I think it's offensive for you to suggest that I am PC and "liberal" and easily offended because I feel the way I do. I don't like homophobia or racism or sexism, or any of the hateful and hurtful words associated with all of that. Whatever you think about my feelings, well frankly I don't care I think people should be humane and decent to each oher as far as all that is concerned. It has nothing to do with "pc" or "liberal"-but it's oh so easy for you to classify it as that, isn't it?

Let's just all live in a world in which we call each other the n word, faggots, and any sexist terms you can think of-especially in the workplace when people are just trying to make a living.. What a wonderful world it would be.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Anyone who shrugs off words as being powerless or "just words" are foolishly mistaken. Words are some of the most powerful weapons we have. They've stopped wars, started wars, instilled fear, instilled love, they've made men powerful, and have torn others down.

Don't be naive to think words are powerless.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

So only PC American Liberals hate racism.