Shoud atheists celebrate Christmas? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2004, 06:07 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by beli

An atheist could also believe in eating small children for breakfast. .
What about mid-sized children? And can an atheist use the small ones for a late night snack instead?

Old 12-15-2004, 06:11 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:44 PM
hmmm. Will have to ponder that one. I think this in fact the heaviest question asked in this thread....

Old 12-15-2004, 06:14 PM   #48
She's the One

Local Time: 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by beli
BrownEyedBoy, I can not speak for Martha, but to me the way you worded your original question and first post was judgemental.
Exactly. All that "hypocrite" crapola. Other posts were also a little on the smug side as well.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:27 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:44 PM
well, martha, if you must know to me atheists celebrating christmas makes as much sense as me forcing my parents to give me 9 gifts for hannukah even though im not jewish. see my point?

It's like, you take the most convenient part of christianism and use it. Atheists never congregate, read the Bible or do anything an average christian does and yet they reap the benefits of vacationing in Chritstmas- a christian holiday -and all that other stuff.

It's not like I'm complaining, it's just a thought. Relax.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:40 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Atheists dont have any choice about a public holiday at Christmas. Nor do Muslims, Jews, Hindus, etc. Its government enforced in some countries.

As for "reap the benefits", that statement implys you believe being a Christian is hard work and needs a sweetener. If its too hard, give it up. No ones forcing you to be a Christian.

Again, how about you worry about your own household and a little less about what the neighbours may or may not be doing, and whether you approve of it.

PS It sounds exactly like you are complaining.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:47 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Some things aren't to be taken literally.

When I say I am not complaining it's because I am not complaining. I'm not about to go rally against atheists celebrating christmas. I only cared so much as to post it in a forum and talk about it. Period. You seem to misinterpret everything I say and so each time I must go through it again to make it clear.

As for the "sweetener" comment, being Christian believe it or not, really is hard work. Being Christian is all about denying yourself.

...and yet, that is besides the point.

I was simply wondering why atheist deny the existance of God and yet feel perfectly fine when they embrace Christmas (and all it's holiday value), even though Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ, without whom ...uh, there'd be no Christmas.

clear?
Old 12-15-2004, 10:14 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

What about mid-sized children? And can an atheist use the small ones for a late night snack instead?
Oh I have an even harder question - are atheists permitted to eat old men too?
Old 12-15-2004, 10:15 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Im sure being a Christian is hard work, I dont doubt that. Never said it wasnt. But thats your RELIGION, your code of conduct. Atheism is the belief that there are no GOD(S), ie no code of conduct necessarily applicable.

Again Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ to some people. To others its an ancient pagan festival. To others again its the biggest retail period of the year.

Some atheists dont celebrate it. Some exchange presents so their children dont feel left out in society ie dont miss out on a new toy to talk about at school.

I dont know what other holidays you have in Honduras. In Australia we have:

Australia Day = not many people give a stuff about it other than maybe watching the fireworks. I dont know anyone who uses the day to sit and ponder the significance of the federation of states.

ANZAC day - yeah, a few people do honour those who died in the wars.

Labour day = huh?

Queens birthday = pfft

New Years day = wheres the party?

Not a lot of significance is placed on ANY of the days except possibly ANZAC day.

You can start threads wanting to discuss topics if thats your intent but your first post here, and your bigotted joke about what an atheists clothes read more like you are, well, being a bigot than actually wanting to discuss something.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:24 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I don't see what makes me such a "bigot" as you call it if all I'm doing is asking a lighthearted question. Strictly tongue-in-cheek and you've blown this entirely out of proportion.

You said some atheists don't celebrate it... well, why don't they? That's exactly what I'm talking about. The very thought that went through their heads when they decided not to celebrate Christmas is exactly what I thought when I started the thread.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:03 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
You said some atheists don't celebrate it... well, why don't they?
Many Buddhists dont celebrate Christmas as they celebrate Buddha Day instead. I imagine it would depend on what country they were living in. Im guessing some Buddhists would celebrate Christmas as well. (ie exhange presents and have the family dinner)

Some atheists celebrate Solstice instead ie the original festival that the Christians have pasted Christmas on top of. Please refer JessicaAnns link.

etc
Old 12-16-2004, 05:46 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:44 AM
You're right, beli, the whole thing did actually start with the solstice celebration. I was led to believe that Dies Natalis Sol Invictus, the Roman holiday Christmas directly comes from, was celebrated on the 25th because the people who did the Julian calendar miscalculated the winter solstice. Maybe I don't remember it right, it's been eons since I read that stuff and maybe their research was sloppy or something. God knows I have screwed up big time doing research myself, and the big shots do it too. As people have pointed out the early Christians adapted pagan ways to Christianity to make it easier for converts to practice their new religion.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:38 PM   #57
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
I still don't know why BEB cares so much.
Why does anybody care to start any topic?

There is good discussion going...I say that we just let it continue and not nitpick about why it was started.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 12-16-2004, 08:59 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Oh I have an even harder question - are atheists permitted to eat old men too?
ewww.... We're allowed, but we prefer the young and tender. We'll leave all the old men for you Christians to munch.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:23 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:44 PM
Times like this, I am glad to be a Malaysian. We are made up of three main ethnic groups, and everyone celebrates Eid Al-Fitr, Deepavali, Chinese New Year and Christmas together. It's about maintaining harmony and rapport.

foray
Old 12-16-2004, 09:25 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:44 PM
I forgot to add that it also makes for more public holidays, which is FAB.

foray