should Bush dump Cheney?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
and i ask not because i find Cheney personally reprehensible. perhaps this might be the only way, short of dumping Rumsfeld as well, for Bush to simultaneously rehabilitate his greviously damaged and incompetent administration as well as appoint someone to be the logical front-runner for the GOP nomination in 2008.

the washington post muses:

[q]Should Cheney Be Next?

By Dan Froomkin
Special to washingtonpost.com
Monday, April 24, 2006; 12:39 PM

Even as skittish White House aides brace for another wave of staffing shuffles this week, the bar is being dramatically raised on what sort of personnel move would be needed to actually turn things around for the Bush presidency.

A major newspaper and one of the most pro-Bush voices in punditry are now suggesting that nothing short of removing Vice President Cheney really stands a chance.

The Los Angeles Times editorial board writes: "If President Bush hopes the 'shake-up' of his administration initiated last week will re-energize his listless presidency, he's bound to be disappointed. A far more audacious makeover is needed -- one that sends Vice President Dick Cheney into early retirement."

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld should also go, the Times writes. "Bush has acknowledged that he has spent much of his political capital on Iraq, and the way to replenish the reserves is to replace the officials most associated with the overreaching that led to the tragedy in Iraq -- and with the administration's broader disdain for diplomacy."

Sarah Baxter writes in the Sunday Times of London: "Republicans are urging President George W Bush to dump Dick Cheney as vice-president and replace him with Condoleezza Rice if he is serious about presenting a new face to the jaded American public.

"They believe that only the sacrifice of one or more of the big beasts of the jungle, such as Cheney or Donald Rumsfeld, the defence secretary, will convince voters that Bush understands the need for a fresh start. . . .

"Fred Barnes of the Weekly Standard magazine and author of Rebel in Chief, a sympathetic new biography of Bush, said: 'There are going to have to be sweeping personnel changes if people are going to take a second look at the Bush presidency.'

"The best scenario, Barnes added, would be for Bush to announce that 'Dick Cheney will be around as an outside adviser and I can call him on the phone, but I'd like to anoint somebody who I think will be the next leader of the United States.' "

Meanwhile, the normally all-but-invisible Cheney was in full public view on Friday during the visit of Chinese President Hu Jintao -- and photographers captured images of a vice president who looked disinterested at best.

Jim Bourg of Reuters caught Cheney in a protocol violation, putting on his sunglasses for the arrival ceremony. Later, during the Oval Office meeting of the two presidents, Tim Sloan of AFP shot Cheney looking for all the world like he was sound asleep -- although White House aides apparently insisted he was just looking at his notes.

Baxter, of the Sunday Times, called attention to Cheney's apparent somnolence, then drily noted: "It has often been said that he would cite medical reasons should he ever resign."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/linkset/2005/04/11/LI2005041100879.html

[/q]

i want to look at this not from a partisan angle, but from a purely political strategery angle -- what would you do if you were Bush?

I I were Bush I would have gotten rid of him a while ago. I would do a major shakeup. I would rather have Colin Powell as my VP instead of Cheney. I would love to see Cheney go, but it wont happen.

I'd love to see Cheney out of there as well, but it's doubtful that Bush will do this. I think he likes Cheney's loyalty a little too much for his own good. It was just announced on CNN that Bush's job approval rating is at an all-time low. I can't remember the exact figures, I'm distracted by my packing for my Turkey trip, but it's not looking good for Dubya.

Well, he should do a lot of things.

But he won't. Bush = unlimited hubris. This is a man who will go to his grave without ever admitting he made a mistake. Canning Cheney would be hugely embarrassing to him so it will never happen. And I don't see Darth resigning willingly.

anitram said:
But he won't. Bush = unlimited hubris. This is a man who will go to his grave without ever admitting he made a mistake. Canning Cheney would be hugely embarrassing to him so it will never happen. And I don't see Darth resigning willingly.

but what i find most compelling is that this could fuel his hubris -- he would get to appoint a potential successor in 2008, something his father never got to do.

What would be the political benefit of dumping Cheney at this point? Would all the liberals who hate Cheney start increase their support of Bush? Not a chance.

Well I don't think there's anything Bush could do to make "liberals" even tolerate him at this point so I think the more pertinent question would be whether dumping Cheney would do anything to improve his polls among his base which have also fallen off.

It's too late for Bush to salvage his administration's reputation by dumping Cheney. Also, Cheney is probably the best anti-impeachment insurance Bush has.

this has been, for want of a better word

a co-Presidency

When W had to testify before the 9-11 commission he would only go if he could take Cheney

can you Imagine if Clinton had refused to answer questions without Gore
or
if Bush 1 had refused without Quayle present?

The whole power base / structure that put W in power
only did it with the package deal of Cheney included

Cheney claims executive privilege all the time

other VPs have not made this claim

Cheney is not leaving

W has no backbone or the capacity to go it alone.

Should Bush dump Cheney?

Should I take down the Happy Valentines Day decoration my girlfriend put up two months ago in my room down?

Yes, but not likely going to happen.

Irvine511 said:
and i ask not because i find Cheney personally reprehensible. perhaps this might be the only way, short of dumping Rumsfeld as well, for Bush to simultaneously rehabilitate his greviously damaged and incompetent administration as well as appoint someone to be the logical front-runner for the GOP nomination in 2008.

frankly i don't think any viable republican candidate for 2008 wants any part of this administration in it's current state

Re: Re: should Bush dump Cheney?

Headache in a Suitcase said:

frankly i don't think any viable republican candidate for 2008 wants any part of this administration in it's current state

what about the inevitable establishment candidate -- like Dole in 1996 or Bush in 200 -- the one that Rove will champion? right now, looks like that will be Sen. Allen from VA. might the endorsement of the establishment set him (or someone else) ahead of the pack?

I see McCain being the strongest candidate thus far. His appeal reaches across the partisan divide as he appears to be a moderate who shoots straight. Don't beLIEve the hype. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom