Shoud atheists celebrate Christmas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 3-year old's Kindy teacher explained the whole Christmas concept rather well when she said that Christmas time was a birthday party. We have cake, special food, presents, cards, special songs and all our favourite people around us to celebrate Jesus' birthday.

I don't know about anyone else, but at any party I have all of those things listed above are included. I don't think that I would not invite any of my friends to help me celebrate because of a particular belief that they held that was different to mine. Isn't that the main concept of most religions - to be tolerant towards each other and to love one another no matter what (ie, no matter what religion, politics, sexual orientation or whatever a person is)?

Personally, I am not a very religious person, but I love Christmas. I love the fact that people are thinking of each other and that they make the effort to spend time with familyand friends. To question whether people should have the opportunity to celebrate Christmas because of a belief they have doesn't sound very Christian like at all.

I'm sure the stores don't mind what religion (or lack thereof) someone is when they buy a bunch of presents, and I bet no one minds getting a present from someone regardless of their belief system.

deep said:
Merry Xmas

and to all the sun whorshipers

a Happy New Year

Remember that the X in Xmas really means the Greek letter Chi, the first letter of "Christos" or Christ.

cardosino said:

Pity the nail was banging th efoot in your mouth.

MILLIONS celebrate them from a religious perspective.
:confused: I thought that celebrating nails and jesus was on another day.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Christmas Eve is all about the night Christ is born. So if you don't believe in God, then what are you celebrating?

I don't know, I think it's pretty hypocritical of atheists to celebrate it. :silent:
I celebrate it because the days are getting longer again and light is on his way and why does cristians say that athiests are hypocrital :confused: I know a lot of cristians are hypicritical to, they only go to church on christmas.

It doesn't bother me if atheists celebrate Christmas. While I bet they care little about the meaning behind it, it's a time to spend with your family and friends like no other. Completely ignoring all the consumer chaos, people are less selfish, more selfless, more caring and giving. I think we should get all 12 days of Christmas. Wouldn't that be something? (Hey, Hanukkah has been getting 8 days for years, why not?)

While Athiests may not acknowledge the divinity that's at the foundation of Christmas celebrations, i think most would agree with the ideals that come out of the belief system...especially universal ideas of love, peace, charity, piety, etc. These are ideals that most belief systems/religions (even Athiestic) have in common.

[Also, with regard to Islam, Moslems also believe in Christmas, in the sense that they acknowledge Jesus' God-induced miracle virgin birth. They just don't really go all out to celebrate it. They have at least two major festive Christmas-like celebrations.]

Judah said:
...especially universal ideas of love, peace, charity, piety, etc. These are ideals that most belief systems/religions (even Athiestic) have in common.

There is no code of conduct for atheists. Atheist simply means 'no god". An atheist could believe in love, peace, etc. An atheist could also believe in eating small children for breakfast. There are no rules.

Please, I feel like Im repeating myself endlessly here.

marhta, I don't know why you care why I care.

It's just a question. A topic conversation with completely nothing to do with the atheist thread.

It's just a topic. A thought. I don't see why it bothers you that I asked that question. People have asked questions about nude beaches and you haven't piped in with an ever-so-clever "why do you care?". :eyebrow:

beli said:

An atheist could also believe in eating small children for breakfast. .

What about mid-sized children? And can an atheist use the small ones for a late night snack instead? :wink:

well, martha, if you must know to me atheists celebrating christmas makes as much sense as me forcing my parents to give me 9 gifts for hannukah even though im not jewish. see my point?

It's like, you take the most convenient part of christianism and use it. Atheists never congregate, read the Bible or do anything an average christian does and yet they reap the benefits of vacationing in Chritstmas- a christian holiday -and all that other stuff.

It's not like I'm complaining, it's just a thought. Relax.

Atheists dont have any choice about a public holiday at Christmas. Nor do Muslims, Jews, Hindus, etc. Its government enforced in some countries.

As for "reap the benefits", that statement implys you believe being a Christian is hard work and needs a sweetener. If its too hard, give it up. No ones forcing you to be a Christian.

