Shop at Wal-Mart, Stop.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zoney! said:
Wal Mart is America though! America thrives/lives for our own currency/profit...and who is better at building a profit than Wal Mart?

If that's true then I find it extremely sad. There are so many things in life far more important than making a quick profit.

Walmart might be good at making a profit but at what cost? We've already heard some of the appalling abuses of employees and are aware of the impact Walmart can have on local communities. Are those things less important than making a profit?

zoney! said:

Again...Yes, Wal_Mart could be seen as "evil" - I am in complete agreement with this! BUT, what you are being fed by your Union IS IN FACT Union Propaganda (I'm still wondering how the punch is!?). The grocers union controversy in SoCal right now is due to Wal-Mart. Do you see the realtionship?

In this case, the Von's and Ralph's are JUST as bad as the Unions and Wal-Mart in this whole picture.

Why are the Unions bad:
They are nothing more thn companies just like the Vons and Wal-Marts who are out there to turn a profit - often putting up this front of "working for the small guy." The unions ask the "small guy" to go and picket these grocery stores and bother customers to scare them away from the stores. Some of the picketers have followed customers to their cars, yelling at them. HELLO...what happens when this strike is settled? These same people the picketers bothered, with be 1) shopping at Wal-mart or 2) getting their revenge on the produce clerk who harrased them. NO ONE WINS in the end.

What i love about this post is that it takes what Unions do, strike, once in a while, and makes it sound as if they are harrassing people.

First off, are you a union employee or have you ever had a carrer, not a part-time job, as a union worker?

If, presently, you are working a non-union job and i came to where you worked and took your job or supported the company that you were fighting with, would you be gracious with me and ask me to come back soon. NO. Your job, family, life are on the line. You will do anything to protect that.

I dont despute that Unions are like companies, there are good ones and bad ones. But unlike compnaies there are a look more good ones then bad.

What you fail to mention is what Unions are good for. I feel that I am in the minority of people that visit FYM that is a union worker. I am going to enlighten people on the good things unions can do for employees and for badly managed companies:

They protect the rights of the employee first and foremost. They are not out to 'get' the company, far from it, they want a thriving company as much as anyone for it keep there members at work.

They keep bad management in line. They protect the employees from being mistreated, harrassed, discriminated againist and a host of other checks and balances.

They ask companies to pay their employees accordingly. In line with industry averages, inflation, and in realtion to what a company makes. For example, if a compnay were to be making profits like Wal-Mart then why should employees be making 7 bucks an hour?

They hold companies acountable for benefits and senority.

What people dont understand, especially people who dont work for a union, is that most union employees arent making 100K a year. They make enough to support a family and thats all they ask for. For people to look down on them for reasons as stated in the above post, i ask you one thing, put yourself on the picket line, imagine your family at home barely making ends meet, and people walking through YOUR picket line and people taking YOUR jobs, and see how you'd react.

The day people that bash unions are in a union postion they will understand, they will see the good and bad side of a union and say to themselves, hmm maybe having a organization that can stand up to a compnay is something that is beneficial to me!

nbcrusader said:

Exactly. Unions do not like Walmart because they have not been able to profit off of Walmart.
A number of generalizations and partial facts

bonoman said:
I dont despute that Unions are like companies, there are good ones and bad ones. But unlike compnaies there are a look more good ones then bad.

Any basis for this statement? I know some continue to portray the romanticized notion that unions are only in it for the common worker - if we had more data on the workings o unions and the pay rate of top officials I bet you would come to a different conclusion.

bonoman said:
What people dont understand, especially people who dont work for a union, is that most union employees arent making 100K a year.

Union employees are fodder for the union boss?s high salaries.

In case you missed it in the other threads, there are union workers who post here at FYM and it appears they do not share the same enthusiasm for the union as you. I will let them respond to the specifics.

bonoman said:
What i love about this post is that it takes what Unions do, strike, once in a while, and makes it sound as if they are harrassing people.

I was not talking about the "scabs" who were crossing the line...I am talking about the CUSTOMERS that these strikers were harrassing. CUSTOMERS. That is plain wrong.

I have never had a Union job...BUT I work in a VERY Unionized industry. NBCrusdaer has taken on some of your comments that I would argue. I agree with him here, you are not eeing the total light on Unions...your Union has done its job. You have "had too much punch" as I hear our Industry Union folks say all the time. They create this fever amongst the unionites - it is cult-like.

I have seen some horrible work rules imposed by Unions that are very anti-customer service...this leads me to believe that Unions don't give a crap about "the company" - or anyone beside themselves.

This seems to be circulating on the candidate's blogs:

From the Clark for President
blog

Senator Kerry has over 1 Million invested in Wal Mart stock. According to Senator John Kerry's personal financial disclosure forms filed in 2003 he has between 1,000,000 and 5,000,000 invested in WalMart stock.

This information should go to every union person even considering voting for Kerry. Union members should know about WalMart.

*Sigh*

I worked for Ass*Mart over a Christmas season as a cashier and they were BY FAR the WORST employer I've ever had.

- I was written up for clocking out 3 minutes late. 3 MINUTES, even though they made me work in their clearance center a 5 minute walk away from the store!

- I worked through SO many of my breaks I lost track. If I DID get one, I had to clock out, even for my coffee breaks and though I was clocked out, I wasn't permitted to leave the store, even to get food because they might have to call me back to the tills if they got busy.

- I called in sick ONCE because I literally couldn't walk I was so ill, and I've NEVER been given so much attitude over the phone.

- My immediate supervisors verbally abused all the new hires if we made TINY mistakes on the tills.

- The corporate culture there is just ... CREEPY. GIANT smiley faces on the floors and the walls, a HUGE photo commemorating the founder of wal*mart's DOG that just WATCHED you have lunch.

- REALLY ... could the blue smock be LESS FLATTERING!?

p.s. I outright REFUSED to do that shitty-ass cheer. :evil:

Back
Top Bottom