Shoud atheists celebrate Christmas? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2004, 09:06 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:44 PM
I am celebrating being around friends and family with a fine brandy. It is hardly hypocrisy to enjoy these things and not believing is hardly a case of trying to excercise individuaity or seperate thought from believers, it almost seems as it you think that people don't believe because you do which is self centered, in the best possible way of course.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:11 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
Christmas Eve is all about the night Christ is born. So if you don't believe in God, then what are you celebrating?

Are you celebrating because everyone else is doing it? Isn't being an atheist all about going against the current and "not following blindly what others swear is true?"

I don't know, I think it's pretty hypocritical of atheists to celebrate it.
I don't celebrate the "birth of Christ", but I sure as hell celebrate the day off! Happy now?

Old 12-14-2004, 09:12 PM   #18
She's the One

Local Time: 05:44 AM
Quote:
Christmas Eve is all about the night Christ is born. So if you don't believe in God, then what are you celebrating?

Are you celebrating because everyone else is doing it? Isn't being an atheist all about going against the current and "not following blindly what others swear is true?"

I don't know, I think it's pretty hypocritical of atheists to celebrate it.
Why do you care?
Old 12-14-2004, 09:15 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:44 AM
It's a discussion forum, martha. If nobody cared about anything enough to discuss then it this entire site would be pointless.

Thanks for that blank post, by the way, nice way of contributing to the thread. 4 words, 1 post, nothing to say.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:13 PM   #20
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:44 AM
I'll bite then BrownEyedBoy. If Christ died for our sins, did he die for only some of us or all of us? In other words did he die even for those without faith? Faith doesn't change fact. He either did or he didn't. Nothing will change that. If you believe some people who don't have this faith, don't have the right to celebrate Christmas at all, then you're in your own way denying he died for us all.
I dont know if I am explaining this properly. It's one of those crosseyed points.

semantics
Old 12-15-2004, 12:26 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
People can celebrate whatever the hell they want. I remember back in elementary school, my class had a week where we learned about Kwanzaa and did all the celebrations involved with that holiday (and it's actually a rather neat holiday, for the record). Now, I am not one who regularly celebrates Kwanzaa, yet I did for that week, so am I a hypocrite or something, too?

Angela
Old 12-15-2004, 12:36 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:44 PM
Quote:
Isn't being an atheist all about going against the current and "not following blindly what others swear is true?"

Being an athiest has got buttkiss to do with a desire to go against the current. Why would anyone want to do that? Life is much easier going with the current than against it. It also depends where you live as to whether you are going against the current. Where I grew up any Christians would have been going against the current.

As for "not following blindly" I think every person on this earth, regardles of beliefs, should "not follow blindly' and instead follow whats in their heart.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:56 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by beli
As for "not following blindly" I think every person on this earth, regardles of beliefs, should "not follow blindly' and instead follow whats in their heart.
. Could not agree more. The "be yourself" idea may be cliched, but it really is the best thing you can ever do.

Angela
Old 12-15-2004, 01:27 AM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 02:44 PM
Getting slightly off topic here but regarding non-Christian celebration of Christmas nevertheless... I spent last Christmas in the United Arab Emirates & Oman - two predominantly Moslem countries. Christmas decorations were all around us and speaking to a few moslems, particularly in Dubai, they said that whilst Christmas was not of great religious significance to them they did appreciate the sentiment of the time and in fact several of them sent Christmas cards to their friends. The point being that it is about being friendly to one other, remembering friends and family, and they could relate to that.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:35 AM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
:cookiemonster:
Wrong forum!
Old 12-15-2004, 03:58 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:44 PM
why not
Old 12-15-2004, 03:59 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I'll bite then BrownEyedBoy. If Christ died for our sins, did he die for only some of us or all of us? In other words did he die even for those without faith? Faith doesn't change fact. He either did or he didn't. Nothing will change that. If you believe some people who don't have this faith, don't have the right to celebrate Christmas at all, then you're in your own way denying he died for us all.
I dont know if I am explaining this properly. It's one of those crosseyed points.

..thats what i call non-exclusiveness ( is this a word)
Old 12-15-2004, 06:27 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Some people who are not religious like the historical Jesus. One need not believe in the divinity of Christ or whatever to celebrate Christmas and observe the giving traditions of that holiday. Easter is a bit more of a religious holiday, it's a little harder for me to understand why an atheist might want to celebrate it. But to each his own, if they want to celebrate that's fine.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:45 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
why an atheist might want to celebrate it.
if most of his friends are christians and he wants to join in the fun part of it..

OR just for the sake of it.. Just celebrate !!! You get to celebrate and dont need to believe anything to celebrate...isnt that fun...tell me
Old 12-15-2004, 08:04 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I disagree, while their origins are definitely pagan the celebrations themselves are not and are entwined with Christianity.

Bear in mind that I am Catholic, but I disagree.

The Christian Church developed their holidays around the dates of pagan celebrations to "counteract" the pagan celebrations. In fact while no one knows exactly when Jesus was born, biblical evidence suggests that it was not December 25.

If I may ... a link for your review. Christianity has co-opted many pagan symbols and re-interpreted their meanings to suit Church teachings.

Pagan Origins of Christmas