Again, how about you worry about your own household and a little less about what the neighbours may or may not be doing, and whether you approve of it.

PS It sounds exactly like you are complaining.

Some things aren't to be taken literally.

When I say I am not complaining it's because I am not complaining. I'm not about to go rally against atheists celebrating christmas. I only cared so much as to post it in a forum and talk about it. Period. You seem to misinterpret everything I say and so each time I must go through it again to make it clear.

As for the "sweetener" comment, being Christian believe it or not, really is hard work. Being Christian is all about denying yourself.

...and yet, that is besides the point.

I was simply wondering why atheist deny the existance of God and yet feel perfectly fine when they embrace Christmas (and all it's holiday value), even though Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ, without whom ...uh, there'd be no Christmas.

clear?

indra said:

What about mid-sized children? And can an atheist use the small ones for a late night snack instead? :wink:
Oh I have an even harder question - are atheists permitted to eat old men too?

Im sure being a Christian is hard work, I dont doubt that. Never said it wasnt. But thats your RELIGION, your code of conduct. Atheism is the belief that there are no GOD(S), ie no code of conduct necessarily applicable.

Again Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ to some people. To others its an ancient pagan festival. To others again its the biggest retail period of the year.

Some atheists dont celebrate it. Some exchange presents so their children dont feel left out in society ie dont miss out on a new toy to talk about at school.

I dont know what other holidays you have in Honduras. In Australia we have:

Australia Day = not many people give a stuff about it other than maybe watching the fireworks. I dont know anyone who uses the day to sit and ponder the significance of the federation of states.

ANZAC day - yeah, a few people do honour those who died in the wars.

Labour day = huh?

Queens birthday = pfft

New Years day = wheres the party?

Not a lot of significance is placed on ANY of the days except possibly ANZAC day.

You can start threads wanting to discuss topics if thats your intent but your first post here, and your bigotted joke about what an atheists clothes read more like you are, well, being a bigot than actually wanting to discuss something.

Last edited:
I don't see what makes me such a "bigot" as you call it if all I'm doing is asking a lighthearted question. Strictly tongue-in-cheek and you've blown this entirely out of proportion.

You said some atheists don't celebrate it... well, why don't they? That's exactly what I'm talking about. The very thought that went through their heads when they decided not to celebrate Christmas is exactly what I thought when I started the thread.

BrownEyedBoy said:
You said some atheists don't celebrate it... well, why don't they?

Many Buddhists dont celebrate Christmas as they celebrate Buddha Day instead. I imagine it would depend on what country they were living in. Im guessing some Buddhists would celebrate Christmas as well. (ie exhange presents and have the family dinner)

Some atheists celebrate Solstice instead ie the original festival that the Christians have pasted Christmas on top of. Please refer JessicaAnns link.

etc

You're right, beli, the whole thing did actually start with the solstice celebration. I was led to believe that Dies Natalis Sol Invictus, the Roman holiday Christmas directly comes from, was celebrated on the 25th because the people who did the Julian calendar miscalculated the winter solstice. Maybe I don't remember it right, it's been eons since I read that stuff and maybe their research was sloppy or something. God knows I have screwed up big time doing research myself, and the big shots do it too. As people have pointed out the early Christians adapted pagan ways to Christianity to make it easier for converts to practice their new religion.

Last edited:
martha said:
I still don't know why BEB cares so much.

Why does anybody care to start any topic?

There is good discussion going...I say that we just let it continue and not nitpick about why it was started.

Macfistowannabe said:
Oh I have an even harder question - are atheists permitted to eat old men too?

ewww....:yuck: We're allowed, but we prefer the young and tender. We'll leave all the old men for you Christians to munch. :wink:

Times like this, I am glad to be a Malaysian. We are made up of three main ethnic groups, and everyone celebrates Eid Al-Fitr, Deepavali, Chinese New Year and Christmas together. It's about maintaining harmony and rapport.

foray

Back
Top Bottom