Shoud atheists celebrate Christmas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownEyedBoy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Christmas is a time to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ our saviour (hence CHRISTmas).

I was just thinking for laughs, aren't atheists being hypocritical when they celebrate christmas and easter?

Nope, because Christmas is a long part of my familys traditions and we celebrate it as a family, nor do I have any problem with Christmas being associated with Christ.

I disagree, while their origins are definitely pagan the celebrations themselves are not and are entwined with Christianity.

P.S. Your "saviour" not mine.

A_Wanderer said:
while their origins are definitely pagan the celebrations themselves are not and are entwined with Christianity.

I agree, the current celebrations are Christian.

PS If Athiests do or don't celebrate Christmas and/or Easter its entirely up to them. Live and let live :up:

The majority of the world hasn't celebrated Christmas in that way(a Christian holiday honoring Christ) in at least a hundred years. This is the retailer's holiday. It's about two things: Being with your family and giving each other presents.

Indeed, except when uppity bastards begin to demand that Christmas becomes Holiday celebrations and everything Christian must be removed - that really ticks me off, we should have pride in our traditions; would the Westerners who post here expect that everything Islamic be hidden away when we are in an Islamic country lest we be offended.

namkcuR said:
The majority of the world hasn't celebrated Christmas in that way(a Christian holiday honoring Christ) in at least a hundred years. This is the retailer's holiday. It's about two things: Being with your family and giving each other presents.

You hit it right on the nail namkuR.

tiny dancer said:

You hit it right on the nail namkuR.

Pity the nail was banging th efoot in your mouth.

MILLIONS celebrate them from a religious perspective.

i celebrate the economy going round. so long as its not on too much credit.

which it always is. so, yes, i am a hypocrite.

and the fact that most people, for a few days, seem somewhat happy.

I'm more agnostic than atheistic, but I'll answer anyway. And my answer is...(drumroll please)...if they want to. Christmas can be celebrated in a completely religious way, a completely secular way, or a combination of the two (I doubt all that many people in the US anyway, celebrate Christmas in a completely religious way). I don't think it is necessarily a religious holiday to everyone now (at least in the US) -- to me that was forfeit when it became a federal holiday -- and so it can be celebrated by anyone who wishes, and in whatever manner.

Last edited:
Christmas Eve is all about the night Christ is born. So if you don't believe in God, then what are you celebrating?

Are you celebrating because everyone else is doing it? Isn't being an atheist all about going against the current and "not following blindly what others swear is true?"

I don't know, I think it's pretty hypocritical of atheists to celebrate it. :silent:

I am celebrating being around friends and family with a fine brandy. It is hardly hypocrisy to enjoy these things and not believing is hardly a case of trying to excercise individuaity or seperate thought from believers, it almost seems as it you think that people don't believe because you do which is self centered, in the best possible way of course.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Christmas Eve is all about the night Christ is born. So if you don't believe in God, then what are you celebrating?

Are you celebrating because everyone else is doing it? Isn't being an atheist all about going against the current and "not following blindly what others swear is true?"

I don't know, I think it's pretty hypocritical of atheists to celebrate it. :silent:

I don't celebrate the "birth of Christ", but I sure as hell celebrate the day off! :wink: Happy now?

BrownEyedBoy said:

Why do you care?

It's a discussion forum, martha. If nobody cared about anything enough to discuss then it this entire site would be pointless. :eyebrow:

Thanks for that blank post, by the way, nice way of contributing to the thread. 4 words, 1 post, nothing to say.

Last edited:
I'll bite then BrownEyedBoy. If Christ died for our sins, did he die for only some of us or all of us? In other words did he die even for those without faith? Faith doesn't change fact. He either did or he didn't. Nothing will change that. If you believe some people who don't have this faith, don't have the right to celebrate Christmas at all, then you're in your own way denying he died for us all.
I dont know if I am explaining this properly. It's one of those crosseyed points.

:love: semantics :love:

People can celebrate whatever the hell they want. I remember back in elementary school, my class had a week where we learned about Kwanzaa and did all the celebrations involved with that holiday (and it's actually a rather neat holiday, for the record). Now, I am not one who regularly celebrates Kwanzaa, yet I did for that week, so am I a hypocrite or something, too?

Angela

BrownEyedBoy said:
Isn't being an atheist all about going against the current and "not following blindly what others swear is true?"

Being an athiest has got buttkiss to do with a desire to go against the current. Why would anyone want to do that? Life is much easier going with the current than against it. It also depends where you live as to whether you are going against the current. Where I grew up any Christians would have been going against the current.

As for "not following blindly" I think every person on this earth, regardles of beliefs, should "not follow blindly' and instead follow whats in their heart.

Getting slightly off topic here but regarding non-Christian celebration of Christmas nevertheless... I spent last Christmas in the United Arab Emirates & Oman - two predominantly Moslem countries. Christmas decorations were all around us and speaking to a few moslems, particularly in Dubai, they said that whilst Christmas was not of great religious significance to them they did appreciate the sentiment of the time and in fact several of them sent Christmas cards to their friends. The point being that it is about being friendly to one other, remembering friends and family, and they could relate to that.

Angela Harlem said:
I'll bite then BrownEyedBoy. If Christ died for our sins, did he die for only some of us or all of us? In other words did he die even for those without faith? Faith doesn't change fact. He either did or he didn't. Nothing will change that. If you believe some people who don't have this faith, don't have the right to celebrate Christmas at all, then you're in your own way denying he died for us all.
I dont know if I am explaining this properly. It's one of those crosseyed points.

:up: ..thats what i call non-exclusiveness ( is this a word)

Some people who are not religious like the historical Jesus. One need not believe in the divinity of Christ or whatever to celebrate Christmas and observe the giving traditions of that holiday. Easter is a bit more of a religious holiday, it's a little harder for me to understand why an atheist might want to celebrate it. But to each his own, if they want to celebrate that's fine.

A_Wanderer said:
I disagree, while their origins are definitely pagan the celebrations themselves are not and are entwined with Christianity.

Bear in mind that I am Catholic, but I disagree.

The Christian Church developed their holidays around the dates of pagan celebrations to "counteract" the pagan celebrations. In fact while no one knows exactly when Jesus was born, biblical evidence suggests that it was not December 25.

If I may ... a link for your review. Christianity has co-opted many pagan symbols and re-interpreted their meanings to suit Church teachings.

Pagan Origins of Christmas

Back
Top Bottom