Shooting at University of Arizona

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparkysgrrrl

War Child
http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/Southwest/10/28/university.shooting/index.html

Four dead at University of Arizona nursing school
Monday, October 28, 2002 Posted: 1:32 PM EST (1832 GMT)

TUCSON, Arizona (CNN) -- Two professors were shot and killed Monday at the University of Arizona's College of Nursing, a university spokeswoman said.

The gunman then may have committed suicide, according to the college's Web site, and Tucson police said there was a fourth fatality but would not identify the person.

A witness said a student angry over being barred from midterm exams entered a classroom and began shooting with a handgun.

The witness said the gunman fired at one professor as a number of students ran out of the classroom where exams were being given. He said the gunman then fired at a second professor. Both professors were women.

The gunman, he said, then allowed the rest of the students in the room to leave.

University spokeswoman Lisa Wakefield said that the college and surrounding buildings were evacuated after the shootings at 8:40 a.m. (11:30 a.m. EST). Besides the College of Nursing, other buildings closed included the College of Pharmacy, Life Sciences North and Basic Sciences, police said.

The University Medical Center and other treatment facilities remained open.

Police said people who fled the college after the shootings were gathering at a nearby alumni center, where counseling was available.

University of Arizona is a gun-free zone, something that -- as usual -- did nothing to prevent a mass shooing....

"The U.S. government surveyed 1,874 felons, and found that 40 percent said they had at one time decided not to commit a crime because they were afraid the victim was carrying a firearm. Too bad the signs prominently displayed around campus let the criminals know we're all defenseless."

Last edited:
yup, its crazy..... i'm sure i'll hear 'bout it forever and a day considering its in my city; the news is gonna milk it for all its worth:rant:

<---- future student @ the UofA

Last edited:
S.P.R. said:
University of Arizona is a gun-free zone, something that -- as usual -- did nothing to prevent a mass shooing....

"The U.S. government surveyed 1,874 felons, and found that 40 percent said they had at one time decided not to commit a crime because they were afraid the victim was carrying a firearm. Too bad the signs prominently displayed around campus let the criminals know we're all defenseless."

Yes...that also means that 60% of the felons didn't give a shit if the victim had a handgun or not. I'm certain that would mean that these felons would be more combatative and would shoot the victim immediately, before the victim even noticed the felon.

Have we ever looked at the benefits of having a gun-free nation?

Toronto had around 8 murders in 2001. Buffalo, NY had around 100. And lest we forget all those family members who ended up getting accidentally shot and killed, because someone had to have a gun in the house. Do we REALLY think that if everyone had a gun we'd all be safe? Nations with the largest percentages of personal firearm ownership in the 1990s were indefinitely embroiled in war and conflict. I don't seriously think we should aspire to be like them.

Melon

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom