Should a 15 year old "surgen" be allowed in the Guiness book of World Records?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiki

New Yorker
mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it
Should a 15 year old "surgen" be allowed in the Guiness book of World Records?

Got this off Yahoo news. Somehow....this just still doesnt sit right with me.

By MUNEEZA NAQVI, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 48 minutes ago

NEW DELHI - The 15-year-old son of two doctors successfully performed a filmed Caesarean section birth under his parents' watch in southern India in an apparent attempt to set a record as the youngest surgeon, officials said Thursday.
ADVERTISEMENT

Instead, the boy's father could be stripped of his licenses and may face criminal charges.

Dr. K. Murugesan showed a recording of his son performing a Caesarean section to an Indian Medical Association chapter in the southern state of Tamil Nadu last month, said Dr. Venkatesh Prasad, secretary of the association. The video showed Murugesan anesthetizing the patient.

Murugesan told the medical association that he wanted to see his son's name in the Guinness Book of World Records.

However, Amarilis Espinoza, a spokeswoman for the record book, said in an e-mail response to a question from The Associated Press that the organization doesn't monitor or endorse such feats because it would encourage the practice of "bad medicine."

The mother and baby were reported to have come through the surgery successfully.

"We were shocked to see the recording," Prasad told the AP, adding that the IMA told Murugesan that his act was an ethical and legal violation.

Murugesan owns and runs a maternity hospital in the city of Manaparai, Prasad said in a telephone interview from Manaparai. The family could not be immediately reached for comment.

Murugesan, who could possibly be prevented from practicing and face criminal charges for allowing his son to perform the operation, expressed no regret and accused the Manaparai medical association of being "jealous" of his son's achievements, Prasad added.

"He said this was not the first surgery performed by his son and that he had been training him for the last three years," said Prasad.

Prasad said that his team had reported the surgery to the state's top medical association in state capital, Chennai.

State health secretary V.K. Subburaj told reporters Thursday that the government would investigate.

"We'll get the report and then we'll see whether there are any violations ... prima facie it looks like there is a big violation," he said.

"We will definitely take action against the concerned medical officers."

NEW DELHI, so is his son a certified surgeon? What is the process of becoming a doctor there?

"We'll get the report and then we'll see whether there are any violations..."

How can they not know right away?

Something seems very strange about this story. But if it's legal, then I have no problem with it. Surgery is one of those professions that takes skill and knowledge(lots of it), it's not really a profession that requires life experience, so his age doesn't bother me, as long as he has had the proper training.

That being said, it really doesn't seem like he has.

I wonder if the woman knew in advance-what about that? :eyebrow:

It's completely unethical to have your 15 year old who is not a licensed physician perform a surgery in order to get them into the Guinness Book. If he wants to pogo stick or blow bubbles or fart, fine. But not when another person's life is involved. Any doctor with an ounce of integrity would realize that.

I have trouble with this. Clearly he's not a licensed surgeon. I'd hate to have that guy doing my surgery! Ouch! I wonder who's doing the anesthesia.........anyone?

deep said:
This could be the answer to America's health care crisis :shrug: :up:

seriously ?

40 million Americans are without health care

we outsource a good portion of our service economy to India

they have a population of over one billion people

15 year old Indian surgeons
sure could make health care affordable

BonoVoxSupastar said:
NEW DELHI, so is his son a certified surgeon? What is the process of becoming a doctor there?

"We'll get the report and then we'll see whether there are any violations..."

How can they not know right away?
The process is pretty much the same as anywhere else, and no the boy certainly isn't a 'certified' surgeon. The father's now claiming that the story was misrepresented and the boy only watched and minimally assisted with the surgery, but that contradicts his own earlier statements as well as the video recording he allegedly showed at the conference, which as of now seems to have 'disappeared'.

Most likely, the parents will wind up losing their licenses and the 'achievement' will not make it into the Guinness Book...as MrsS said, if true, this was obviously an awful violation of professional ethics, for the most egregious reasons. It's one thing for a trained village midwife or medic to perform a C-section in a situation where there's no doctor to do it, and another thing altogether to show off (at idiotic risk to the patient) that your son can do it merely for the sake of showing off.

I'm not really surprised at this given what it takes to be a surgeon, afterall it doesn't take much of a brain to be a surgeon and by the actions of the father, it's pretty clear he doesn't have much of a brain. :wink:

I think this guy holds the current record:

doogie_howser_showcard.jpg

I still say bring em over here and let him operate on middle-aged Americans

middle-aged Americans have been going over to that part of the world to operate on teens for decades, now

Back
Top Bottom