Should crimininal defense have limits? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chewystick69
This is why I hate liberals. They don't think rationally. They think with emotion.
Ironic statement of the year, so far.

Melon

Old 03-14-2006, 09:59 PM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Ironic statement of the year, so far.

Melon
Well the year is short.

But it is not irony if there is truthfulness behind my remarks my bearded friend. By the way, does your hat and beard make you more intelligent? I can read you like a book. I'd bet that you are a gay non-catholic.

michael moore or barbara streisand has spoken recently. Keep following them. You keep thinking like hillary clinton, good luck in 2008!

Old 03-14-2006, 10:06 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:25 AM
oh my God, melon really IS Orson Welles!
Old 03-14-2006, 10:09 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewystick69
But it is not irony if there is truthfulness behind my remarks my bearded friend. By the way, does your hat and beard make you more intelligent? I can read you like a book. I'd bet that you are a gay non-catholic.
My hat and beard tell me that you should look up the definition of "irony" sometime. If you're going to burst into a thread and call all liberals irrational and emotional, don't precede it with a bunch of irrational and emotional generalizations yourself.

Quote:
michael moore or barbara streisand has spoken recently. Keep following them. You keep thinking like hillary clinton, good luck in 2008!
Ah...and there you go. Making too many incorrect assumptions. So forgive me if I question the wisdom of those in our criminal justice system. You're not infallible, and DNA testing has released some of the fruits of your labors in recent years.

But that's besides the point. This thread was about limiting criminal defense, not presuming that their defense is correct. A strong prosecution will see through a flimsy defense; but flimsy prosecution solely on circumstantial evidence is always vulnerable. After all, prosecutors have been complaining about the "CSI effect," countering that 3/4 of all cases are based on circumstantial evidence, their reasoning that being the lack of concrete evidence should not be an automatic acquittal in their view. But again, circumstantial cases are always vulnerable.

Just as a side note, I actually studied criminal justice for a year myself. I enjoyed the slides of murder victims, particularly when it came to insects and corpses.

Melon
Old 03-14-2006, 10:21 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Just as a side note, I actually studied criminal justice for a year myself. I enjoyed the slides of murder victims, particularly when it came to insects and corpses.

Melon
not surprising coming from the zombie of Orson Welles
Old 03-14-2006, 10:24 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan
not surprising coming from the zombie of Orson Welles
Old 03-14-2006, 10:26 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Brilliant
Old 03-14-2006, 10:27 PM   #23
The Fly

Quote:

So forgive me if I question the wisdom of those in our criminal justice system. You're not infallible, and DNA testing has released some of the fruits of your labors in recent years.

DNA testing has revealed some wrongful convictions. However, many convictions have been overturned based solely on that the defendant's DNA was not found on the scene. Which is not an accurate assumption as to being guilty or innocent.

The ex-governor of Illionis pardoned all death-row inmates a few years ago because many of them were later found innocent. And rightfully so. But, DNA is not the tell-all of cases. Most evidence technicians never processed crime scenes 10-15 years ago looking for DNA. So it's unfair to judge a case nowadays without that evidence.

By the way, the jury is deliberating this week regarding our ex-crooked gov who pardoned all those killers. I'll celebrate once that GUILTY is read. May he rot in prison despite his multi-million defense.

Melon
Old 03-14-2006, 10:28 PM   #24
The Fly

Hmmm.
That last post was posted by me. Not Melon.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:33 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

My only point coming into this thread was to say that I don't believe that defense cases should be further limited. Our system is flawed, yes, but it's better than the system before it back in the colonial days. I'll agree that a lot of defense cases can be really flimsy, particularly when we start getting into insanity defenses/excuses. I must admit that I don't always buy the idea of "temporary insanity," but I'm also not a judge or legal professional.

So, really, I'm arguing procedure here over substance. Maybe I should have been a lawyer myself.

Melon
Old 03-15-2006, 12:32 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I agree with melon. Based on my experiences, which I admit are somewhat limited compared to others (I've taken courses in law and criminal investigation, my uncle runs the county jail, I have a good family friend who is a defense attorney, have had a peer whose father was tried and convicted for killing his mother, and I've gone through the jury selection process and been selected for a jury myself), I believe the system we currently have in the US is what works. Of course it's not perfect, but I can't think of any way to make changes that would come back to bite millions of people in the ass later on. A lot of defense cases are pretty laughable, but it's up to the jury and judge to see past that. We've got plenty of other aspects to trials than just the prosecution vs. the defense. Grand juries, pre-trial motions, objections, etc....there are plenty of chances for checks and balances on either side. Also, I think there are already enough appropriate limitations on criminal defense (can't win mental insanity unless you can prove the defendend doesn't understand right from wrong, can't win self defense unless you can prove the defendent acted as a result of his/her life being in imminent danger, etc). Often there's much more to a conviction/acquittal than a jury simply deciding whether to convict or acquit. In a lot of cases, the judge will have to instruct the jury based on the charge and the prosecution not only has the burden of removing reasonable doubt, but also proving things like intent, premeditation, etc.

As for the OJ Simpson case, I was still pretty young when it actually happened, but from what I've studied looking back, there were fatal flaws made by the prosecution and if I had to sit on that jury....boy that would be a difficult call to make.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:57 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:25 PM
Quote:
My only point coming into this thread was to say that I don't believe that defense cases should be further limited. Our system is flawed, yes, but it's better than the system before it back in the colonial days. I'll agree that a lot of defense cases can be really flimsy, particularly when we start getting into insanity defenses/excuses. I must admit that I don't always buy the idea of "temporary insanity," but I'm also not a judge or legal professional.

So, really, I'm arguing procedure here over substance. Maybe I should have been a lawyer myself.

Melon
I agree with Melon that the system, with its flaws, is still a very good system. I would be extremely difficult to make a change that would increase the percentage of appropriate convictions without increasing the percentage of inappropriate convictions.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:23 AM   #28
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

The basic premise of our judicial system is a trial by peers (instead of "the Crown" handing down judgment).

Theoretically, you would pull jurors from all aspects of life. However, you lose people who do not respond to jury notices, or who find an excuse for not serving. It is a job that most people would rather not do.

Let's just say I've heard more than one attorney refer to jury pools (the group of potential jurors) as the people not smart enough to get out of jury service.
Ah, thank you. I think your system is very similar to ours but the jury aspect differs only slightly. I actually dont know for certain as I've never been called up, even though I've been on the electoral roll for 12 years and do not have a criminal record!
Old 03-15-2006, 06:05 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:25 AM
I look at all the tools the prosecution has at its disposal and even so, how often they don't play fair. I look at the police chemist whose "expert" testimony helped lead to wrongful convictions and see not just a mistake in lab evidence, but a lab worker who was overeager to please the DA's office. I look at dubious witnesses to whose advantage it is to testify the way the state would like them to testify. I look at exculpatory evidence that must be presented by law and is not. Expert witness whores. And sometimes police officers lie.

The deck is still stacked against the defendant, no matter what the conventional wisdom is, even when the prosecution plays fair. Presumption of innocence is a legal term. Outside of the courtroom, we are not bound by a presumption of innocence. And I suspect that what we call presumption of innocence for the jury is mostly in all practicality the willingness to suspend our presumption of guilt while the jury sees whether the prosecution proves its case.

Sometimes I think a professional jury is codeword for a prosecutor's jury. For all its flaws, I believe in the jury system as it is, because I think when it is a once or twice in a lifetime event, the jury takes their responsibilities seriously. I think their power weighs heavily on them particularly in serious crime cases. They do not want to make a mistake.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:12 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint

Sometimes I think a professional jury is codeword for a prosecutor's jury. For all its flaws, I believe in the jury system as it is, because I think when it is a once or twice in a lifetime event, the jury takes their responsibilities seriously. I think their power weighs heavily on them particularly in serious crime cases. They do not want to make a mistake.
I agree. When I had to serve, we first spent 6 hours being selected. They asked some people some pretty serious questions. Luckily the questions they directed at my specifically were thrown out by the judge. Out of a pool of around 50 that day, our jury ended up with only FIVE people because so many were excused for different reasons and the defendant agreed to a five person jury in order to not have to wait through another selection. Then when it was time for a trial, we spent about 3 hours being prepared for the trial. It wasn't even a signficant trial, a charge that was barely felonious.